Interesting article on new xbox

... I don't like some of the things MS is doing with the system, but I do hope they change them before launch

When has Microsoft ever changed there failed product ideas before launch.
News flash...Never going to happen!
There arrogance negates any capability of admitting there design failures.

Al

I've actually never played a Halo game believe it or not lol

I currently have a 360 and a PS3, but only for the bluray player, never bought a game for it...

Go out on a limb and get The Last of Us. Ridiculously good game.

I don't like some of the things MS is doing with the system, but I do hope they change them before launch

The way their PR machine has been failing since E3 and the way Don Mattrick is completely oblivious to the criticism and continues to alienate people every time he opens his mouth makes that unlikely.

Characterize it however you like. The industry's still gonna move in that direction over time. It's already doing that, and people are perfectly happy with the services. Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime, even XBL and PS+ are examples of the concept at work. Steam, too. People complain about it, but far more people are perfectly comfortable with the convenience of being able to just download what they want when they want it. And the industry's fine with that because it gives THEM control over the content to a degree. Hell, if broadband speeds were fast enough and processing power worked effectively, you'd never have a game resident on your system again. They'd see to that. It'd be all streaming, all the time. Nothing stored.

Dude, if you're really expecting video game consumers to stand in solidarity because MS is not interested in releasing the XB1 in [Country], you're in for some disappointment. This is a far cry from, say, a company saying "We won't sell to black people" or something.

Don't get me wrong. If that's YOUR personal morals and attitudes, then rock on with your bad self. But the thing about consumer decisions like that is that you have to make it for yourself and only for yourself. If it has a wider impact, awesome. But don't do it specifically with the goal of "forcing" MS or whomever to change their policies, because you'll just end up bitter.

Example:

I find the fact that nobody's released the OOT on blu ray in an archival format to be atrocious. I refused to buy the blu-rays of the Star Wars movies because I hate the way Lucas has mucked about with them, and because the prequels are mediocre at best and don't interest me. That, however, is a far cry from "I'm not going to buy it, and that will eventually force Disney to release the versions I want!" That'd be foolish of me to say, because I won't force Disney to do anything. All I can do is make my own informed consumer choices and figure that if my views become popular enough, the market will cater to me. And if not....the market won't give a crap.

Your missing my point. Id get this if there wasnt a perfectly different alternative available. With more or less the same games. I doubt it would be a big sacrifice to make for anyone. And im confident that it might happen. I know not everyone is not going to buy. But if ms do back down. All us who stood our ground will be to thank. And all of us that dont... wont.
Your opinion of the oot is completley different. Im talking about something where the majority of the world that will be buying will agree with me. Its hardly only a personal choice. Its an insult. Its abusing their power. And thank god... its backfiring.

Should we start bashing Ferrari, etc, for not making cars all of us can afford to buy?

When making a product, you target a market. No one makes a product targeting 100% of the worlds population. It doesn't happen. You pick a market you want to focus on and go for. MS is choosing their market - right or wrong.

I don't go around bashing game companies for making games that seem to only consider the multiplayer aspect of things and leave single player as an afterthought frequently - that's the company's call as to which portion to focus on. I don't have to like it and I don't have to buy it. I don't wail on those companies every chance I get though - or ever.

No one here is saying MS will win this round of console wars.
Pretty much all agree PS4 will win due to their lack of restrictions (so far at least).

I got news for you though, should a company think restricting things on the xb gets them more money, they'll figure out how to do it on the PS4. You know what? If the game can access the internet, they CAN make it call home to verify a license on the PS4 unless sony expressly forbids it.

Where on earth was the relevance in that situation. Your answer was in regard to something being too expensive for the average joe. But Ferraris cost more to make. Yes you do target a market. But theres a difference. Ms chose a market and spent money in putting restrictions in place that reduced that market. They are 2 things far from the same. Is not that they didnt make the effort to increase their market. Its that they made the indirect effort to reduce it. And they counted on the fanboys to cough up just cos their say so. Do ferrari refuse to sell to anyone who wont only use ferrari garages? Does the car break down if you dont have their reccomended tyres? Does it stop working if they wirelessly check if you are driving their car in an unnapproved way? Can you not borrow or sell your ferrari to whoever you want? Dont make me laugh. None of what you said is news to me. Its standard that if xbox make money doing it sony will want in. But everyone who pays for is will be to blame. If ms didnt get away with it you really think sony would try it anytime soon?
Im bashing them for taking us for granted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Between this and windows 8 they have to be hurting. I went to burn a dvd today and found out that windows 8 couldn't run dvd maker so instead of making one they left us with nothing.

