Sith Probe Droid - Custom Modification

Walter

Master Member
I have been thinking about modifying the Sith Probe Droid game for a while and I was finally able to get around to it. I wasn't out to make a film accurate prop, I wanted to take the base droid and turn it into something new, as if some junker long ago had found a droid, modified it with logic systems, sensor upgrades and a once new paint job. This is what I came up with.

I put together an album on Flickr for better viewing.

IMG_6682.JPGIMG_6683.JPGIMG_6689.JPGIMG_6690.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Sith Probe Droid custom modI have really

So I cut out the original eyepiece, replaced it with a plexiglass base, cut out the center for future electronics. The back propulsion parts were replaced with a flash light good from a dollar store and some spare hair dryer grates. I also removed one of the globular eyes... just no real need for it.

IMG_6702.JPGIMG_6703.JPGIMG_6704.JPGIMG_6705.JPGIMG_6706.JPGIMG_6707.JPGIMG_6709.JPGIMG_6710.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6690.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 233

Very cool! Can't wait to see it all finished and weathered!

Right before I sprayed the silver I realized that the perimeter of the new eye was really missing some detail, it looked a little boring. I hit the scrap styrene drawer and made a sensor array out of little bits and bobs of different sizes of styrene tubing and flat pieces while resisting the urge to do more than what I was doing.

I wanted a very layered approach with the paint, I knew I wanted some serious paint chipping so I put down a coat of automotive silver I picked up for R2. Following that (once the silver had cured and completely hardened) I sprayed down a layer of a two part clear coat.

IMG_7469.JPGIMG_7470.JPG

With the paint chipping I wanted there to be more depth, so I added a layer of primer and added some more rubber cement masking.

IMG_7629.JPGIMG_7632.JPGIMG_7630.JPGIMG_7631.JPG

oh man i never even thought of this!! really really cool!! you nailed it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I really wanted to have some fun with this and do something different that I had not seen before. I picked up a second one and did some damage to it and the further I got into this project the more the second project began to evolve. This started out as a filler project between working on R2, but it really took off and I am happy with the results.

Here is primer grey in natural light and the next images are the satin white applied. I used the canned krylon for the paint and applied it using an automotive paint sprayer. I have picked up a few of these guns for prop applications and I am sad to say I have had the most success with the less expensive harbor freight spray gun.

IMG_7796.JPGIMG_7797.JPGIMG_7798.JPGIMG_7799.JPGIMG_7800.JPGIMG_7801.JPG

Re: Sith Probe Droid custom mod

A little pop of color. I agonized over this. I wanted orange but thought it looked too much like BB8.

IMG_7828.JPGIMG_7829.JPG

Last edited:

I wish I worked as fast as I have posted these images! I have been working on this little guy in between working on my R2 for the past few months (I had to take a few weeks off during the summer months here in Arizona... the heat was intense). I just now got around to collecting my thoughts, gathering images and posting the progress.

Thanks for following the build though. I appreciate it.

You work fast! Keep 'em coming!!

This is where I really found out how well the layered rubber cement technique worked out and I have to say I was really happy with the look and feel of this beat up little droid. The first thing I did which you can see in the first image was paint a wash in the sensor array of the eye to see how the details showed up. I was very happy with the look.

30819349590_38899c5c6d_m.jpg
Sith Probe Droid Custom Modification. Star Wars by Bryan Babich, on Flickr

31043444012_5f2c60ffac_m.jpg

31072465231_5a200151d5_m.jpg

31072457951_9346512f79_m.jpg

Last edited:

It didn't take me long to start assembling the other parts and putting all of the electronics in their proper place and start weathering the droid. I did go a little too heavy on the first pass so I knocked it back a bit more.

The coloring in these images is off because I shot this at night with a shop light.

Also... the photos are vertical, if you look at the attachments they are vertical, but on the thread they show up horizontal... I don't get it. DM me if you know how to fix this as it is a little annoying.

IMG_7839.JPGIMG_7835.JPGIMG_7840.JPGIMG_7837.JPGIMG_7838.JPG

Last edited:
I was thinking that something was missing from the reimagined droid and then I saw this image from the art of TFA.

IMG_7827.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And last night the plot cut vinyl decals I designed arrived and I quickly put them to work.

30379663633_d0eca38e08_m.jpg

30379671403_7e7749c63b_m.jpg

30819351660_b5a8431e7a_m.jpg

30365608744_3f30f693cd_m.jpg

31150909786_5d674d3017_m.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7827.JPG
    IMG_7827.JPG
    973.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back