Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai (& Reboxed as Revell) 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon

Not at all HAJ, And I sincerely hope you didn't think I was bashing in any way what so ever, I think I speak for quite a few of our brothers when I say, the work you do and the effort and lengths you go to are revered and appreciated. Hell, I wish I had that sort of tenacity. I was simply making an observation of the build from my perspective. And I'll also say right now in all sincerity, whatever I end up with at the end of this build will not even come close to what you're crafting. Ok, have I sucked up enough? LOL Just wanted you to know I wasn't criticizing. You're aces brother!:thumbsup
That's been part of the fun for me on this kit: finding out how the miniature was made, where it's parts came from, and how has changed over the years. I usually don't invest the kind of time and energy into the archeological research that I'm doing on this kit, but I'm going for something very specific with this kit. I'm trying to recreate the miniature as it looked -- exact as I possibly can make it -- when it was photographed for ANH in 1976 and early 1977. Why? Because it's fun for me. The Bandai PG is as close as I'll ever get to owning the miniature I saw on the screen in 1977. So sorting through the reference photos to determine which ones represent the miniature during that time is part of the process.

In no way do I insist (or even recommend) anyone build this model the way I'm doing it. But for me, this IS fun. I could've build the gunports using Bandai's interior pieces, but for me it was more interesting to research the faux gunport interior on the 5-footer and try to recreate that instead. Why? Because. It's my attempt to make this build into something really special to me. For me, the agony would be in saying to myself, "Eh, it's good enough" but never quite getting it the way I want it.

Nope, I'm going full bat-schmidt crazy. One of the archive photos shows a hair that got painted over in 1977 and is still visible today. Hair.jpg Just to be a stinker (and as a joke) I pulled one of my dog's hairs out of the carpet (I'm balding and my own hair is too precious!) and painted it on using Testors canopy glue. What can I say. I got a wild hair and just did it! :lol:facepalm

:lol:lol:thumbsup Dude, that's awesome!!
Nope, I'm going full bat-schmidt crazy. One of the archive photos shows a hair that got painted over in 1977 and is still visible today. View attachment 848334 Just to be a stinker (and as a joke) I pulled one of my dog's hairs out of the carpet (I'm balding and my own hair is too precious!) and painted it on using Testors canopy glue. What can I say. I got a wild hair and just did it! :lol:facepalm

Nope, I'm going full bat-schmidt crazy. One of the archive photos shows a hair that got painted over in 1977 and is still visible today. View attachment 848334 Just to be a stinker (and as a joke) I pulled one of my dog's hairs out of the carpet (I'm balding and my own hair is too precious!) and painted it on using Testors canopy glue. What can I say. I got a wild hair and just did it! :lol:facepalm

Someone call a psychiatrist. This guy needs help! :wacko :lol

Someone call a psychiatrist. This guy needs help! :wacko :lol

I second that. And so do I!

Even though it was a tongue-in-cheek tribute to my own obsessiveness, I'll confess that a series of ridiculous thoughts ran through my head. "But how out of scale will this hair be? Was the original Joe Johnston's hair or Lorne Peterson's? Which of those two had the thicker hair?" :lol

Rolling on the floor!! :lol I was just thinking last night...someone call the guys in white coats!
I second that. And so do I!

Even though it was a tongue-in-cheek tribute to my own obsessiveness, I'll confess that a series of ridiculous thoughts ran through my head. "But how out of scale will this hair be? Was the original Joe Johnston's hair or Lorne Peterson's? Which of those two had the thicker hair?" :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait to get my trooper armor done so I can start on MY PG! Fun times dead ahead:thumbsup

Rolling on the floor!! :lol I was just thinking last night...someone call the guys in white coats!

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait to get my trooper armor done so I can start on MY PG! Fun times dead ahead:thumbsup

Yes you do! I'm about halfway done with mine. And NKG has the ESB pits nearly completed.

Can't wait! Right after the show on the 3rd I'm diving in...that reminds me, I haven't build an outer shroud for the Echo Dio to conceal all the wires and crap. May have to make that out of cardboard and shoot it with wall texture stuff, then a coat of white, quick and easy. That keeps the weight down. for display at home in that shelf it only needs the front façade. may have to try to whip that out this weekend because I have to work the next one...inventory:eek
Yes you do! I'm about halfway done with mine. And NKG has the ESB pits nearly completed.

And NKG has the ESB pits nearly completed.

Mostly, yeah. The basic pit designs are complete as far as I can make them, unless new photographic evidence comes to light.

All I need to do now is to do a test print to confirm that the upper surface conforms correctly to the internal curvature of the saucer shell. Kind of fiddly stuff.

I've also written up this:

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/five-foot-falcon-maintenance-pits

pit-models.jpg

Mostly, yeah. The basic pit designs are complete as far as I can make them, unless new photographic evidence comes to light.

All I need to do now is to do a test print to confirm that the upper surface conforms correctly to the internal curvature of the saucer shell. Kind of fiddly stuff.

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/five-foot-falcon-maintenance-pits

View attachment 848421

Man, you do some impressive work, NKG! It's guys like you that inspire guys like me to do that much better when it comes to putting out an acceptable Falcon!

OK, I know it's been said but I'll say it again...nkg...you're a freakin' genius dude!

View attachment 848421

Thanks for the kind words. :) It’s fun designing these things and then seeing what people do with them out in the wild. So to speak.

Last edited:

So after scouring the various part ID maps and a ton of sprues looking for the missing underside greeblie, I think I may have found something close. Here again are the pre-ESB modification images: Missing lower starboard piece 2.pngMissing greeblie lower hull 3.jpg

I was finally looking at Jay Machado's Millennium Falcon Greeble Crawl video and spotted this piece:
Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 10.51.44 AM.png It has an oval base and raised detail that is as close to what appears in the archive images. I still have no idea what donor kit the piece comes from, but it's in the same ballpark. What do you guys think? Anyone know the original part?

Attachments

• Missing lower starboard piece.png
    Missing lower starboard piece.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 180

I'm sure everyone has seen this already (the only bigger SW nerds than me are the ones on RPF! :D), but if not, making-of ESB documentary by Michael Parbot was uploaded to YouTube at the beginning of the month. Includes behind-the-scenes Hoth stuff, including models (Falcon, Slave 1, SD, etc), at the end.

Quality isn't great but....it's Empire!

If this is really old, lame news, please feel free to ruin my life.

LINK

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back