I've actually never played a Halo game believe it or not lol

I currently have a 360 and a PS3, but only for the bluray player, never bought a game for it... I don't like some of the things MS is doing with the system, but I do hope they change them before launch

So what games were you refering to that ms do better? Asides from halo and gears. Most games are cross platform. I think he was after knowing what backing there was to the reason?

J

Solo... one of the only people on this entire board who is getting an Xbox...

Good for you.

:rolleyes

Read closer next time, dude. The fact that I'm not frothing at the mouth and calling for the streets of Redmond to run red with the blood of MS executives doesn't mean I'm going out and buying one. I'm perfectly happy with my 360, as I said. I'll wait and see which console I like better if and when I'm ready to upgrade, as I said. It may be that MS' policies change by the time I'm ready to buy. It may be that Sony's change. It may be that the MS experience overall will be more preferable to me, or the Sony one will. I won't know until I see them, and I'm not about to say "DEATH TO MICROSOFT!!!" based on what I've heard.

This was a PR DISASTER the likes of which this industry has NEVER seen.

It doesn't matter if it was the "tin foil hat" people that started it...

It's done.

They will change their tune or be the biggest flop in MS history.

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're probably going to be proven wrong with that, at least to the degree you suggest. The XB1 won't bankrupt MS. The XB1 will not be the end of MS' console efforts, except insofar as they continue to move away from a platform primarily oriented around gaming and towards a platform oriented around media-center functions.

Seriously, man, if Windows ME and Vista couldn't kill 'em, I don't think anything can. ;)

Even if they COULD have and DID explain it like you did in one of your various diatribes breaking it all down... EVEN THEN... when you have to preach that much... it kinda sounds like you are selling snake oil... (oooh bad anology)

When you have to explain things in that great of detail... to justify for radical changes... it don't sit well with the common folk.

I'm not saying it does, actually. I think they've moved a bit too far in their approach. All I'm saying is that the writing's on the wall and that this is the direction the industry as a whole will shift over the next 10-20 years. I think MS may have jumped the gun on that, and certainly screwed up bigtime with their PR, but I think the general trend is shifting in the direction MS is moving.

No matter the percentage of high speed internet coverage... people are people... it's the WAL-MART crowd that support these systems en masse... not the starbucks jet setters...

ie: if there aint enough buyers... who cares how great the system is cause software devs go bye bye without $$$...

There will be "enough" buyers to keep the console afloat. This will not be the Virtual Boy of the 21st century. This won't even be the Dreamcast or Turbographx 16. I get that you don't like this approach MS has taken. I'm saying there aren't enough of you to KILL the console or KILL MS. Sony will win this round, most likely, unless MS adjusts, but even "losing" won't be a loss in the sense of an abject failure of a console launch. It's not gonna happen. The brand is too strong. There will be initial growing pains, but it'll work itself out over time.

Bad analogy this thread is about the Xbox One.

Disney and Lucas are not attempting to peek into any living rooms and are not requiring a 24/7 internet connection to check in for there personal permission to view there digital media.

If the industry forces total download content only, I can without difficulty live without it.
Picks up a Book, starts reading no permission required.

I detest the changes Lucas made.

Al

Um...ok. The point I was making was about acting as an informed consumer -- kinda like you saying you'll just pick up a book and read or go buy a PS4. The analogy wasn't to say that the XboxOne is the same as the Star Wars blu-rays. It was to say that my decision not to buy them because I object to certain things about the product is the same as you not buying an XboxOne because you object to certain things about that product. That's the analogy. So, as I said, choose to buy or not buy whatever you want, man. As long as you're doing so in an informed way, I support your choice. Just don't think that your purchasing decision is going to, like, strike a blow for freedom or whatever, any more than my purchasing decision will for the OOT.

