Interesting article on new xbox

Yeah, the car analogy is the wrong one, as far as content ownership and copyright are concerned. But, FORD, TOYOTA, et al don't make you check in with a remote server and kill your vehicle if you don't. That "feature" alone is why I won't buy an XBOX ONE.

One that is patently clear is that MS needs to clean house in the PR department. I don't think they could have done it worse had they tried.

As far as broadband goes...break it down.

-What percentage of the market for a new game system is in an area with broadband available? 90%? More?

-How many people have no broadband because they can't afford it? I'd imagine none since you shouldn't be paying $400-500 for a console if you can't afford 20-40 a month for broadband.

-Of that percentage, how many don't have broadband because it's not available in their area? 2-4%? It's harder to justify the cost of satellite broadband (70+ last i looked) and there are rare occasions when you can't get that either.

The upshot there is that it's a rather negligible amount of the target customer base that can't get broadband. It's not to say there's no one who won't be upset - there will be. But doesn't that apply still on the PS3 and 4 when you need an update to play a new game and as far as I know they only do that online. If say, 25% of the target market couldn't access broadband - they wouldn't have done it. They can use XBL to determine what speeds people connect to the XBL servers at and then get a list of unique accesses and run that against total units sold to see what percentage of existing users they can't 100% verify have a broadband connection. I guarantee you they did that. That number was high enough to justify them adding it to the new one.

I ask you, should MS not implement a policy because it will negatively impact 10% or less of a demographic? Doesn't mean the 10% don't have a right to be upset.

I, too, dismiss the spying out of hand. Not that a 3rd party couldn't hack it, but it won't be part of a massive conspiracy. As for using the camera to count how many people in the room. That was a patent that was applied for a couple months ago. It'd be a long way from appearing in a console. As noted before, Divx tried something similar and it fell flat from day 1. Only way for a setup like that to work would be to force every movie maker to adopt the concept at once. You make two versions, the one that counts views will bomb just like divx.

As far as not working with SD tv's - well, the national standard change was 7 years ago. A number of high end software programs required higher resolutions than most monitors could display back around 2000. Change happens.

Believe it or not there is a huge area right here near me that can't get dsl and have to shell out for cable (which is cheaper) we tried DSL via verizon only for them to lie to us and say it was in our area. The coverage ended 3 houses down so our net was crashing several times a day and the tech said he was amazed we got signal at all. There's parts of PA that don't even have cable yet up in the more rural mountain areas. That said the ones getting the short end of the stick are deployed soldiers and folks in europe who have to pay per internet usage.

...then you're making an incorrect analogy.

This is the problem with the used game debate, and is a BIG reason why entertainment producers are shifting towards -- and will continue to shift towards -- a streaming-based approach to content delivery. It won't happen overnight, but in the next 10-20 years or so, your content will NOT arrive on physical media like discs.

Microsoft can continue to push there restrictive license agreements and kinect spy ware POS as much as they wish its there choice good for them.

In contrast it is my right as a consumer to refuse to purchase anti_consumer products.
I will never need any Microsoft permission to do anything, I won't buy into there marketing hype.

At 38,894 to 2,162 it appears I’m not the only consumer who feels that way

My TV, Ipod, Computer, DVD player, phone, Xbox 360 all work great and I don't have to wave around all my extremities to use them. I don't talk to my wife, I certainly have no desire or need to talk to an electronic appliance.

Xbox One is down for the count, down the drain and in the sewer where it belongs.

PS4 ON!

Al

Yeah, the car analogy is the wrong one, as far as content ownership and copyright are concerned. But, FORD, TOYOTA, et al don't make you check in with a remote server and kill your vehicle if you don't. That "feature" alone is why I won't buy an XBOX ONE.

That's fine. I mean, make your choice as you see fit. All I'm saying is that you're getting something very different when you're buying a console and games than what you are with a car. I understand your frustration and desire to maintain some sense of ownership, but I have a feeling that over the years, you'll be less an "owner" and more a "lessor" or a recipient of a service. It seems to be the direction things are moving.

Believe it or not there is a huge area right here near me that can't get dsl and have to shell out for cable (which is cheaper) we tried DSL via verizon only for them to lie to us and say it was in our area. The coverage ended 3 houses down so our net was crashing several times a day and the tech said he was amazed we got signal at all. There's parts of PA that don't even have cable yet up in the more rural mountain areas. That said the ones getting the short end of the stick are deployed soldiers and folks in europe who have to pay per internet usage.

I don't deny that people WILL be screwed by this stuff. I think it's a mistake to create a "Game console" that REQUIRES an internet connection to function at all, at least at this stage of internet availability. I can see a model like the X360 working just fine -- enhanced functionality if you have internet, but it works out of the box if you don't. It'd make more sense to call it something OTHER than a "gaming console," like "media center" or "entertainment center" or whatever, but hey, there's the PR department s***ing the bed again...

Microsoft can continue to push there restrictive license agreements and kinect spy ware POS as much as they wish its there choice good for them.

