Has anybody made Scotty's wrench (polarity tool) from TOS? Can someone make one?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been looking for one for years and I've certainly never seen one even showcased on the RPF. I would LOVE to get my mitts on one!
If anybody wants to, and has the means, start this project I can fund it.

Scotty's wrench.jpg

I've been looking for one for years and I've certainly never seen one even showcased on the RPF. I would LOVE to get my mitts on one!
If anybody wants to, and has the means, start this project I can fund it.

View attachment 420241
I can do it at Techshop -- the machining is pretty straightforward. But I'd need better reference pictures before I could commit, and at least approximate measurements. The jewel parts I'd cast probably in tinted clear epoxy, and those acrylic fins would be short work on the laser cutter.

I could create it in 3D first and get your approval before starting construction, but you'd have to cover my time for that.

If I can get a few people to commit who are interested I will pursue the possibility of doing a run.

Happy New Year, Funky. :cheers

I'm interested and would commit to a run... but I guess we'll need a few more than just the two of us to make it cost effective. :D

Happy New Year, Funky. :cheers

I'm interested and would commit to a run... but I guess we'll need a few more than just the two of us to make it cost effective. :D

Happy New Year to you as well!

I've been in contact with the maker of the last run and the first thing we need is a FIRM commitment of 20 units. I hate to say it but with this being such an obscure piece I don't think we'll get there.
For those that want to learn more about this awesome tool, watch the TOS episode, "That Which Survives". (season 3)

Scotty wrench.jpg

It wouldn't be as nice as having it in metal. But you could print it at Shapeways in plastic and then add the clear and red acrylic pieces.

You could print it in stainless steel. The original was probably aluminum so it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but it would look like a real tool. I've printed a ton of stuff in stainless steel from Shapeways... it's a God sent.

Happy New Year to you as well!

I've been in contact with the maker of the last run and the first thing we need is a FIRM commitment of 20 units. I hate to say it but with this being such an obscure piece I don't think we'll get there.

You've got 3 now. I'll be keeping my eye out for an interest thread in the Project Runs. I'm just an average trekie but I'll always remember my brother and I changing the polarity on a socket wrench with a metal sleeve from a salt shaker slid over the handle.

There might be more interest than you think and my brother, who's not a trek fan at all would flip if he saw me with one of those.

I'm the guy who built the above mag Probe. I was contacted by Funky Jedi and another collector to see if I could do another run. If there are enough of y'all to warrant the materials and shop time (rough estimated: about a dozen), I'd be glad, Those collectors interested, please let me know asap so I can make an accurate estimation of aluminum.

Here are my shots and videos:

Magnetic Probe.jpgu49622Survives03z219.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhkzSsGJ98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFFC3ySKg94

Cheers,
Gaston

Magnetic Probe.jpg

u49622Survives03z219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE #2

Hey guys, got your 2nd update here!

The prongs’ order is in the works. I’ve been told by the 3rd-party shop’s foreman he’s fallen behind, but ought to have them ready for pick-up Friday afternoon.

The aluminum bar was ordered and showed up ahead of schedule. A delay in hearing back from collectors put the order of aluminum bar on hold. A total of 8 buyers, who initially said they were “in", somehow found it in within themselves to let me know last week they were no longer interested. Let’s all give them a great big had, shall we?

End caps were machined yesterday evening. Check out the Youtube link for a short video of their job. Special thanks to Dave S. and Annie L. for the tunes… I was told that sometime this afternoon or tomorrow the handles should go into production (spot the prototype next to the caps), followed by the nub. If the shop’s schedule and mine mesh, I can spend some time and get photos of their birth.

Thanks for everyone’s patience and if you’ve got questions, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Gaston

<span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-family:century gothic;"><font size="5">

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one stylish update video! :thumbsup

Thanks for the news. Very pleased to see this moving forward now.

Looking forward to the next report. Nothing's more gratifying than the production of a good nub. :lol

I guess I need to build a Jeffries tube now to go with it!
Now where can I find the old sparklers fireworks to make for an authentic
emergency situation?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back