Well, one thing that did come out of the regional releases is that it's not being released in Poland. "Well, what of it?" you ask. Turns out that one of the big games that was shown off during the MS conference was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Which is developed by CD Projekt RED...

Which is based in Poland.

The actual developers of one of their top games won't get to play it themselves, on the console that used that very game as an advertisement. That's just wrong.

Sure, they can probably play it on a dev kit with the regional and online restrictions turned off, but that's not the same as being able to take it home and play it. Good thing it's not an exclusive, eh? I imagine the staff will all go home and play it on their PS4.

I think it's stupid, yeah, but I don't think it's, like, morally wrong. It's another point of bad press for MS in this saga which has, let's be clear, been FULL of bad press and apparently sees no end in site thanks to Don Mattrick. Seriously, who the hell is giving this clown a mic? Every time I see a headline from him it might as well read "Mattrick tells customers 'Suck it, bitches.'" They need to muzzle this guy and put someone else out in front.

I think MS isn't doing itself any favors right now with its PR, and I suspect they'll reevaluate SOME of their policies down the road. On the other hand, I would imagine that the guys at CD Projekt Red will be able to play the game on the systems on which they developed it, or they may just be sick of looking at it and go play Mario Kart 64 instead. :lol Really, though, I'd imagine they'll be happy to see their game sold. Period. They'll think MS' move is stupid, but they're running a business so, another console playing their game is all to the good, even if that console is unavailable in their native country.

Your missing my point. Id get this if there wasnt a perfectly different alternative available. With more or less the same games. I doubt it would be a big sacrifice to make for anyone. And im confident that it might happen. I know not everyone is not going to buy. But if ms do back down. All us who stood our ground will be to thank. And all of us that dont... wont.
Your opinion of the oot is completley different. Im talking about something where the majority of the world that will be buying will agree with me. Its hardly only a personal choice. Its an insult. Its abusing their power. And thank god... its backfiring.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

Or something.

I'm sorry, I just don't see this as some valiant fight against evil oppressive overlords. It's a consumer decision. You decide for yourself and that's that. If they change their policies because of it, groovy. If not, whatever. Who cares?

And yeah, sorry to break it to you, but your decision is EXACTLY like my decision re: the OOT. It's an individual consumer decision. Period. Sure, you get enough consumers making that decision, and you may see MS modify its policies or "clarify its position" (read: modify its policies), but you're not part of some rebellion against the Empire.

And "abuse of power"? *****, man, get a grip. MS isn't a government. They're a business. They made a business decision. It appears to be kind of a boneheaded one, or at least its implementation is thus far. We'll see how it shakes out. But this isn't an "abuse of power." And "an insult"? Really? I mean, yeah, Mattrick's been a ******* by telling customers that he basically doesn't care, but beyond that, how is the policy an insult to you? If you're taking it that way, then I think you assume a far more personal and important relationship with MS than you actually have. And as for the "majority of THE ENTIRE WOOOOOOOOOOOORLD" agreeing with you.....bully for you. I'm sure mum's proud. Personally, I don't really care all that much because I only make decisions for myself. If MS wants to change its policies, super. I'd be happy. If they don't, eh, don't really care. I'll just go without an XboxOne if I find the console lacking. I'm not making a decision yet because, well, I don't actually NEED to make a decision.

Where on earth was the relevance in that situation. Your answer was in regard to something being too expensive for the average joe. But Ferraris cost more to make. Yes you do target a market. But theres a difference. Ms chose a market and spent money in putting restrictions in place that reduced that market. They are 2 things far from the same. Is not that they didnt make the effort to increase their market. Its that they made the indirect effort to reduce it. And they counted on the fanboys to cough up just cos their say so. Do ferrari refuse to sell to anyone who wont only use ferrari garages? Does the car break down if you dont have their reccomended tyres? Does it stop working if they wirelessly check if you are driving their car in an unnapproved way? Can you not borrow or sell your ferrari to whoever you want? Dont make me laugh. None of what you said is news to me. Its standard that if xbox make money doing it sony will want in. But everyone who pays for is will be to blame. If ms didnt get away with it you really think sony would try it anytime soon?