In contrast it is my right as a consumer to refuse to purchase anti_consumer products.
I will never need any Microsoft permission to do anything, I won't buy into there marketing hype.

Excellent! I said the same thing with respect to the Star Wars blu-rays, and you know what? I still don't own 'em! :) I fully support consumers making informed choices and deciding where NOT to spend their dollars.

At 38,894 to 2,162 it appears I’m not the only consumer who feels that way

My TV, Ipod, Computer, DVD player, phone, Xbox 360 all work great and I don't have to wave around all my extremities to use them. I don't talk to my wife, I certainly have no desire or need to talk to an electronic appliance.

Xbox One is down for the count, down the drain and in the sewer where it belongs.

PS4 ON!

Al

However, I have to say that you're gonna be disappointed if you expect the XboxOne to actually FAIL out there. PS4 may do better in sales, but let's be serious here: the XboxOne is not likely to truly fail the way the Virtual Boy did, or even to underperform the way the Dreamcast did. It'll sell. And people will complain....and it'll still sell. And that's fine. I mean, if folks want to pay money for it...whatever. It's their nickel. Same with the PS4. Frankly, as I've said before, I'm not buying either of 'em any time soon, and I likely will wait until either my 360 dies before I decide to buy anything. When I do, it'll probably take me having access to an XB1 and being able to play around with it to see if I actually like it before I'd decide to buy one, and even then, I'm liking the sound of the PS4 anyway. Plus it'd give me a chance to play those PS3 games I never got to play. But whatever. That's just me and my purchasing decisions.

All I'm saying here is that I don't really care one way or the other if the XboxOne fails. Even if it does, even if it fails for the DRM reasons and such, it won't matter. This stuff is coming. I accept that. I'm not trying to fight against it, because doing so is a losing battle and (in my opinion) isn't really worth fighting anyway.

That's fine. I mean, make your choice as you see fit. All I'm saying is that you're getting something very different when you're buying a console and games than what you are with a car. I understand your frustration and desire to maintain some sense of ownership, but I have a feeling that over the years, you'll be less an "owner" and more a "lessor" or a recipient of a service. It seems to be the direction things are moving.

It will only move in that direction as long as consumers just blindly lap up whatever if put in front of them and don't push back.

I refuse to put money in a companies pockets who can so easily throw away those 10 percent of customers who cant get access. Clearly they are making too much money. Like an artist slagging of or demeaning a fan. Who helped make them what they were when they were a new thing. Especially when it wouldnt be a hassle to include those 10 percent. Theyve actually spent money on something knowing it would stop those 10 percent.
And you know what. Im ashamed we live in a world where people dont give a damn if somethings not affecting them. Its not joe bloggs fault he was born in a different country to you. Why should he not be able to play and you can. They only thing that would alter is to hit them where it hurts to force them to change. There will always be situations where some stuff isnt clear cut. But I believe this is. Clearly MS dont give a toss about anyone with connection problems. Or cant get dsl. Its desposable while all the fanboys keep throwing cash at them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

It will only move in that direction as long as consumers just blindly lap up whatever if put in front of them and don't push back.

Characterize it however you like. The industry's still gonna move in that direction over time. It's already doing that, and people are perfectly happy with the services. Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime, even XBL and PS+ are examples of the concept at work. Steam, too. People complain about it, but far more people are perfectly comfortable with the convenience of being able to just download what they want when they want it. And the industry's fine with that because it gives THEM control over the content to a degree. Hell, if broadband speeds were fast enough and processing power worked effectively, you'd never have a game resident on your system again. They'd see to that. It'd be all streaming, all the time. Nothing stored.

I refuse to put money in a companies pockets who can so easily throw away those 10 percent of customers who cant get access. Clearly they are making too much money. Like an artist slagging of or demeaning a fan. Who helped make them what they were when they were a new thing. Especially when it wouldnt be a hassle to include those 10 percent. Theyve actually spent money on something knowing it would stop those 10 percent.
And you know what. Im ashamed we live in a world where people dont give a damn if somethings not affecting them. Its not joe bloggs fault he was born in a different country to you. Why should he not be able to play and you can. They only thing that would alter is to hit them where it hurts to force them to change. There will always be situations where some stuff isnt clear cut. But I believe this is. Clearly MS dont give a toss about anyone with connection problems. Or cant get dsl. Its desposable while all the fanboys keep throwing cash at them

Dude, if you're really expecting video game consumers to stand in solidarity because MS is not interested in releasing the XB1 in [Country], you're in for some disappointment. This is a far cry from, say, a company saying "We won't sell to black people" or something.

Don't get me wrong. If that's YOUR personal morals and attitudes, then rock on with your bad self. But the thing about consumer decisions like that is that you have to make it for yourself and only for yourself. If it has a wider impact, awesome. But don't do it specifically with the goal of "forcing" MS or whomever to change their policies, because you'll just end up bitter.

