Interesting article on new xbox

Mainly a games console is a statement that's veracity is entirely up to who is using it.

A 360 has several functions beyond playing games. Some of which will not work without an internet connection.

An XB1 has several functions beyond playing games, some of which will work without a connection to the internet.

Your complaint seems to be that this machine is not what you expect out of a new machine, and that microsoft is making a horrendous decision by not meeting your expectations. I suggest you adjust your expectations accordingly, because microsoft doesn't care about them. If you want a thing that just plays games, no questions asked, there are other machines that will do that and you won't hurt microsoft's feelings by using one of them.

Making the connection required every 24 hours for gaming will not end up hurting them much in the long run, and the more connected the world gets the less of an issue it will be for everyone. Which is why I'm fine with embracing it now to go forward.

And as far as my sarcasm goes, I displayed an edit almost immediately following my 'magic' statement, letting it be known that I may have misread you. But I stand by my comment that a smart tv when nerfed by no internet connectivity isn't that smart.

EDIT for clarity's sake:

I made the reference to things that still worked when offline purely to display that the machine does not 'brick' when unconnected, as so many have hyperbolized. I'm not saying those are ideal reasons to buy or own the damn thing :lol

Mainly a games console is a statement that's veracity is entirely up to who is using it.

A 360 has several functions beyond playing games. Some of which will not work without an internet connection.

An XB1 has several functions beyond playing games, some of which will work without a connection to the internet.

Your complaint seems to be that this machine is not what you expect out of a new machine, and that microsoft is making a horrendous decision by not meeting your expectations. I suggest you adjust your expectations accordingly, because microsoft doesn't care about them. If you want a thing that just plays games, no questions asked, there are other machines that will do that and you won't hurt microsoft's feelings by using one of them.

Making the connection required every 24 hours for gaming will not end up hurting them much in the long run, and the more connected the world gets the less of an issue it will be for everyone. Which is why I'm fine with embracing it now to go forward.

And as far as my sarcasm goes, I displayed an edit almost immediately following my 'magic' statement, letting it be known that I may have misread you. But I stand by my comment that a smart tv when nerfed by no internet connectivity isn't that smart.

EDIT for clarity's sake:

I made the reference to things that still worked when offline purely to display that the machine does not 'brick' when unconnected, as so many have hyperbolized. I'm not saying those are ideal reasons to buy or own the damn thing :lol

No. The unit is sold as a games console. Thats what I was refering to. What complaint of mine are you on about may I ask? Just for clarification.

The point being I said it work. And it does. To say the statement. A smart tv with nobinternet connection does not work. Is incorrect. To say that it does. Regardless wether its full capacity is a correct statement.

Heres where were at tho. Youre answering other peoples criticisms. Regarding the brick etc. As though theyre all my points. But they arent. Sure I may defend some points. Such as to me is it is about as useless as a brick. As I already have stuff that does most of those features. But iv never used this as basis for my sole argument on why you shouldnt buy one. So why are you responding as though I have?

MY CONPLAINT. To clarify. Is that I must be authenticated every 24 hrs. So any connection troubles. Yes not often but it happens. Would disable what I and most other people wouldnt buy if xbox didnt have it. That being games. I doubt anyone will buy it knowing the game part wont work. Im sure most people would still buy it without kinect. Meaning i think the general population would agree with me that games for the xbone is the most important aspect.

Furthermore, that I have to trade where they say I can. Which gives companies price dictation. Yes I know ms isnt going to be that strict. But they do give the whitelist. I wonder if ebay or my friends will be on this list. Doubtfull. Furthermore. If I buy my brother a console then I have to wait a month before he can play my games. Please note this is a scenario based where lots of different instances could be. So no reason to respond to this particular instance. However feel free to respond to the 30 day issue if you have anything to say.
It is also my complaint that ms attitude is they dont care. Had this issue solely affected me. I could understand. But it affects 100s 1000s of customers. And they accept this. As they expect everyone to accept their new terms. When although some points may not affect everyone. At least one will affect the market in some way to almost everyone.
May I add that my initial post had the puspose of saying what I disagreed with ms. And that I think it will bite them on the you know what. And also that if it does. I believe its a good thing and will hopefully make them not expect everyone to accept what new decisions they make for us all just because theyre ms. Yes some may be for better or whatever. But theres no way they even thought they would get this kind of backlash. Which shows they expected everyone to be ok with it. That is all. Everything else said is a direct or indirect respons to others that have responded. So nothing else is my main complaint.

