Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

No no I realize that. I don't expect there to be a universal, one-size-fits-all setup. Let me rephrase the question: Does anyone have more archival photos of their hinge components? I understand the concept behind the arms and their linkages, I was just hoping for more and better photos to draft my own designs from.

Check page 33 post 803.

You can see from the mock up that its to the shape of the helmet to make sure the face plate gets clearance. I will be using this exact method for my helmet by doing a rubbing of the side of the helmet to insure its perfect then can play around with the hinges.

Emphasis added. Those photos are great. I would still like to see more photos from other people's builds. Or has nobody else gotten to that stage yet?

Well I am doing mine tonight so will take lots of pics and write up a thorough description of the process that way it can be discussed there :)

You are using two CON 10uf ..one is for the board if it gets "hungry" and same with the servo so the voltage spike is kept at a min.? Never seen a CIN CAP that's why I'm asking. I never though I would love this much lol Thanks guys as always.

I'm using 2 10uF capacitors, just to filter the noise, and also to make both, the input and output stable.

You are using two CON 10uf ..one is for the board if it gets "hungry" and same with the servo so the voltage spike is kept at a min.? Never seen a CIN CAP that's why I'm asking. I never though I would love this much lol Thanks guys as always.

I'm using 2 10uF capacitors, just to filter the noise, and also to make both, the input and output stable.

here is the circuit board ready to print at home:

Vregcircuit_zps66e225fa.jpg

just finished installing my servos in the helmet and all is great no lights yet though (don't have any)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my setup right now.
Photo a.jpgPhoto b.jpgservo setup 20.6.2013.jpg

I works execpt for the LED strips. Dont know how to connect. I want them connected to a 9v battery or something.
I use the one led as in post 1, just for testing.
The GP works, but sometimes after installing the external scwitch the servos automatically close after opening. :S

So basically this is my wanted setup, but i just cant figure it out how to get everthig running with external power sources.

Can please some one help me and sketch a setup for me based on my messy/incomplete sketch. Wenn possible a partlist for the stuff i need to buy.
I really wanna start installing this so i can finish the helmet.

tnx

and i bought this for the JARVIS sounds. Its a wishing card recording chip.
audio.jpg
-Yellow is the button to record
-the silver round thing with black and red cable is the mic.
-speaker obvious
-below the yellow cable is a metal bar, as soon as it hits the metal plate beneath it, the sound will play.

Anyone an idea for connecting this to the arduino?

memebr-

looks good to me! protection diode as well :)

JayCVenlo -

you cold probably just connect your 'bar' (or whatever) to an Arduino pin..and whenever you close connection (not sure if its hi or low its looking for)

it should trigger the sound.....no?

as for the leds.. it was already discussed (in length) that you can NOT drive multiple leds from an Arduino pin..

you need to us a resistor to 'trigger' this....

what is your led strip rated for? how many leds? in what configuration?

make sure your regulate the power before the transistor/leds.. transistor is more or less just a trigger, that lets the voltage/current flow through it to the target device/component(s)..

JayCVenlo -

you cold probably just connect your 'bar' (or whatever) to an Arduino pin..and whenever you close connection (not sure if its hi or low its looking for)

as for the leds.. it was already discussed (in length) that you can NOT drive multiple leds from an Arduino pin..

make sure your regulate the power before the transistor/leds.. transistor is more or less just a trigger, that lets the voltage/current flow through it to the target device/component(s)..[/QUOTE]

1. Yes the bar is the switch. As soon as it hits the metal underneath it, the chip activates and plays the sound sample. What you are saying is connect the bar to a arduino port, and connect the metal underneath to ground.?
2. What should the code look like?
3 the 2 led strips are 12v with each 6 leds. I believe per 3 leds there is a build in resistor. When i just connect them to a 9 volt the run just fine. But how do i connect them to the arduino for fading and flickering?

Any advise on the gp battery pack?
It was okay at first but now with the external control push switch the servos automaticcaly go down after going up, without me pressing. With the test button on the breadboard i didnt had this problem.

thanks omarbou1 I've made it stable now just put second servo in and got better range of motion after editing servo position and pep im not sure whos doesn't have a name on it

@JayCVenlo -

make sure your regulate the power before the transistor/leds.. transistor is more or less just a trigger, that lets the voltage/current flow through it to the target device/component(s)..

1. Yes the bar is the switch. As soon as it hits the metal underneath it, the chip activates and plays the sound sample. What you are saying is connect the bar to a arduino port, and connect the metal underneath to ground.?
2. What should the code look like?
3 the 2 led strips are 12v with each 6 leds. I believe per 3 leds there is a build in resistor. When i just connect them to a 9 volt the run just fine. But how do i connect them to the arduino for fading and flickering?

