My Life-Size Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

Great build!

I have one of Stormriders rubber sets on the way so will be building one of these soon too.

For the swirl effect, are you following screengrabs to any degree or just going for a random approach? I guess it would be mega-tricky to try and replicate every swirl and carbonite contour in there.

I built a HIC several years ago from a headcast then about 30 sticks of milliput and foam...lol...I think this build should turn out a bit better.

Anyway, looking forward to your progress pics, thanks the inspiration!

Al

Thanks for the kind words all!

For the swirl effect, are you following screengrabs to any degree or just going for a random approach? I guess it would be mega-tricky to try and replicate every swirl and carbonite contour in there.

I am not following any pattern, screen accurate or otherwise, I just winged it. I don't think I have the time, patience, or skill to match the screen version.

One thing I did think about though was putting a small layer of hard foam board, about 1/4" or less, next to the Stormrider panel. That would have built the area up around the edges and probably required less glue.

Maybe next time...

Last edited:
Got a little side tracked with the panels today.

I wanted to try something.

Took a quick trip to Lowe's, spent a couple bucks on some insulation couplers and axle caps, and here is what I came up with. I'll make 8, 4 for the bottom and 4 for the top. I am sure someone will eventually post a picture, but I didn't want to wait, so this will have to do. I am sure it's way off.

HPIM5762.JPG

HPIM5769.JPG

HPIM5765.JPG

HPIM5763.JPG

HPIM5773.JPG

HPIM5774.JPG

I also bought a plastic corrugated "For Sale" sign which I will use for those vent like pieces.

Last edited:
Unfortunately nothing I do is really screen accurate.

Dude. I don't give a runny shiite about Star Wars anymore - and I'm flipping out over this. It may not be accurate enough for the kids who bought side panels that cost more than a BMW - but it's full-on DIY AMAZING.

And I think the LED solution looks better than screen accurate - because when you see these props up close, they almost never hold up - it's all brush strokes and glue blobs. People here who build Fett/Stormtrooper armor have done better sculpts than the old school costumes.

I hope you're pleased and proud of your work, because you should be. Thanks for offering this great tutorial. People who did buy the "expensive" versions of what you've got going here would do well to set up their build as you have done.

Though, with a re-read - it might be that Skaught is asking if the details on that maquette are screen accurate - or something the sculptor but there to make things look "cool"...

Also - you mentioned Rub and Buff. INVEST. That stuff's got a million and one uses, and they're all great!

I don't give much of a toss about SW props now either, on the whole, but I do love the HIC prop...best prop of the trilogy, to me.

I'm interested to know if the top and bottom detail on that model are anywhere near screen accurate?

Up to now I've always seen those details with the acepted panel detail.

Not easy to type - fractured finger....even less easy to play guitar! :((

But is the statue screen accurate?

Scott

Ahh, I got ya, don't know. I was trying to find some screen shots of when they're pushing Han through the halls in Bespin, but didn't find any. If I have a chance I'll pop the DVD in tonight to see if I can catch anything.

Last edited:
Dude. I don't give a runny shiite about Star Wars anymore - and I'm flipping out over this. It may not be accurate enough for the kids who bought side panels that cost more than a BMW - but it's full-on DIY AMAZING.

And I think the LED solution looks better than screen accurate - because when you see these props up close, they almost never hold up - it's all brush strokes and glue blobs. People here who build Fett/Stormtrooper armor have done better sculpts than the old school costumes.

I hope you're pleased and proud of your work, because you should be. Thanks for offering this great tutorial. People who did buy the "expensive" versions of what you've got going here would do well to set up their build as you have done.

Though, with a re-read - it might be that Skaught is asking if the details on that maquette are screen accurate - or something the sculptor but there to make things look "cool"...

Also - you mentioned Rub and Buff. INVEST. That stuff's got a million and one uses, and they're all great!

Thanks for the comments, I am pretty happy with the way this is turning out, considering how my first attempt looked. Who knows, I may give it a 3rd try down the road!

Last edited:
Here's the corrugated plastic "For Sale" sign I bought. I cut it into several pieces and did a test fit with the those vent details. I like it, it will look much better once I add the other pieces and paint. It was a bit difficult to fit these because of the shape of that area.

HPIM5775.JPG

HPIM5777.JPG

I also painted the last two detail parts for the main panel and put the switch in. I stole this idea from another member. Drilled out one of the knobs and it slides right over the switch.

HPIM5789.JPG

HPIM5788.JPG

Last edited:
Mounted and primed, top and bottom. Spacing is off a little, looks much better in person. Once I mount this to the wall you'll never even see it anyway. So glad I added this though, I love how it turned out.

HPIM5797.JPG

HPIM5793.JPG

Last edited:
Figure I would post this idea here as well.

I was looking at this thing and I had a great idea. What if I took out the vents, built a wall behind that opening about 4 inches deep, then added a piece of an old radiator and some copper tubing, then illuminated it with some hidden blue LEDs, put the vents back on, but made them partially open. Then, add a hidden red LED to each port and added a small speaker to the bottom that had some cool exhaust venting noise.

The idea would be that the radiator piece and copper tubing acted as a refrigerant system for the carbonite keeping it frozen, and the exhaust ports pushed out the hot air from the compressors inside.

I would make it so the vents were open allowing you to see the radiator, blue back lit LEDs, and tubing.

Here is a rude interpretation (very rude).

test3-600x450.jpg

Man, you have no idea how much I want to rip those vents out and try this!

Figure I would post this idea here as well.

I was looking at this thing and I had a great idea. What if I took out the vents, built a wall behind that opening about 4 inches deep, then added a piece of an old radiator and some copper tubing, then illuminated it with some hidden blue LEDs, put the vents back on, but made them partially open. Then, add a hidden red LED to each port and added a small speaker to the bottom that had some cool exhaust venting noise.

The idea would be that the radiator piece and copper tubing acted as a refrigerant system for the carbonite keeping it frozen, and the exhaust ports pushed out the hot air from the compressors inside.

I would make it so the vents were open allowing you to see the radiator, blue back lit LEDs, and tubing.

Here is a rude interpretation (very rude).

test3-600x450.jpg

Man, you have no idea how much I want to rip those vents out and try this!

Don't do it..your so close to finishing...Save it for when you build mine/./

I've always thought it would be cool to place one of those ultrasonic water/smoke machines near (hidden) the HiC, but maybe you can figure out a way to hide one inside yours. Something similar to this, but I've seen them much smaller

Ultrasonic Water Fogger

but I guess all that water vapor would eventually wreak havoc on the wooden box

Fully taped and primed, ready for first coat.

HPIM5802.JPG

Base coat is Dark Metallic Charcoal. This is what I painted my first HIC panel with, but I think it was a bit too dark. Very nice color though.

HPIM5807.JPG

Then dusted two coats of Satin Nickel Metallic. Looks a bit too metallic in these pictures, but it's not that overpowering in person.

HPIM5812.JPG

I am going to do a very light acrylic wash in black, blotted, then a few coats of clear gloss.

Last edited:
Don't do it..your so close to finishing...Save it for when you build mine/./

Yeah, after much consideration, I think I will save it for my next one!

I've always thought it would be cool to place one of those ultrasonic water/smoke machines near (hidden) the HiC, but maybe you can figure out a way to hide one inside yours. Something similar to this, but I've seen them much smaller

Ultrasonic Water Fogger

but I guess all that water vapor would eventually wreak havoc on the wooden box

That's a great idea, I wonder how small you can get one, and if they make one with a self contained water reservoir.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back