J

Edit.
And not that its my main complaint or threat or whatever. But im pretty sure it would hurt their feelings if I didnt buy xbone. If backed by hundreds of thousands more. Thats the ooint your missing. Im speaking about millions. Not just me. Im really trying to put it across. I dont expect to be special. But I expect a third of the market to be.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Another reason why I'm getting a PS4 over an XB1: Microsoft won't allow indie developers to self publish their games. Sony made it a big point at E3 that they will. Yet another cash grab by Microsoft. Many indie developers have already stated that they will no longer make games for the XBL marketplace for the 360 or the XB1. Great games like Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Journey and Limbo won't be seen on the XB1 but will be encouraged for the PS4.

This also goes against the argument of the XB1 eventually becoming like Steam because of the huge support that Steam gives to indie developers.

Another reason why I'm getting a PS4 over an XB1: Microsoft won't allow indie developers to self publish their games. Sony made it a big point at E3 that they will. Yet another cash grab by Microsoft. Many indie developers have already stated that they will no longer make games for the XBL marketplace for the 360 or the XB1. Great games like Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Journey and Limbo won't be seen on the XB1 but will be encouraged for the PS4.

This also goes against the argument of the XB1 eventually becoming like Steam because of the huge support that Steam gives to indie developers.

Another... Quoted For Truth.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...orld-is-coming-to-every-platform-except-xbox/

Xbox One Does Not Allow Indie Devs To Self-Publish

Al

Last edited:
Not that it matters. I do care. I care about a company that take people for granted. Not individualts but hundreds of thousands especially since it includes me. I dont want to fight back. I just wont be purchasing as its not the best option for me. Its a shame I wont be getting a superior ms device because iv enjoyed many hours on the old one. I also feel they expected me to fork out just cos its new. And I find that behaviour to this magnitude in particular taking the biscuit a bit. Not because its personal against me. But because its not personal against me. Its a middle finger to a lot of people. And I hope they go back to the drawing board. Im not asking to rally the troops here.

Sure sounds like you're taking it personally. Kinda hard for something to be an insult otherwise. It's not an insult. It's a business decision. One you don't happen to agree with. Ok.

It will affect me though wont it. If ms get away with it. Others will follow suit. Luckily at the minute after xbox have destroyed my fave console which is something anyone has right to be a little cross about.

They destroyed your favorite console? Really? They went into your home with a hammer and smashed your 360? No? Then all they did is not cater to your wishes with their new design. You're frustrated that they aren't interested in selling to you. Period. Dress it up any way you like, but that's the bottom line. And I hate to break it to you, but while you have a right to be cross about it, feeling so is a bit naive. Get used to this. It'll happen again. Industries move away from treating you as their target market. Entertainment producers aren't primarily interested in selling to me anymore. Been that way for a while. It's frustrating at times, but hey, life goes on.

Theres an option. You seem to think that people shouldnt be opinionated.

No. I don't, and you've fundamentally misunderstood what I've been saying. Go ahead and be opinionated. Do so with your wallet. Express your opinion that way. I mean, if you want to bitch to folks on the internet, go for it. Enjoy the catharsis. But the way you and some others here have been talking, it's like your whipping each other into this frenzy of righteous indignation about how MS is SO SCREWED because they made a decision that you don't like. They aren't screwed. They'll take a hit on sales, and probably rejigger their policies here or there to avoid the negative armed forces press, and otherwise that'll be that. Life will roll on, people will buy their console, like it even, and the world will keep spinning.

So heres me bowing out. Because I was always taught to never argue with anyone who cant extrapolate from what you are saying.

Yeah. You know, I really should've paid attention to that point too.

I'm pretty sure I already have three or four devices in my living room that all do those other CORE functions perfectly fine. That's not exactly what I would call a sales point.

I don't disagree with you. It's one of the reasons I'm lukewarm on the console, myself. But this gets back to something I talked about much earlier in the thread: I don't think they're really trying to sell to folks like us. We're ancillary dollars. The "nice to haves." They hope -- and are probably right -- that they can get some of us to buy because we really love HALO or all our friends are on XBL or whathaveyou. But they're looking to expand their market to different people who don't have those four other devices which would conceivably cost them more than the price of the XB1. I don't think there's any intention to fleece or gull people here, either (not that you were suggesting there was). I think MS wants to get people interested in the concept of a single device solution for media center stuff. Yes, it plays games, but it does a lot more than that, too.

