Five foot millennium falcon : research questions

Vacformedhero

Sr Member
Hi,
in an attempt to mock up the koolshade for the five foot millennium falcon I have some questions.
i am aware of the 23 vertical louvres per inch .
i have mocked up .5 mm brass bar with .5 spacing, which works out very close to the correct dimensions,
can someone with vintage koolshade confirm that?

as part of identifying the dimension of the cooling duct, when reviewing the size of the 6 cooling ducts in the rear Mandela of the falcon, I can see that the edge of 1/35 tamiya Panther deck immediately behind the vent seems to align with the interior diameter of the cooling duct, see my second photo.
my questions are , would the kits of the 70's have matched a modern kit as the modern deck width comes out at 44mm (tamiya Panther type g late version, 35176 3900), and counting koolshade verticals puts it at between 75 and 76 mm.
As I am eyeballing rather than using photogrammetry so there is a real chance that I am out, but I would appreciate if someone has a vintage Panther and compare the deck width.
also if anyone has vintage koolshade, can they confirm the vertical bar spacing as 12mm and what diameter are the vertical and horizontal bars.
lastly if anyone has enough vintage koolshade to be useful for a five foot millennium falcon (cockpit corridor, cooling duct grills and port, starboard vent details) I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase some,
Brian
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reading what's on your calipers, the deck is about 71mm wide, not sure how you came with the 44mm number ?
Sorry that should have read 74mm , the right mandible is sitting on top of the deck , as the sides were sloped I couldn't hold the calliper and take the shot, I'll try and tak it again

There's a fair bit of mis-information in that thread unfortunately.
The correct kit is Tamiya's 1/35 Panther Ausf A, the G model is completely wrong.

The G is a "new" tooling (90's) of a different version of the Panther.
As Stu said it's the good old Panther A you want. Not sure if it's currently produced but it was some years ago and is easy to find (and usually cheaper than the G).

There's a fair bit of mis-information in that thread unfortunately.
The correct kit is Tamiya's 1/35 Panther Ausf A, the G model is completely wrong.

Thank you, I have tried to check kit contents before purchase , in this case there was 20% discount so I took a chance ,
is there anyone who knows how to access the starship modellers site(I mailed for access but got no reply) as I understood they have 5 foot falcon builders there too ? Or any other falcon references I can access?
i know I am coming to this party late but I hope I have the enthusiasm to keep going.

No problem. Just ask if you need to know anything, here to help & encourage.
I haven't been on Starship Modeler for years, so can't help you there sorry.
I'm sure there's quite a few older threads here somewhere with ref pics & some of my older Falcon threads.

Eagle1
thank you , I appreciate any help I can, I know it's a long road. I have read through a lot of the five foot threads, a lot of information.
, MonsiuerTox
Thank you, not having experience with military kits means more looking at sprues , thanks for the confirmation.
and vfxsup64 that is a brilliant shot and confirms the dimensions.

Two things that that have become very apparent, if I want to get this built in a reasonable time I may have to pick alternative kits , like use Tamiya instead of very rare bandai.
I know your builds have tried to keep to original manufacturers (and with the detail levels on bandai kit I can understand the difference ) but realistically am I going to be able to get any of the bandai kits reasonably priced?
If I cannot other options 3D printing and getting casts done of iconic (read rare and expensive )kits , are these viable
i have 3D printed aurora munitions carrier part and am waiting for that (thanks to maruska for sharing the 3D files) and I'll test other parts soon as well.
Is there anyone supplying specific casts of particular parts for example Ferrari 312B engine halves , as opposed to the whole jagdpanther pit , as I would prefer to get the enjoyment of building these sections. other candidates would be the engine blocks and headers and other detailed parts from tanks that other manufacturers don't supply again these would be brilliant .
appreciate all info
Brian

Wow. To actually see the model kit and piece used and where it was used side by side is outstanding!!
is there any threads or sites that show more images like this.? I could spend hours looking at things like this.

thanks for sharing this great insight.
search for five foot or ANH millennium falcon will throw up a few
here is the main maps page, I've browsed these images a lot already
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=104116&highlight=Map+I'd

Small update I just wanted to show the raw 3D printed parts maruska supplies the 3D parts of , which I picked up today
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Here they are next to the 1/35 scale Panther g for shape comparison , and 1/25 scale centurion for size comparison
the aurora plough blades are quite rough, I have never cleaned up 3D printed parts before so I need to research it .

Uh ?! Where did you get these parts from ? The finish is quite... RoughEven with the cheapest material from shapeways I did not get parts that rough ?

Looking at those parts Brian, I don't feel they are useable!. Must have been a very low rez or the printer is off in some way.
Email on its way ok & we'll talk about those parts. No need for you to print those parts.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back