Captain Marvel

I don't have a clue about who this character is, but I've liked all the Marvel stuff so far. It might have been mentioned, but I finally watched Infinity War and in the credits was
she who Nick Fury paged right before he was zapped out of existence? It looked like his pager had the logo on her uniform on it.

I don't have a clue about who this character is, but I've liked all the Marvel stuff so far. It might have been mentioned, but I finally watched Infinity War and in the credits was
she who Nick Fury paged right before he was zapped out of existence? It looked like his pager had the logo on her uniform on it.

Yes, this is who he was reaching out to.

Last edited:
Captain Marvel was absolutely my favorite superhero when he was male and drawn by Jim Starlin in the 1970’s. I liked the character design, the way he fought (even used Karate chops), his “cosmic awareness”, etc. Then he died ...
The teenager in me really, really liked Ms. Marvel in the black outfit with the red sash.

I’ll settle for this. She looks great.

opw-16473_r.jpg

From the green uniform colors, it looks like Carol, Ronan & Korbath are all on the same team.

opw-16329_r-2.jpg
Also, notice that Ronan is not sporting his black face paint at this time.

Not really familiar with the Carol Danvers incarnation of Capt. Marvel .
Stopped reading Avengers ( and most comics ) a long while back , however I do recall an African American version of this character also female by the surname of name of Rambeau , but she had lost the vast majority of her incredible powers and was replaced as team leader of the Avengers . I’m wondering if I’m remembering this correctly , and if the photo of the fighter pilot with that last name ( post#149 ) is a knowing nod to that character ?

:cheersGed

Not really familiar with the Carol Danvers incarnation of Capt. Marvel .
Stopped reading Avengers ( and most comics ) a long while back , however I do recall an African American version of this character also female by the surname of name of Rambeau , but she had lost the vast majority of her incredible powers and was replaced as team leader of the Avengers . I’m wondering if I’m remembering this correctly , and if the photo of the fighter pilot with that last name ( post#149 ) is a knowing nod to that character ?

:cheersGed

The character you're thinking of is Monica Rambeau, and speculation is that Maria "Photon" Rambeau is Monica's mother, since Maria is billed as a single mother in this movie. And yes, you are correct, she did take over the mantle of Captain Marvel for a time.

Man, that shot of Carol's group walking toward Ronan's group... is it just me, or is Carol giving him the evil eye?

Slightly off topic but does it bother anybody else that a film about THIS Captain Marvel and one about Shazam (the REAL Captain Marvel) are coming out very close to each other?

Man, that shot of Carol's group walking toward Ronan's group... is it just me, or is Carol giving him the evil eye?

To be fair... Carol gives lots of people the evil eye. ;)

Slightly off topic but does it bother anybody else that a film about THIS Captain Marvel and one about Shazam (the REAL Captain Marvel) are coming out very close to each other?

Nope. Not even a little bit.

Nope. Not even a little bit.

Well it bothers many. It will be interesting to see how this wannabe "Captain Marvel" does. I mean, it was a man, then some alien then a black woman and then whatever I see here. Add that with the REAL Captain Marvel who was created years before Marvel comics even existed. I'm very sad that DC was bullied by Marvel forcing DC to rename their character Shazam just so THEY could keep the name for a character or characters or...whatever.

Yeah, many are confused...and rightly so.

Well it bothers many. It will be interesting to see how this wannabe "Captain Marvel" does. I mean, it was a man, then some alien then a black woman and then whatever I see here. Add that with the REAL Captain Marvel who was created years before Marvel comics even existed. I'm very sad that DC was bullied by Marvel forcing DC to rename their character Shazam just so THEY could keep the name for a character or characters or...whatever.

Cool. No one's forcing you to watch it.

As for DC, I hope that Shazam does well. Their live action department needs more than one success and Billy Batson is a fun character.

As for the name thing... It's over and done with. There's no point in getting upset over it.

Cool. No one's forcing you to watch it.

As for DC, I hope that Shazam does well. Their live action department needs more than one success and Billy Batson is a fun character.

As for the name thing... It's over and done with. There's no point in getting upset over it.

Oh, I'm not "upset". Marvel's abomination of the name Captain Marvel speaks for itself.

Oh, I'm not "upset". Marvel's abomination of the name Captain Marvel speaks for itself.