For folks like us, I'd say that the real question would be whether (A) you're ok with the check-in and DRM features, (B) whether the interface of the XB1 is preferable to some of those other devices or whether it can do what your other devices do only better, and (C) the price.

For me, I'm on the fence about (A). It might be fine, the same as Steam operates. Or it might be a real drag if XBL servers aren't stable. Time will tell. I won't know about (B) until the device has been out for a bit and I can try it at someone's home. I find the 360 Dashboard and how apps work to be fine. I like it a hell of a lot better than trying to run Netflix on my blu-ray player or TV which don't seem to have the processing power to do it as effectively. I think they could make the dashboard a bit more user friendly, but we'll see how that goes with the XB1. The real thing for me is (C). The XB1, so far, at a $500 price point, just isn't a purchase I can justify. It doesn't offer ENOUGH of an upgrade -- even theoretically -- to the stuff I already have. Not to be worth $500. If they cut the price (and they will, eventually), I might bite, but not before. But that's just me and my personal calculus. I can see where someone who doesn't have a receiver or a blu-ray player with wifi/ethernet, or a lower end HDTV that doesn't have VieraCast or a Roku or any number of other devices might say "Wait... I pay $500 and you give me something that does all that?! I'm in!!" I'm not that person, but I'd bet they exist. Certainly MS believes they do...

I didnt call you a monkey. I said a monkey would have understood what I ment. And you did not. So stop telling tales and making stories up.

Dude just own it. Right there you're laying it out perfectly, yet you present the argument as if it absolves you. Ineffectual sophistry. You called him a monkey. :lol

Sure sounds like you're taking it personally. Kinda hard for something to be an insult otherwise. It's not an insult. It's a business decision. One you don't happen to agree with. Ok.

Anyone remember the fan rage against Sony on release of the PS3? It's too expensive, some aren't backwards compatible, it's too expensive, how dare they, blah blah blah. Seems to have done okay. I bought one and it has given me six years of good service. Hard to find people who hate it now.

I'm enjoying MS's discomfiture as much as anyone, to the extent they're feeling it, which may be a lot less than some imagine. I hope the bad reaction does encourage people to think twice about always-on DRM and the like, because I'm certainly no fan of those things. But the reality is that, just like the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman or any of the other events which had fan communities in uproar, most people won't give a damn.

This bears repeating:

Get used to this. It'll happen again. Industries move away from treating you as their target market. Entertainment producers aren't primarily interested in selling to me anymore. Been that way for a while. It's frustrating at times, but hey, life goes on.

Amen! Forsaken, Dimebagslash, is this your first go-around with this sort of thing?

Yeah. You know, I really should've paid attention to that point too.

Ooooh! :lol I need a 'watching tennis' smiley.

Dude just own it. Right there you're laying it out perfectly, yet you present the argument as if it absolves you. Ineffectual sophistry. You called him a monkey. :lol

Anyone remember the fan rage against Sony on release of the PS3? It's too expensive, some aren't backwards compatible, it's too expensive, how dare they, blah blah blah. Seems to have done okay. I bought one and it has given me six years of good service. Hard to find people who hate it now.

I'm enjoying MS's discomfiture as much as anyone, to the extent they're feeling it, which may be a lot less than some imagine. I hope the bad reaction does encourage people to think twice about always-on DRM and the like, because I'm certainly no fan of those things. But the reality is that, just like the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman or any of the other events which had fan communities in uproar, most people won't give a damn.

This bears repeating:

Amen! Forsaken, Dimebagslash, is this your first go-around with this sort of thing?

Ooooh! :lol I need a 'watching tennis' smiley.

I said a monkey was more Intelligent. Indirectly. Calling someone a monkey I see as a racial slurr. Even if hes white lol.

Its not my first go. But its hardly the same as the ps3. I dont care about price or whatever. I dont think its that bad. I mean it aint cheap lol. But I paid 300 gbp for the ps2 years ago. So its not like theyve doubled in the last however many years like a bloody snickers bar. Or house prices. People keep seeming to thing im letting it crap on my day. When I seem up in arms is cos generally the other person didnt take the key point I was trying to make. And hone in on the little details that I was saying to satisfy myself that all points were returned with opposite arguments. When I didnt really care.
Ill tell you why. And here ill let you on a secret. I bareley even play anymore. Itl probably make no to little difference to me. I just find it hard to think theyve been so cut throat. I cant immediatley think of a successful move where someone has been so lah dee dah about a huge number of customers. Again... millions.
And I havent seen a successful comparable. Where its been the same principle. People keep coming up with some analogy that isnt really a successful analogy.

