K-2S0 3D

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I swear I'm stopping with the head ... Printed off the excellent files from thingiverse. Same files DrscifiProps used for his K-2S0 puppet build.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2038000

Okay ... maybe I'll do the neck too :) But no more than that!

K2.jpg

Looks great. It's a bit of a puzzle to put together. I found some of the small block type pieces that make up the inside of his jaw weren't really needed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Agreed. Took a bit to figure out. The files open very small in the slicer program. I scaled them 3900x as suggested by DrscifiProps. I'm really satisfied with the size.

Last edited:
Brain surgery was a success!
IMG_7070.jpgIMG_7071.jpg

I'm also experimenting with the eyes. One thing that bugs me is that most toys, models, and pictures make Kaytoo's eyes look like bright flashlights. But his eyes in the film were much more subtle and soulful. attached is one of my favorite moments from the film, where Kaytoo's animated eyes really sell the scene. I'm trying to get that subtle glowing ring. So ... I molded the inner ring that came with this excellent eye kit:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2234609
and cast it in clear resin. Filled the center "pupil" and I'm kinda getting the effect I'm looking for.
IMG_7072 (1).jpgIMG_7074.jpgrogue-one-still-k2so-670-380.jpg

Anyone else wonder why the original author didn't just make the files to scale? As someone who doesn't have a 3d printer and is having files printed via places like 3dHubs.com, having the files not be to scale makes getting accurate quotes nearly impossible.

The layer height on the MakerBot is .2mm ... For filling and finishing I'm using Bondo, then some Tamiya Putty.

Finished filling and sanding the two halves of the "dome" together ... I gave everything a shot of black primer to start looking at how he'll look. I'm going to look into a few things for paint. The actual droid was not just black ... and not just one color. There's a couple shades of very dark gray on the helmet.

I also decided to keep the dome and the bottom portion unglued so I can maintain the lights and batteries better. I installed magnets at three points to hold the two together unless I want to get them apart.

I really love this sculpt and this model. Kudos to NordwickDesign. God, even the bottom is cool to look at.

I also decided to turn the little detail on his left cheek into the button to turn lights on and off. Nice and hidden in plain sight. So I glued that piece to the end of a push switch I found at American Science and Surplus.

IMG_7079.jpgIMG_7082.jpgIMG_7081.jpgIMG_7083.jpgIMG_7084.jpgIMG_7080.jpg

Tomorrow I'll fit the neck joints and see how that might work. This will be a display piece so I might even add a bundle of wires coming out of the neck or ball joint. Something to add some story to this. Like he got his head tore off like threepeo was prone to. Dunno, maybe too violent for poor Kaytoo.

Last edited:
Everything is assembled. The neck really finishes him off as a display piece.

I played down the base colors for paint. The bulk is a Black Night Metallic from Rustoleum. Really nice cast iron-ish look. And, i got the switch, eyes and wiring installed. Everything runs of a couple AAAs.

Still ahead is some weathering ... and some sort of stand.

IMG_7099.jpgIMG_7100.jpgIMG_7088.jpgIMG_7089.jpgIMG_7090.jpgIMG_7092.jpgIMG_7094.jpgIMG_7085.jpgIMG_7087.jpg

Finished! Paint and weathering went great today. I as able to get a nice multi-lated effect. He looks metallic and oily :) I also bent up a nifty acrylic stand so he can be upright.

IMG_7116.jpgIMG_7120.jpgIMG_7125.jpgIMG_7127.jpgIMG_7128.jpgIMG_7129.jpgIMG_7130.jpgIMG_7132.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back