Any advise on the gp battery pack?
It was okay at first but now with the external control push switch the servos automaticcaly go down after going up, without me pressing. With the test button on the breadboard i didnt had this problem.[/QUOTE]

if you read the thread.. MOST of the talk has been about the following:

1.) powering your servo(s) from an external battery pack (NOT THE ARDUINO)
** you are powering the servo from the Arduino :(

2.) connecting the GNDs from the battery >> arduino ..... battery >> servo ...... GND Arduino >>> GND Servo
** you have GND from Arduino to servo

3.) you can NOT power more than 1 led off an Arduino pin.. to control more.. use a transistor (or equivalent) (as posted in many of the wiring diagrams here)
**you are powering your led array from the Arduino.

think of it like this:

your battery source needs to power/connect to:

* arduino
* servo(s)
* transistor (for leds)

*you'll need to connect/add a wire from a GND pin on the Arduino to the servo(s) as.. (same place where the GND wire from the battery pack is going to the servo)

as far as your battery pack.... not sure hwo that works to be honest... although Im sure it easy to look up.

when powering through the USB.. Im not sure what/how they exactly works and if it varies for each model..

you might be able to use either the VIN or RAW pins? to tap the 5v USb battery thing directly? again Im not sure, this isnt the approach I would have used.

hey gang-

couple of things..

1.) uploading a vid of my dev set-up.. (nothing but servos and leds w/breadboard set-up like everyone else!) lol..

(waiting for it to be done)

http://youtu.be/VzPivAzSb5M

2.) I was wondering if I could trouble some of you M fans out there for some sound effects?

I have zero audio skills... (and thats being nice!) :)

I am looking for a 'clang/clank' (like the lid closing).. and a 'whirring' sound of gears or servo's as well

two separate sound FX.. (.wav format preferably.. however there are free converters all over the net) :)

anybody wanna help a brother out? :)

I'd like to add some sound to my project.

thanks!

Last edited:
hey gang-

couple of things..

1.) uploading a vid of my dev set-up.. (nothing but servos and leds w/breadboard set-up like everyone else!) lol..

(waiting for it to be done)

IronMan eye fade & servo control demo - YouTube

2.) I was wondering if I could trouble some of you M fans out there for some sound effects?

I have zero audio skills... (and thats being nice!) :)

I am looking for a 'clang/clank' (like the lid closing).. and a 'whirring' sound of gears or servo's as well

two separate sound FX.. (.wav format preferably.. however there are free converters all over the net) :)

anybody wanna help a brother out? :)

I'd like to add some sound to my project.

thanks!

Here you go opening closing and clank as requested IM Sound - Download - 4shared

OK guys my new leds came today so ive fitted them into my faceplate and made some filters for them which i need to make more opaque i think (not made my mind up yet ) so put together a quick video showing my setup as it stands now and i also try and explain how ive set it up using batteries hope this helps some people

Here's a link to the leds i used ---> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300668125...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4500wt_1141

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ql9o7DSszU&feature=youtu.be

Awesome thanks a lot here I go to electrical shop again :)

OK guys my new leds came today so ive fitted them into my faceplate and made some filters for them which i need to make more opaque i think (not made my mind up yet ) so put together a quick video showing my setup as it stands now and i also try and explain how ive set it up using batteries hope this helps some people

Here's a link to the leds i used ---> 2x5V 24 Piranha SMD LED Panel Board Lamp White Light Super Brightness 400MA 1.2W | eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ql9o7DSszU&feature=youtu.be

Demolition -

thanks for the link.. but can you put it somewhere you DONT have to sign up for a free account to get it?

IM Sound - Download - 4shared

thanks!

also.. watching your video.

be careful you dont blow you Arduino..

it 'looks' as if you are running those leds pcbs directly from the Arduino!

according to the specs.. they take 400mA (each!)

1 Arduino pin can only SAFELY put out 20mA (40mA max)..

'and' driving servo's from it too? dangerous!..

in the end you add another pack.. but you could just use the same pack.. as long as you power the leds and servos directly from it..

(unless the single pack doesnt have enough current?)

"I'm" surprised its working at all!!

@Demolition -

thanks for the link.. but can you put it somewhere you DONT have to sign up for a free account to get it?

IM Sound - Download - 4shared

thanks!

also.. watching your video.

be careful you dont blow you Arduino..

it 'looks' as if you are running those leds pcbs directly from the Arduino!

according to the specs.. they take 400mA (each!)

1 Arduino pin can only SAFELY put out 20mA (40mA max)..

'and' driving servo's from it too? dangerous!..

in the end you add another pack.. but you could just use the same pack.. as long as you power the leds and servos directly from it..

(unless the single pack doesnt have enough current?)

"I'm" surprised its working at all!!

Here you go buddie see it this one works IM Sound.rar

Thanks for the heads up if i wire the leds direct to the battery how will it get its commands from the adruino or am i missing something

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back