The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

I had my cap shield all painted (Duplicolor) and it looked almost perfect but i could t get any dry low humidity days before it got cold so i didnt get it clear coated last fall. But because i wasnt happy w the grooves i just stripped the sucker (very heart breaking). The blue laid down without flaws and the red was tricky. Was thinking of trying blue duplicokor and red testors but curious how folks were able to do the testors without getting blobs or little trapped bubbles like its done to me before. Also any suggestions on a satin clear that would work for the 2 different paints? Thanks!

Meijer also has 1000 and 2000 in their auto section.

I've had my shield taped up to paint the blue for a couple weeks now and I'm also a wondering about the star as you do want the star as close the metal as possible (and if you're using glue/JB Weld type stuff to get it to adhere better). I'm just doubting my ability to get it trimmed so precisely...

Which also leads me to...

Since you riveted the star onto the shield, I'm guessing it's still best to leave bare metal under the star? Did you still use any JB Weld-type stuff to guarantee a tight fit?

Since it's a rivet there is no need to leave bare metal. Just paint the entire middle circle blue. I recommend drilling the pilot holes into the center circle first for your star then paint. The hand rivets leave a very tight fight. Just rivet in the same spots where the simulated rivet would have gone.

I specifically do this because I hate the messiness of JB weld. Riveting also allows for you to remove the star to repair, replace, or repaint without damaging the shield itself.

Does anyone have any experience with the Rustoleum metallic spray in Apple Red and Cobalt Blue? As far as whether the color might work for the shield and what the metallic finish is like (too sparkly?). I like the look of the Duplicolor best out of what I've seen everyone do so far, but I'm hesitant to try it based on what I've read about some people having problems with it. I'm doing a foam shield so stripping paint isn't an option, and I'm also on a budget so I can't be buying new materials over and over. I know the Rustoleum won't have the same anodized effect as the Duplicolor, but I'm thinking it would still be better than a flat color. No matter what paint I use, I've already decided to do the battle damage from TWS if the paint doesn't turn out well. So I *could* just use the Duplicolor over silver metallic and hope for the best, but I'm also trying to look at other options that might give me a better shot at an even paint job so I can keep the shield "clean."

Edit: Or alternately, did anyone end up using the Rustoleum anodized spray? I know it was mentioned in this thread, but I don't remember if it ever got brought up again.

Last edited:
On my 3rd attempt using Duplicolor. Everything turned out pretty well although in the grooves for the red ri gs there are a couple areas where the red is either too light or even not at all where it should be. Any suggestions for fixing the grooves without starting the whole thing over? Ive even seen some empty paint pens and thought about putting duplicolor in one.
Thank you in advance

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on sorting out imperfections without resorting to starting all over again? There are two small spots of dirt or dust or something that have appeared on the blue of my shield after I untaped it from spraying the red. I can probably live with it if there's no way to fix it but damn would it be nice to have the blue as nice as the red..
The clear coat of lacquer is currently drying on it but I'll get some pictures of the problem spots if anyone thinks there could be a way to sort it.

Alrighty the weather is finally getting warmer where I live... Time to dust off my unfinished shield and try to get this bad boy painted once and for all

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Any tips on the best technique to apply clear coat? Is it one heavy coat?

Right with you in that one. I'm planning on applying multiple coats maybe a can or two.

My big big question is do you west sand after? Then buff and polish?

- - - Updated - - -

Any tips on the best technique to apply clear coat? Is it one heavy coat?

Right with you in that one. I'm planning on applying multiple coats maybe a can or two.

My big big question is do you west sand after? Then buff and polish?

The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429066839.087578.jpg
finished shield with star engraved on instead of a glued separate star.

Last edited:

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on sorting out imperfections without resorting to starting all over again? There are two small spots of dirt or dust or something that have appeared on the blue of my shield after I untaped it from spraying the red. I can probably live with it if there's no way to fix it but damn would it be nice to have the blue as nice as the red..
The clear coat of lacquer is currently drying on it but I'll get some pictures of the problem spots if anyone thinks there could be a way to sort it.

Luke, I cant say what Ive done AFTER clearcoating, but I used Duplicolor blue and had some small pin head sized areas in need of touch up. I found a Sharpie Fine tip multi pack. The dark blue in there is too dark but there is a lighter blue that worked perfect for me. I would challenge folks to tell where the touch up occurred. Not sure if that helps, but thats what I did. Obviously there will be a difference in how heavy/light you sprayed vs me so the match up could be just as good or not but good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Luke, I cant say what Ive done AFTER clearcoating, but I used Duplicolor blue and had some small pin head sized areas in need of touch up. I found a Sharpie Fine tip multi pack. The dark blue in there is too dark but there is a lighter blue that worked perfect for me. I would challenge folks to tell where the touch up occurred. Not sure if that helps, but thats what I did. Obviously there will be a difference in how heavy/light you sprayed vs me so the match up could be just as good or not but good luck.

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the brackets on the back of the shield.
I've cut some brackets out of aluminium myself using Valor's original template from the Sled Shield thread, but I'm just wondering how most people go about lining up the pieces to mount - if there's a particular method, or if you just use your arm for a guide. On top of that, does anyone have a suggestion for a good way to make sure they're straight when mounted and not all skewiff?

I'm planning to use mounting tape as has been suggested in the past. Hopefully I can find the right stuff!

Thanks for your help :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the brackets on the back of the shield.
I've cut some brackets out of aluminium myself using Valor's original template from the Sled Shield thread, but I'm just wondering how most people go about lining up the pieces to mount - if there's a particular method, or if you just use your arm for a guide. On top of that, does anyone have a suggestion for a good way to make sure they're straight when mounted and not all skewiff?

I'm planning to use mounting tape as has been suggested in the past. Hopefully I can find the right stuff!

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of a departure from all these pristine paint jobs, I was going for the Winter Soldier damaged look.

captain-america-winter-solider-sebastian-stan.jpg

I built my shield from the flexible flyer sled and it was a bit of a rush job (and my first one) so I made a few rookie mistakes.

1. I used a gauge to make my perfect circles, but then tried to freehand the taping of the circles instead of cutting them with the same gauge.
2. Figured out my mistake on the blue, but then then it didn't match the imperfect red inner circle.
3. And finally, I didn't leave bare metal in the blue for the star adhesion. In hindsight I should have just taped off the star completely.

Since I was going for the damaged Winter Soldier look for my Bucky Barnes cosplay, I'm not losing sleep over these imperfections. Results are attached. I'll need to do another black acrylic wash coat after stripping some blue and adding the star.
I made those mistakes so now you won't (unless you want to). You're welcome. :)

One mistake I liked: I painted the shield before stripping the back. When I stripped the back the next day, the stripping gel seeped around to the edges of the front creating a cool paint damage look along the outer edge. Also, dropping the shield multiple times (let's pretend it was on purpose) only added to the damage effect.

Black Acryclic, then dipped the brush in water
20150418_184503.jpg

Waited about 1 minute, then wiped it off with a towel.
20150418_184851.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my progress so far (star not attached yet). For the first time in my life I got a great gloss finish when polishing with a buffer but for the first time ever, thats bot what I was after! I cleared with Krylon Satin and it had a great matte finish but after wet sanding with 2000 grit and polishing to remove some orange peel, It ended up much glossier than desired. But Im not complaining too much. So any tricks to gluing the star down at this point to avoid drips? Do folks mask the star location so nothing oozes onto the painted surface?

cap shield2.jpgcap shield.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Getting ready to paint my new shield this weekend, are you guys using any primers for the aluminum or just painting the Duplicolor straight onto it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back