A run of ceramic scales [help]

PersephoneK

Hi y'all, I'm trying to plan out a Sabriel cosplay (from the Garth Nix novel of the same name), and keep running into the same problem: her "gethre" armor: from the books, it's fairly explicitly a ceramic scale mail. I think the least cost-prohibitive way to make this would be to make a large silicone half-open mold that produces a couple dozen scales at a time, cast it in Shapecrete or similar, and then polish them in a vibratory tumbler. However, as I would need on the order of a thousand scales this will take ****ing forever to produce. Instead, do y'all know of anywhere where I could just order a run of a thousand or so ceramic pieces to spec? Each piece would be about 1 in x 0.5 in x <0.25 in, and have 5 small holes in it. Apologies for the ridiculous ask x_x

(for some reason the tagging system isn't working for me so no tags on this post =( )

I think you should look at something like sintra or similar. Custom ceramic tiles on that order would still be cost prohibitive. Not to mention weight, etc.

I'm actually planning on attempting this myself, but going the painfully slow route. The current plan is to use Sculpy Ultralight and a half round strap end punch. Was a color ever mentioned in the books for gethre?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back