You're missing the point. The point is that no company is obligated to -- nor attempting to -- sell to EVERYONE. So, yeah, MS is delaying release (or not releasing at all) in certain countries. Do I think that's kind of a dumb decision? Yeah, but whatever. I'm not pissed at MS for it. I'm not sitting around ranting about how they've clearly violated Galactic Law and the Moral Dictates of Heaven & Earth or whatever. They made a business decision. Maybe a bad one -- sure seems that way so far -- but there may be other considerations like implementing the console's features to comply with this or that country's specific laws that we don't know about. Who knows? More to the point, who cares? Don't like the console? Great. Don't buy it. But this isn't some moral crusade for Great Justice Against the Microsoft Regime or whatever.

It's just a bloody gaming console.

Last edited:
Let's forget this adnauseum "big brother" talk...

How bout the fact that the controllers still look like ****. It costs 100$ more. And pretty much only halo and forza are Xbone specific...

So is it just brand loyalty? In love with your weeble wobble xboxlive avatar?

What is the perceived advantage?

(I do love the old forza and halo games... But... Really?)

From my end....right now there really isn't one. Which is why I'm not buying one yet. It'd really depend on the user interface and whether I'd end up getting actual bang for my buck from the console's features. I'm not that impressed with it thus far, but I'd wait to get a hands-on or a testimonial from someone I trust before I'd say yea or nay on buying it.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably go for the PS4. But that's more because it's (1) $100 cheaper, and (2) would let me try out some PS3 games I never got to play (via download, anyway). But I'm not really raging about fighting the power with Chuck D or whatever. That aspect's not cool, but it's not something that greatly concerns me to the point where I want to grab a pitchfork or torch and storm Redmond the next time I visit Seattle.

Let's forget this adnauseum "big brother" talk...

How bout the fact that the controllers still look like ****. It costs 100$ more. And pretty much only halo and forza are Xbone specific...

So is it just brand loyalty? In love with your weeble wobble xboxlive avatar?

What is the perceived advantage?

(I do love the old forza and halo games... But... Really?)

I like the look of the controller for one. While we're on the topic, I've found the dualshocks to be kinda tiny, my hands cramp a bit if I use one for too long.

There are a couple different reasons I went this way. Nearly all third party games will be available on both systems. I've already mentioned I'm not really into Sony's first party lineup, and I love Halo. That makes that part of the decision pretty easy for me.

Secondly, everything I've seen from PS4 looks like it's a souped up version of what I've already seen. Nothing really stood out to me as particularly new or interesting about it, beyond that it went back to the well with a big middle finger to microsoft by adhering to what we perceive as traditional methods with discs. That certainly got everyone excited, but it was excitement about NO CHANGE.

The XB1 looks like it's changing things from the ground up, and I can't wait to stop buying discs. I'm done with all these ******* shelves. The new kinect is orders of magnitude more effective than the old one by all reports, and I like the idea of my xbox recognizing me just by my voice. There are five of us in my house with xbox accounts. By the time my 360 boots up and I log in, I could make a sandwich and cure cancer.

I'm an RPG nerd from 1989, starting with Final Fantasy on the NES. FFXV coming to XB1 (without the limitations of being on the dvd format this time) sealed it for me. I get my Halo and my Final Fantasy without buying two systems. (I had purchased FFXIII on 360, but ended up returning it and getting it on PS3 because the cut scenes were artifacted to hell and textures were blurry - due to having been compressed to fit on dvds instead of blurays).

So those are the reasons. Simply put, the XB1 appeals to what I want more than the PS4 does. If you don't want what I want that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

From my end....right now there really isn't one. Which is why I'm not buying one yet. It'd really depend on the user interface and whether I'd end up getting actual bang for my buck from the console's features. I'm not that impressed with it thus far, but I'd wait to get a hands-on or a testimonial from someone I trust before I'd say yea or nay on buying it.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably go for the PS4. But that's more because it's (1) $100 cheaper, and (2) would let me try out some PS3 games I never got to play (via download, anyway). But I'm not really raging about fighting the power with Chuck D or whatever. That aspect's not cool, but it's not something that greatly concerns me to the point where I want to grab a pitchfork or torch and storm Redmond the next time I visit Seattle.

