Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I am simply in awe of the relentless tenacity you guys have to replicate every single noticeable detail. Things that the casual observer would never see. I have to admit that I lack the fortitude you gentlemen have...but I'm striving for it :rolleyes

Was planning to start a couple months back but chickened out. But, yeah, maybe when the weather gets better. Just really worried about my lack of painting skills and of potentially of messing up the 400-dollar kit. Maybe if I stare at the beautiful work of the modelers here long enough some of their painting skills might rub off on me : ) Hey, I still remember your 1/144 work and your painting procedure -- that will certainly come in handy.
You could practice on smaller kits first. Get those bad paint jobs out of your system! That's what I'm doing

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

You could practice on smaller kits first. Get those bad paint jobs out of your system! That's what I'm doing

I have an X-wing kit and a Y-wing kit both awaiting that fate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah,

There's a couple guys doing a run on an MPC first and probably just the upper and lower main pieces...I may do that myself even though I've done a handful of MPC's already but not at the higher level like these guys are doing. I have a closet full of MPC's anyway, including one that I've already practiced on .:lol The Bandai has to be as right as possible...400 dollar kit, it better be, right?:thumbsup

Was planning to start a couple months back but chickened out. But, yeah, maybe when the weather gets better. Just really worried about my lack of painting skills and of potentially of messing up the 400-dollar kit. Maybe if I stare at the beautiful work of the modelers here long enough some of their painting skills might rub off on me : ) Hey, I still remember your 1/144 work and your painting procedure -- that will certainly come in handy.

You gotta dive in head first...like an empty swimming pool.
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably won't start mine until after I move. I think I am going to set up a dedicated work bench just for this build and then have my main bench for other builds. That way I can do a little work on the Falcon here and there while I am waiting for paint/glue to dry on another build.

It does seem like a daunting build. So many parts! So many dollars! I get to start mine late June(birthday present!), and I’ve actually appreciated the time to put a few Bandai kits together, including the 1/144.
I’m still relatively new to the hobby, but I’ve drawn, painted and sculpted for years, so I’m hoping my artistic tendencies kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Although assembling the many parts on the PG Falcon is no small task, Ive spent more time on the decals, painting, and weathering.

Almost anyone can put the kit together but few can really make it look like an ILM filming model that we saw on screen and do justice! Thst will take some really hard work.

So if your hesitant to start building, don't be. Use that time of the build to become familiar with the Falcons complexities and just enjoy yourself. It will help build your confidence and knowledge for the next stages. Learn as you go along and have fun.

I'd be done by now if it wasn't Turkey season :)
a549fd4b2c4b140ed507c3853b163deb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Star Wars promo web show did a thing on making a replica of the Falcon with plastic cups, as a PR thing for the upcoming Han Solo movie.

The interesting thing for me is that they showed a shot I've never seen before - Joe Johnston about to start airbrushing the original five footer!

johnston.jpg

Nitpick: the images above were taken in the Van Nuys facility, not the Marin County facility, as suggested by the captions. :)

IMG_1365.JPGIMG_1367.JPGVYFE2998.JPGIMG_1349.JPGIMG_1350.JPGStill very much a wip. I did get some bandai cracking on the underside in 3 places. Where the vector flap unit mounts and on the corridor side panels on the starboard side. Both cracked with mig enamel thinner. I laid it on a little thick to fast and I heard the *Tink* noise. All Archive X paints primed with Tamiya fine. So it will happen on this. Luckily I could hide it all with battle damage and mist coats.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back