Its very possible that most people do give a damn is what im saying. Its not guarenteed. But for one reason or another ms seems to have peed off a substantial amount of people. By
Altering the user experience. Not just upping a price tag. Im having difficulty seing where anyone has done this before.

Like I said. Even though it will make little to no difference. I will add that ill feel some satisfaction if it backfires. I may even buy one if they revamp. Which I doubt.

For some reason me stating my thoughts has led to incredible depth of conversations on thoughts such as I shouldnt think ms give a damn about me one player. Etc. When iv never really said I expect them to. Im trying to share my view as millions of views. Cos thats what seems to be the picture.

Nearly every human being has at some point opened a newspaper or watched the news and said. 'How dare they!' Even if they arent affected by it or dont really care. Its not personal. Ive repeatedly stated i know this. But low and behold talking to a brick wall has people repeating themselves. I just feel they're being a bit cheeky. And have been repeatedly challenged about it. Which iv then defended my opinion. Its not that hard to see lol

Everyone feels self-entitled to decide what decision Xbox should be making...

We'll come back to this thread in a few months after either the Xbox 1 is obliterated in sales by the PS4 or continues on with marginal sales.

I really enjoyed X-box live even though it cost me $50 a year. Now they've just really set my decision in stone with the pricing, some Netflix rumors, and the sharing issue.
I only ever needed the PS3 as a blu-ray player. Now it will be my main system and PS Network is free.

That's my choice.

I don't need anyone to take MS down because of a console SNAFU...
Edit.
And not that its my main complaint or threat or whatever. But im pretty sure it would hurt their feelings if I didnt buy xbone. If backed by hundreds of thousands more. Thats the ooint your missing. Im speaking about millions. Not just me. Im really trying to put it across. I dont expect to be special. But I expect a third of the market to be.

I actually only bought the ps3 because it made sense as a bluray and for MGS4 and now more and more of my games are being bought on it. The pricing is probably really hurting MS more than the other stuff at the moment, it's going to get the attention of parents whose kids want one and then they'll read all the other things that might worry parents such as the always on mic/camera, the extra costs, and such.

M$ release stuff that don't work and not fixing them:
Zune
Vista
Win ME
Xbone(perhaps)

Between this and windows 8 they have to be hurting. I went to burn a dvd today and found out that windows 8 couldn't run dvd maker so instead of making one they left us with nothing.

One of many, many reasons I dont use new operating systems until they are.... well "usable"

It's just a bloody gaming console.

Not according to microsoft ;)

(I do love the old forza and halo games... But... Really?)

Agreed. Would love the new Forza.. but what to do when M$'s acting the way they are

I'm pretty sure I already have three or four devices in my living room that all do those other CORE functions perfectly fine. That's not exactly what I would call a sales point.

BINGO :)

Incorrect as it wont work without an internet connection, just ask Don Mattrick who told those people to buy a 360

The 360 equated to how many RROD?

in my case: NINE!

I really enjoyed X-box live even though it cost me $50 a year.

Then why cough up that much when you can easily get it for half? :confused

You honestly can't use the RROD excuse anymore and not give Sony it's due either. I'm on my 4th Xbox but my buddy is on his third PS3.

Get what for half? I said I liked Xbox live?:confused What's the context?

And if you like Forza then you have Gran Turismo I suppose.

Xbox live GOLD?

GT? Ew :p it's not the driving part that is Froza's main appeal to me. For me the biggest appeal is the customizing and creating designs and what not.

More controversy.

US lawmakers are taking an Interest in Kinect.

So for now, the "We Are Watching You Act" is strictly an anti-Xbox One bill as the system's Kinect sensor is the only device that meets the qualifications of the bill.
Xbox One: Congressmen Introduce 'We Are Watching You Act' Bill, Targets Kinect Snooping

Companies would also need to provide a camera-free service at the customer's request -- a move that could have big implications for the Xbox One, which requires the Kinect camera to function properly.

Al

Last edited:
Ooh, fun. Why not go the whole way and make it opt-in instead of opt-out? Still if it is an easy online fix that's barely material. Nice.

- - - Updated - - -

You honestly can't use the RROD excuse anymore and not give Sony it's due either. I'm on my 4th Xbox but my buddy is on his third PS3.

What are people doing to them?! I'm in a hot country and mine's been going strong since 2007...

- - - Updated - - -

Eh - read the article and it turns out the opt-in approach *is* what they're proposing. Good stuff!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back