Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I'm struggling to think of examples where poor aerodynamics were an issue in the OT...SW ships shouldn't look like Hondas.

I'm struggling to think of examples where poor aerodynamics were an issue in the OT...SW ships shouldn't look like Hondas.

Exactly. When I look at this ugly Bookspeeder, and compare it to Luke's beautiful Landspeeder, I cannot help but think the Landspeeder was designed by an artist, and the Bookspeeder was designed by a committee.

Y'all know the expression, "A camel is a horse designed by a committee.".

The Wook

Exactly. When I look at this ugly Bookspeeder, and compare it to Luke's beautiful Landspeeder, I cannot help but think the Landspeeder was designed by an artist, and the Bookspeeder was designed by a committee.

Y'all know the expression, "A camel is a horse designed by a committee.".

The Wook

I was actually trying to DISagree with you haha but I hear what you're saying. I just took issue with "aerodynamics" as a design necessity in SW. OT ships are all about as aerodynamic as tipped over porta johns.

I was actually trying to DISagree with you haha but I hear what you're saying. I just took issue with "aerodynamics" as a design necessity in SW. OT ships are all about as aerodynamic as tipped over porta johns.

Oh.

Nevermind.

Lol...but still, you're talking about "ships". Well, ships don't need to be aerodynamic, because they travel in outer space where there is no aero (air). Landspeeders that travel on a planet's surface, with atmosphere (air), should be aerodynamic.

The Wook

The OT didn't give us enough examples of atmospheric-but-fast aircraft to know what their stance was on aerodynamics. There seemed to be some thoughts of aero rounded-ness to some of the shapes. But it's hard to separate that from the styling considerations. IMO Luke's Tatooine speeder was probably supposed to look art-deco-1940s-jet-vintage more than anything else.

Either way I don't see why Han Ehrenrich's land speeder thing needs to be aerodynamic. Is a '66 Chevelle aerodynamic? Is an old notchback Mustang aerodynamic?

Aero resistance isn't really even a factor on cars below 50 mph. It doesn't become a big factor until closer to 100. If those speeders were supposed to be going a zillion MPH in the new movie then they wouldn't have been filming them rolling around on wheeled car drivetrains. They would have gone directly to background plates & CGI.

Besides, the young hot-rodders on earth are willing to sacrifice a lot of aerodynamic gains in the name of looking cool.

...Either way I don't see why Han Ehrenrich's land speeder thing needs to be aerodynamic. Is a '66 Chevelle aerodynamic? Is an old notchback Mustang aerodynamic?...

That boxy "book" speeder reminds of a car I've seen before. I can't find any pics, but I'm sure I've seen a 50s or 60s car that looked a lot like it.

I get hating the aesthetics of it but I think the concept makes sense. It seems to be a vehicle that was built from the inside out: muscle first, then haphazardly skinned with whatever you can lay your hands on. It totally seems like the kind of vehicle a young, broke Han Solo might come up with. Remember, "she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

Again, I would like to point out that these actual designs are unlikely to end up in the finished film unaltered. Their inclusion is simply to allow the actors and VFX teams to have some physical reference on the set.If they have to film a speeder chase /race scene in an open and not closed set they know they are going to get photographed, so they aren't likely to want to let low grade pirated copies of the vehicles hit the open market many months before the cinema release.
This also wouldn't half irritate all their toy licensees, who have paid huge fees to Disney/Lucasfilm for the rights to manufacture and sell them. If they can reshot and change virtually half a movie as they did with "Rogue One" swopping a few speeders out is not going to be a problem for them.

That boxy "book" speeder reminds of a car I've seen before. I can't find any pics, but I'm sure I've seen a 50s or 60s car that looked a lot like it.
I agonized over this for the longest time too, and it finally clicked. the bloody thing looks like the love child of a book and a '64 Impala :lol

I'm waiting for someone to repost that image in John Deere green.

You mean something like this?

Deere speeder.jpg

They had a video showing that speeder in motion and I really hope it was a test. The thing was moving at maybe 20mph, which might set a record for the slowest SW vehicle. Hopefully they are using a practical vehicle for closeups and CGI or models for when it goes fast.

Remember the speeder footage from Endor was walking pace and sped up in film.

Ben

Actually, the speeder footage from Endor never involved actual moving speeders. They were almost all, it not all, shot against a blue screen and comped against the on location footage. Unless you mean that the actual on location background footage was shot slow and sped up in post.

- - - Updated - - -

They had a video showing that speeder in motion and I really hope it was a test. The thing was moving at maybe 20mph, which might set a record for the slowest SW vehicle. Hopefully they are using a practical vehicle for closeups and CGI or models for when it goes fast.

Considering that it has wheels, it's almost certainly something used for mostly close ups.

trick photography has always been used in filming movies. they certainly weren't actually driving 80 miles an hour when indy was being dragged by a truck hanging onto his whip.

IIRC the speeder bike background plates were recorded at 1 fps, with a human cameraman walking through the woods & wearing a big steadicam rig. The footage ended up looking like about 100 mph. The trees whizzing by so close works to accentuate the speed more than if you're driving on a big open highway.

The Raiders truck chase looks like it uses some 16 fps shots. It looks real when slowed down to 2/3rds speed.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back