Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I'd like to know what people are referring to when they talk about "poor writing". Are they referring to the story, the dialogue, what is it that you guys are talking about?

So for instance. I rate TLJ about the same as the Prequels, maybe a bit higher. And like the Prequels, I love the story in TLJ, but it feels at times, messy, and unpolished. The fact that it took me 4 times to work out, what's the deal with everyone, particularly Rose, and Holdo. However, unlike the prequels, this film has good dialogue and acting. Not once did I feel the levels of cringe that I got from Anakin and Padme's after dinner chat in ATOC.

I guess the best way to put this is, it feels like the same guy wrote and directed it. Much like the Prequels........

Check out the TLJ thread, start reading posts starting on the release date. There's plenty of examples there without another circular discussion in this thread. ;)

Check out the TLJ thread, start reading posts starting on the release date. There's plenty of examples there without another circular discussion in this thread. ;)

Amen. Apart from the original TLJ thread, there are also PT threads and also a start a new thread options that cover the issues in that post.

I'd like to know what people are referring to when they talk about "poor writing". Are they referring to the story, the dialogue, what is it that you guys are talking about?

So for instance. I rate TLJ about the same as the Prequels, maybe a bit higher. And like the Prequels, I love the story in TLJ, but it feels at times, messy, and unpolished. The fact that it took me 4 times to work out, what's the deal with everyone, particularly Rose, and Holdo. However, unlike the prequels, this film has good dialogue and acting. Not once did I feel the levels of cringe that I got from Anakin and Padme's after dinner chat in ATOC.

I guess the best way to put this is, it feels like the same guy wrote and directed it. Much like the Prequels........

I had at least an equally strong cringe moment right out of the gate - the prank call. Do it one time, it probably works, not beating it to death what was it? 4 times? That took me out right in the beginning. Not to mention, it's pretty easy in the SWU to communicate planet to ship. Why not just call them herself?

I had at least an equally strong cringe moment right out of the gate - the prank call. Do it one time, it probably works, not beating it to death what was it? 4 times? That took me out right in the beginning. Not to mention, it's pretty easy in the SWU to communicate planet to ship. Why not just call them herself?

You know the first time I watched it, it felt a bit cringy. But it's really grown on me, and I really like that scene now!:lol

You know the first time I watched it, it felt a bit cringy. But it's really grown on me, and I really like that scene now!:lol

You became resigned to it, and through expectation, were content with what now was a controlled environment. There were no surprises to be had.

I was less perturbed by the film the 2nd time around, simply because one can only be truly aghast at something once. You go into recovery mode and redefine the medium, just to make it tolerable.

I still can't believe I'm writing these words about a Star Wars film. :-/

You became resigned to it, and through expectation, were content with what now was a controlled environment. There were no surprises to be had.

I was less perturbed by the film the 2nd time around, simply because one can only be truly aghast at something once. You go into recovery mode and redefine the medium, just to make it tolerable.

You mean it's the "it's starting to grow on me...like a tumour" situation? :lol
Admittedly though I've only seen it once in the theatre. Watched a couple of scenes, bits and bobs and deleted scenes since but didn't really have the inclination to rewatch it from start to finish. There will be a day eventually, just like I had a prequel marathon a couple of years back...

You mean it's the "it's starting to grow on me...like a tumour" situation? :lol

Exactly like that, yes. Maybe kind of a Stockholm Syndrome thing. :)

in truth, I was sort of obligated to see it a 2nd time; my mother and I have seen every SW film in the theatre since I was a little boy, so it's become a tradition. :) She was obviously much less critical of the film, more into just sharing the moment, so I tried to do likewise.

Upon immediate reflection after parting, however, I still hated it with a fiery anger.

Oh I don't know about that. I still put my head in my hands when Anakin starts talking about how much he hates sand..........

Upon immediate reflection after parting, however, I still hated it with a fiery anger.

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." :D

Just to keep up the Resistance to people phrasing their subjective opinions as objective Truth™, this moviegoer did not "become resigned" to the yo-momma prank call. I, and the people I went with opening night, thought it was wonderful and in character both ways (Poe and Hux), and it still makes me laugh on repeated viewings. It is not objective cringe, even if some people don't like it or think it fits. I had more of a problem with Snoke slamming Hux around after losing the Dreadnought.

Meanwhile, I still can't watch most of Padmé and Anakin's scenes in AOTC. I will stop washing dishes, dry my hands, and fast forward to the next Obi-Wan scene rather than force my ears to endure that. Also not objective, but I find far fewer defenders of the AOTC "love story" than for the crank call.

I haven't watched AOTC in 10+ years and I gave it a shot last weekend, just to see if I had grown more forgiving of my all-time, least favorite (to put it kindly) SW film. Nope. I was ashamed to still own it. I love TLJ, and can't see how anyone would ever rank AOTC above it. The sonic charges are the only good thing about that crapfest. :lol

Thats because at its heart it isnt a Star Wars movie. It wasnt made to capture the imagination of as many people, especially Star Wars, fans as possible, it was made to cater to basically two people, Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. Say what you want about the PT but after nearly twenty years its still being talked about, I doubt the same will apply to TLJ.

Just to keep up the Resistance to people phrasing their subjective opinions as objective Truth™, this moviegoer did not "become resigned" to the yo-momma prank call. I, and the people I went with opening night, thought it was wonderful and in character both ways (Poe and Hux), and it still makes me laugh on repeated viewings. It is not objective cringe, even if some people don't like it or think it fits. I had more of a problem with Snoke slamming Hux around after losing the Dreadnought.

Meanwhile, I still can't watch most of Padmé and Anakin's scenes in AOTC. I will stop washing dishes, dry my hands, and fast forward to the next Obi-Wan scene rather than force my ears to endure that. Also not objective, but I find far fewer defenders of the AOTC "love story" than for the crank call.

Seriously, one of my favorite parts of TLJ is Hux getting thrown to the floor. Particularly when you learn that the stunt man's dedication to that scene, lead to him breaking his nose when his face hit the floor.:eek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back