What I'd read was that the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible at all either, but that PS3 emulation might be possible via streaming at some point in the future. Did you read something I missed?

Nah, just cobbling together bits of info. I'm waiting to see in any event. My 360 is fine. I have plenty of games on Steam and from GOG to play, so...eh. I'm in no rush to get either new system. I'm gonna probably wait like a year. I'm just saying based on what little Iv'e heard right now, I'd probably go PS4. But that's right now. I could change my mind later.

Solo is longwinded. :p

But he's also 100% right, as he often is. By the way, why are we calling it the OOT now? What's with the extra O?

Americans don't like being told that they can't own something just lease it and have to be eased into it.

Nobody does. And really, who reads an EULA anyway, apart from me? I can't get so-called professionals to read a binding 3-year lease agreement...to most, EULAs are 'that thing you have to click on in the install process, what is that crap anyway, geeze I wish they would just automate this stuff'.

In contrast it is my right as a consumer to refuse to purchase anti_consumer products.
I will never need any Microsoft permission to do anything, I won't buy into there marketing hype.

Ah, he gets it! :)

Bad analogy this thread is about the Xbox One.

Ahh, he doesn't get it. :(

It's a flawless analogy, I should know as it was mine. :p The analogy isn't about Star Wars, it's about not buying something that offends you or that isn't what you want.

And not boycotting the product as a protest. Just try simply not buying it because it's not what you want. The same way you don't buy a year's supply of tampons, or a hundredweight of potatoes, or a ten year old above-ground vinyl pool with three large holes torn by a dog, EVEN THOUGH it's really cheap. Things which you may easily be able to afford, but have no reason to need or want.

You don't HAVE to have this thing. Nobody's forcing you. You don't even have to want it.

I don't like some of the things MS is doing with the system, but I do hope they change them before launch

What did that guy say before? Oh yes, this:

Most people will get that, others either won't hear the news or will refuse to believe. Right up to and after point of sale.

:lol

It's just a bloody gaming console.

QFMFT! :lol

I'd like to see one of the new Xbox One folks try something when it comes out. Place a Coke can I front of the Kinect and see if any ads for Cole start popping up. Will be interesting to see.

Again, to boil it down, there's not a company out there who targets 100% of their target audience. It's not far off the saying 'you can't please all the people all the time'. No matter how they made the system, there'd be people turned off by it. It's the way it is.

Sure, it'd be nice to have the game portion work not plugged in, but doing that went against the publishers wishes. MS did not go to publishers and say what to you think about have the means to block used games by making the machine check in daily. MS asked publishers what they wanted and made the device accordingly. I'd venture that the checking in daily is the least amount of online time publishers's would agree to.

Sure, MS could have stood up to them more, but they didn't. At a guess it's to do with 1/2 or more of the device being media center related with TV connectivity and needing TV schedule updates and movie descriptions, sports scores, etc, etc. If you ever tried to run Windows Media Center on a computer that wasn't connected to TV and the internet, you'd understand that aspect a bit more. Without that connection it's kinda pointless - it doesn't do anything really.

For the paranoids thinking they'll be spied on, take off the tin foil hats. It was a PATENT application. It's not in the system. Companies giving info to the govt weren't gathering information FOR the govt, but turning over stuff they already collected to begin with.

Again, to boil it down, there's not a company out there who targets 100% of their target audience. It's not far off the saying 'you can't please all the people all the time'. No matter how they made the system, there'd be people turned off by it. It's the way it is.

Sure, it'd be nice to have the game portion work not plugged in, but doing that went against the publishers wishes. MS did not go to publishers and say what to you think about have the means to block used games by making the machine check in daily. MS asked publishers what they wanted and made the device accordingly. I'd venture that the checking in daily is the least amount of online time publishers's would agree to.

Sure, MS could have stood up to them more, but they didn't. At a guess it's to do with 1/2 or more of the device being media center related with TV connectivity and needing TV schedule updates and movie descriptions, sports scores, etc, etc. If you ever tried to run Windows Media Center on a computer that wasn't connected to TV and the internet, you'd understand that aspect a bit more. Without that connection it's kinda pointless - it doesn't do anything really.

