RIP David Bowie

Another chapter closed. He lived well and brought joy to so many people.

Somehow I can't get out of my head him and Lemmy being together at the same time in the afterlife-I see God/Odin/Buddha reaching for a set of ear plugs!

You wouldn't find a Buddha in the afterlife. Buddha is a title meaning "The Enlightened One" Given to anyone that has become enlightened. A Buddha will return from death through reincarnation in order to help others find enlightenment.

I do like the idea of them rocking out in the afterlife. But, with their lifestyles and with the way the rules to getting "up there" are, they will both be rocking it out in hell, playing the most epic rock festival known to man! I mean, could you honestly see Lemmy playing a harp on a cloud?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been gobsmacked by this for several hours now. Starting to find words to express the depth and breadth of this loss for me. It's personal, but sadly not in a "I knew him" kind of way. Personal as the losses of Isaac Asimov, Gene Roddenberry, and Carl Sagan were for me. They understood things many people don't, in ways almost no one did. When they spoke, it felt like they were imparting secret universal truths. DMTDeadpool, your post being right before mine is appropriate, as I consider David to be one of the Enlightened Ones.

Even when it was something that didn't resonate with me, I also appreciated how he constantly went forward, constantly reinvented himself, constantly tried on new things. By the time everyone else caught on and started emulating him, he'd already moved on.

I'd been reluctant to pick up Blackstar, due to how much like a final album it was looking to be from the songs and song titles. Now I know it was intentionally so, a goodbye to his fans and listeners. So now I gotta pick it up posthaste.

As popular as Labyrinth is, and as much as I love it, I gotta put The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hunger, and especially The Prestige before it on my list. And I'll add my voice to those praising his songs for Cat People, but again, above that for me is "Real Cool World". I can (and have) listened to that on repeat for over an hour while working on stuff.

I'm pissed to this day that I missed his Outside tour. I also love Nine Inch Nails, and not only having them as his opening act, but that I will never hear, live, David and Trent singing the duet that was written just for the tour -- and specifically for them to sing downstage while the stage was being reset behind them -- is just one of those gaping holes in my life. In the video game of my life, there will always be that "Quest Failed" tag that I can never be rid of.

And, worse even than that, there is now not even the slight, faint hope that he might one day get re-inspired, ring up Brian Eno, and finish out the other two acts of the Outside Triptych. I do hope one day to at least see his notes for them. I want to know more of Nathan Adler's story.

Saying "this hurts" and "I miss him" are hollow and egregious understatements. Like saying the ocean is wet. Accurate, but woefully inadequate. I am tremendously grateful to have been alive and sapient on this planet at the same time he was.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday from 2002 was my favorite song of his. I grew up with my dad giving me his Bowie records and listening to them constantly. Will miss him.

It's pretty crazy that he just released a new album and video on the 8th!

Last edited:
The sheer volume of GREAT, GREAT stuff he produced during his career, is staggering.

Planet Earth is blue, & there's nothing we can do... :(

There has to be a biopic with Dane DeHaan being thought of???

220px-Dane_DeHaan_May_2015.jpg
tumblr_inline_n15l7aGsjU1svdms0.jpg

J

Since I'm a '70s child, I grew up listening to his music and discovering how his chameleon persona could easily change from one record to the other. Great musician, actor and above all a great Artist :cool I don't like Monday:cry

I never took the time to get into his music, though I'm certain I would love it. I know he was a major influence to Depeche Mode, my all time favorite band and was one of their biggest heroes. I have to make the time for Bowie. He is a legend.

As an artist he was one in a million and his innovation and presence was unlike any other. What a loss to the world. Rest in peace Starman.

Anyone else find themselves more upset over this than any other famous persons death...

Idk why, I guess it's because I am a musician/singer/songwriter...

But I've lost many of my favorites...

Idk.

I just know this has actually affected me and spurred me to get my new studio location finished... Over 100k worth of PROTOOLS HD equipment just sitting collecting dust while I work on my other projects/business...

At least the loss of him has kicked me in the ass to start writing/ recording again. In fact 2 friends that I jam with met up with me yesterday all agreed that we are going to go ahead with 3 or 4 of our riffs that our jams stem from and complete them.

Sorry to bore you with my personal life, I just wanted to share and... Vent? I guess.

Side note can any of you make it through the new music video without a lump in your throat???

Biggest most powerful musical/statement of ALL TIME.

BUY THIS ALBUM AND LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES WITH NO INTERUPTIONS STAT.

You were the best Dave. Even homophobes love you. No one ever cared what his personal life was etc. he was someone different every time he took on a project.

I thank God for him being in my life and in the lives of my other favorite singers/musicians.

Yeah, depeche mode would've never existed... But he motivated MANY genres that you would never think of... From rap to death metal....

RIP

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back