Example:

I find the fact that nobody's released the OOT on blu ray in an archival format to be atrocious. I refused to buy the blu-rays of the Star Wars movies because I hate the way Lucas has mucked about with them, and because the prequels are mediocre at best and don't interest me. That, however, is a far cry from "I'm not going to buy it, and that will eventually force Disney to release the versions I want!" That'd be foolish of me to say, because I won't force Disney to do anything. All I can do is make my own informed consumer choices and figure that if my views become popular enough, the market will cater to me. And if not....the market won't give a crap.

Should we start bashing Ferrari, etc, for not making cars all of us can afford to buy?

When making a product, you target a market. No one makes a product targeting 100% of the worlds population. It doesn't happen. You pick a market you want to focus on and go for. MS is choosing their market - right or wrong.

I don't go around bashing game companies for making games that seem to only consider the multiplayer aspect of things and leave single player as an afterthought frequently - that's the company's call as to which portion to focus on. I don't have to like it and I don't have to buy it. I don't wail on those companies every chance I get though - or ever.

No one here is saying MS will win this round of console wars.
Pretty much all agree PS4 will win due to their lack of restrictions (so far at least).

I got news for you though, should a company think restricting things on the xb gets them more money, they'll figure out how to do it on the PS4. You know what? If the game can access the internet, they CAN make it call home to verify a license on the PS4 unless sony expressly forbids it.

Solo... one of the only people on this entire board who is getting an Xbox...

Good for you.

This was a PR DISASTER the likes of which this industry has NEVER seen.

It doesn't matter if it was the "tin foil hat" people that started it...

It's done.

They will change their tune or be the biggest flop in MS history.

Even if they COULD have and DID explain it like you did in one of your various diatribes breaking it all down... EVEN THEN... when you have to preach that much... it kinda sounds like you are selling snake oil... (oooh bad anology)

When you have to explain things in that great of detail... to justify for radical changes... it don't sit well with the common folk.

No matter the percentage of high speed internet coverage... people are people... it's the WAL-MART crowd that support these systems en masse... not the starbucks jet setters...

ie: if there aint enough buyers... who cares how great the system is cause software devs go bye bye without $$$...

Example:

I find the fact that nobody's released the OOT on blu ray in an archival format to be atrocious. I refused to buy the blu-rays of the Star Wars movies because I hate the way Lucas has mucked about with them, and because the prequels are mediocre at best and don't interest me. That, however, is a far cry from "I'm not going to buy it, and that will eventually force Disney to release the versions I want!" That'd be foolish of me to say, because I won't force Disney to do anything. All I can do is make my own informed consumer choices and figure that if my views become popular enough, the market will cater to me. And if not....the market won't give a crap.

Bad analogy this thread is about the Xbox One.

Disney and Lucas are not attempting to peek into any living rooms and are not requiring a 24/7 internet connection to check in for there personal permission to view there digital media.

If the industry forces total download content only, I can without difficulty live without it.
Picks up a Book, starts reading no permission required.

I detest the changes Lucas made.

Al

Dude, if you're really expecting video game consumers to stand in solidarity because MS is not interested in releasing the XB1 in [Country], you're in for some disappointment.
Well, one thing that did come out of the regional releases is that it's not being released in Poland. "Well, what of it?" you ask. Turns out that one of the big games that was shown off during the MS conference was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Which is developed by CD Projekt RED...

Which is based in Poland.

The actual developers of one of their top games won't get to play it themselves, on the console that used that very game as an advertisement. That's just wrong.

Sure, they can probably play it on a dev kit with the regional and online restrictions turned off, but that's not the same as being able to take it home and play it. Good thing it's not an exclusive, eh? I imagine the staff will all go home and play it on their PS4.

Well, one thing that did come out of the regional releases is that it's not being released in Poland. "Well, what of it?" you ask. Turns out that one of the big games that was shown off during the MS conference was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Which is developed by CD Projekt RED...

Which is based in Poland.

The actual developers of one of their top games won't get to play it themselves, on the console that used that very game as an advertisement. That's just wrong.

Sure, they can probably play it on a dev kit with the regional and online restrictions turned off, but that's not the same as being able to take it home and play it. Good thing it's not an exclusive, eh? I imagine the staff will all go home and play it on their PS4.

That snaky move exposes the Microsoft executives off as the underhanded backstabbing rats they really are.

Al

MS should be more worried about p*ssing off the developers more than the gamers. They'll always find gamers who will buy the system no matter what but you alienate developers and it gets ugly. Witcher 3 will be out on the ps4. Wish they'd put the first one on a system.

Yeah. I bet they started alienating them even before we heard about all this crap. I hope this and the various messes EA has had are used in business schools.

I have the Xbox One preordered.. I prefer their games over PS

I have an Xbox 360 and have been well pleased with it as a gaming system.
But I despise the Xbox One.

Halo was great but there is a new game in town from the creators of Halo, Destiny.
Microsoft can keep Halo time now to trade up to a more appealing system.

Al

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back