For the paranoids thinking they'll be spied on, take off the tin foil hats. It was a PATENT application. It's not in the system. Companies giving info to the govt weren't gathering information FOR the govt, but turning over stuff they already collected to begin with.

Clearly you dont get it. I have no idea how to further respond. Here goes.... again....They have a targetted audience. And theyve just cast a big percent to the dog house. Its not about them putting extra effort in to please people outside there audience like you keep reasoning with. Its about them willingly throwing 10 percent of it away. And not caring. Your acting like its a new conpany with a new idea. Everyone knows in business. Treat your loyal customers right. This has not been done. It would in no way have cost them loads of money to not throw customers away willingly. Are you understanding yet? Lol.
Your reasoning makes no sense here. It is far from saying you cant please all the people all the time.

Its even closer to walking to your mates. And flagging him off cos you feel like it.. Cos you got plenty more. And you cant please everyone.
You could have easily not flagged him off. It wouldnt have cost you a great deal not to do so.

You keep acting like I want ms to do extra stuff for the little guy. And I have no idea where your getting that from..

J

They split their user base. It's a thing that happens when everyone isn't on the train at the same time. Thing is, microsoft is in a position to direct the train more than we are. The train isn't going to stop moving just because you don't buy a ticket.

They split their user base. It's a thing that happens when everyone isn't on the train at the same time. Thing is, microsoft is in a position to direct the train more than we are. The train isn't going to stop moving just because you don't buy a ticket.

But it will if me and thousands of others do. Again. Its not a personal insult. Its world wide. Its not my fault that some people stay on the train when theres a new better cheaper alternative. Good look to them. Again. They split their user base. But what you dont seem to get is that there was no need to. At all. Any they will pay the price. They just didnt care enough to change their mind

J

You keep acting like I want ms to do extra stuff for the little guy. And I have no idea where your getting that from..

J

You're misunderstanding what cbaoth is getting at. Cbaoth isn't suggesting that MS shouldn't do "extra." Cbaoth is instead suggesting that it's up to MS to decide what portion of the market they want to target.

You're right. They're willing to get rid of 10% of their loyal customers. They probably have a reason for that. It's probably related to money. And you're right that they don't care how pissed that 10% gets.

Let me try a different analogy. Let's say that Ford sold cars (since people loooove their car analogies...) to a range of folks. It sold the 2013 Mustang in both a diesel engine and an unleaded engine. But the diesel engine model only accounted for about 10% of the production line and sales. Ford decides that for the 2014 model, it's not going to produce any more diesel engine Mustangs. It points out how manufacturing inefficiencies make it pointless to spend the money Ford's spending making the diesel engines when it could simply cut the line altogether and turn a higher profit.

"What about the loyal diesel customers?!" complain some Ford enthusiasts.

"Abuse of power!!" others cry.

"It's an INSULT to us!" say still more.

And Ford doesn't care. Its attitude is "So buy an unleaded model or don't." It's making a buck with this move. It doesn't care about the hurt feelings of its now-former customers. It's just business. Nothing personal.

If MS is "throwing away" 10% of its market, chances are it's doing so based on a calculated decision, not just some desire to **** people off. And yeah, chances are it doesn't care. It's already accounted for the loss and is probably coming out ahead in the end anyway. MS, just like Ford, is under no obligation to keep that 10% satisfied. It doesn't owe them any loyalty itself, in spite of the customers' preferences and purchasing decisions over the years. So, when those customers say "I'll show them! I won't buy it!!" neither Ford nor MS really is all that bothered. You're already factored into the "loss" side of the ledger. And they're still probably coming out ahead, which is why they don't really care.

It's also not at ALL like flagging off a mate. You aren't mates with MicroSoft. They don't know you. They're indifferent to you. You're not their friend, you're not even a casual acquaintance. You don't have a personal relationship with them. That you view it that way likely explains the emotional tone. My advice? Don't get emotionally invested in a Fortune 500 company. It never ends well.

No man, the train won't stop for you. They don't play the game for thousands of people, they play it on the scale of millions. And while they might very well upset people on the thousands scale (and I'll be the first to say they screwed up their PR big time this go round) it won't derail the millions who just don't care about this stuff. Millions who JUST. DON'T. CARE.
It might cost them people in the short term, but this new console will do just fine.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back