So you're holding a grudge that the comics industry let go literally over 40 years ago? "An alien, a black woman, and whatever I'm seeing here" is quite the pejorative stance. Are you really that mad about your boy wizard hero that has rarely outsold Carol Danvers?

No one cares but a few butt hurt DC fanboys.

Last edited:
Not even sure where you're coming from, there. Fawcett's Captain Marvel started in 1940, had to stop in the '50s due to DC claiming he was a copy of Superman. In the '70s DC started acquiring the rights to the character, a process they had completed by the '90s. But in the meantime, Timely Comics had become Marvel Comics in the '60s, and they debuted their own Captain Marvel that same decade to jump on the opportunity, and they've published a Captain Marvel comic ever since, in order to keep the trademark away from DC. So DC has grumbled and quietly shifted to calling their Captain Marvel "SHAZAM" instead -- when that's actually the wizard he got his power from. *shrug* Either way, this is a decades-old non-issue, and anyone who's actually upset by this has their priorities seriously out of whack. To me and many, it is absolutely not at all a problem that Marvel Comics has a Captain Marvel.

Personally, I like both Captains Marvel, and have no problem letting both exist under the monicker. I don't see how Marvel's version is an "abomination".

I'm 52 years old. I knew the ENTIRE Fawcett's Captain Marvel history by the time I was nine. Schooling me on his history is not needed.

As far as "no one cares but a few butt hurt DC fan boys". Could you BE any more condescending? I'm sure you can. Nonetheless, to that childish comment I say, PROVE IT. After all, you implied that it was a fact, no?

WTF? I wasn't attempting to "school". The contents of your comments on the matter seemed less than fully informed, and since I didn't know where any knowledge gaps might be, I thumbnailed the entire history to be safe. I, too, knew the DC Marvel first, also from a young age. I like him a lot (admittedly, I prefer him as a standalone character, versus the Marvel Family -- YMMV). I like everything Marvel has done with their Captain Marvel. They couldn't be more different, apart from the name, and that's why I have no problem with them coexisting.

As far as "condescending"... Given Marvel's Captain Marvel has been around for half a century, and DC's a little less (not counting the Fawcett years for purposes of comparison, for hopefully-obvious reasons), and given most readers I've talked to over the years prefer one (sometimes as part of a general imprint-preference, sometimes not), but have had no issue with the existence of the other... Yeah, I think "outrage" and "abomination" are eye-rollingly hyperbolic, and decades late to what has always seemed a settled matter to me. Had no trouble understanding and accepting it as a kid: Marvel and DC both have a Captain Marvel, for reasons, and DC's came first. Okay. That anyone might take umbrage after so long seems silly to me.

This bit:

Never mind "many", from the language you use it sounds like it bothers you. I don't know what's confusing about the "wannabe". He was a male alien, the champion of his people, who hooked up with an Earthling woman (Carol Danvers), chose Earth over his own people, and ultimately died protecting his adopted home. When he did, he transferred his powers to the woman he loved, who has had the title since (minus temporary hiatuses). Yeah, others have had the power and the name, particularly in alternate universes and time periods, but that's a whole other matter. It's mostly a straight throughline, with Carol being the character (under one name or another) for as long as DC's been publishing their Captain Marvel.

Also, most of DC rebranding theirs as SHAZAM was an internal decision, not forced by Marvel. They just couldn't have a book or merchandise (i.e., logo) calling the character "Captain Marvel" But all the way through the '70s and '80s and '90s I knew him as Captain Marvel. Until New52, when DC kiiiiinda screwed up a lot of their characters.

So I have had zero experience of either this persecution, confusion, or hostility you speak of.

I'm 52 years old. I knew the ENTIRE Fawcett's Captain Marvel history by the time I was nine. Schooling me on his history is not needed.

As far as "no one cares but a few butt hurt DC fan boys". Could you BE any more condescending? I'm sure you can. Nonetheless, to that childish comment I say, PROVE IT. After all, you implied that it was a fact, no?

If you think my comment was more condescending than your "alien, black woman" comment.. well... I was condescending to you. You were condescending to giant swaths of comic books fans just as old and into their stories as you. You didn't have to come into this thread, but you did, specifically to crap on anybody who's a fan of Carol Danvers and Marvel. THAT is condescending.

And YOU are the one claiming there's some great outrage, the burden of proof is on you. I've been reading comics most of my life and I've never seen/heard anyone get mad about the Captain Marvel stuff. It's literally been multiple decades, most people just shrug and say it is what it is.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back