Tomenosuke BR Blaster kit re bluing result!

budgeysmuggler

I have had some time over the Christmas break to strip and re blue my Tomenosuke BR kit.

I wasn't happy with my first effort, It was dull and patchy. But thanks to Stone dogs bluing guide I have achieved a very pleasing result. I used perma blue this time rather than aluminum black which I used the first time.

Have any of you used super blue? I had though of trying that but wasn't sure if it would take to the metal properly.

Anyway here's some pics.

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

I searched but I must not have used the best search terms...

Is there a link to Stone Dog's bluing guide that you can share here, I couldn't find it. I still need to get started on mine, Thanks!

Is there a link to Stone Dog's bluing guide that you can share here, I couldn't find it. I still need to get started on mine, Thanks!

Here it is : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=174014&p=3475051&viewfull=1#post3475051

If you follow his guide closely you shouldn't have much trouble achieving a really clean finish.
pay close attention to this part

" You will find that after three or four applications in the steps above you wont need the steel wool so much and any slight patches can be blended away just using the cloth with bluing solution, wiping it on then quickly and briskly rubbing with some clean/dry kitchen towel."

The wiping off quickly part is the difference between it being consistent in colour. Otherwise it will look patchy. I used cotton makeup removal pads for this part

Thanks again to stonedog7563 for your excellent guide!

Here it is: http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=4528&highlight=tomenosuke+bluing

This is my bluing guide...

1. Sanding, sanding, sanding, going from grid 600 til 1200.
2. Finished sanding process with Liberon steel wool grade 0000. Put some effort into this phase, the smoother the surface, the better the bluing fluid adheres.
3. One thing I learned at this stage: Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH the receiver from this point on with anything else than clean paper towels!! Not even with the rubber gloves. Even the tiniest stains will effect the final result.
4. Clean the receiver with acetone.
5. Rub receiver with clean and dry paper towels.
6. Apply Birchwood Casey Perma Blue (concentrated liquid) with cotton pads evenly all over the receiver.
7. Rub receiver with clean and dry paper towels.
8. If you get smudges (you will!), rub the smudges with cotton pads (with bluing fluid on), then directly thereafter rub off the bluing fluid with paper towel. Repeat this stage til you get an even finish.
9. Seal the parts in acid free oil (I had them soaking for 3 days).
10. Polish with wax, for instance Renaissance Wax.
11. Buff with polishing cloth (for jewelry).

Pictures here: http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=4787&highlight=tomenosuke+bluing

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back