Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Amazing work. Out of curiosity, how many heads (hero, stunt, functional with inner jaws) did Gieger sculpt and was there any variation in them.

Amazing work. Out of curiosity, how many heads (hero, stunt, functional with inner jaws) did Gieger sculpt and was there any variation in them.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere there were 6 heads made for the first film :confused As far as I know Giger designed & sculpted 1 head which was used to create the rest via moulds & casting.
In all the ref pics I've collected the non moving head ( hero I believe) looked very similar to the stunt head. The Rambaldi (mechanised) head appears a little different. The skullface part, cheeks, the bottom jaw, lips & tendons all appear different. Makes it a bit more interesting trying to make this thing :)

I've ordered that pipe, should be here in a couple of days :)

Hey Leigh, you can add me to the unterest list as well, it's great!! I've been following this thread from the start and I am still amazed :)

Hey Leigh, you can add me to the unterest list as well, it's great!! I've been following this thread from the start and I am still amazed :)

Thank you :) I'll keep updating as I do stuff, I'm hoping to get stuck into it tomorrow :)

Keep coming back to this and I'm still blown away.The fact you were on the fence over the number of sections on a pipe shows your increadible dedication.... or complete insanity :lol.Love the work you are doing and bless your wife,she must be a saint!:angel:lol

Keep coming back to this and I'm still blown away.The fact you were on the fence over the number of sections on a pipe shows your increadible dedication.... or complete insanity :lol.Love the work you are doing and bless your wife,she must be a saint!:angel:lol

Thanks & yes She is the best a guy could ever wish for imo :) we're common law atm but one day I'd very much like to make it official :)

A small update:
181.jpg

184.jpg

You'll probably be hard pushed to see it :lol but I've put 5-6 hours into the jaw today. I've shaved about a quater of an inch off the bottom of the chin & about the same off both sides of the front, then re-shaped it all & carved/sanded the detail back into it adding a slight dimple on the chin.
I also took the tops off of the bumps either side at the rear of the jaw.

I'm texturing the jaw using Humbrol enamel matt paint applied with a bit of washing up sponge, I keep dabbing it untill its tacky & it leaves a nice textured finish.

Last edited:
Leigh,

I remember just staring at the Geiger artbooks, watching the behind the scenes on Alien and how they created the Alien. Your thread brought back all the enjoyment of those moments. Thank you.

You've done a magnificent job and that is an understatement. PLUS- I think the name of "Bob" the Alien is VERY appropriate seeing as Bob Burn's has the original Alien head in his collection.

Bob Burns Web Site Basement 1

Thanks for a great thread!

damn this is cool!

Thanks man :)

Leigh,

I remember just staring at the Geiger artbooks, watching the behind the scenes on Alien and how they created the Alien. Your thread brought back all the enjoyment of those moments. Thank you.

You've done a magnificent job and that is an understatement. PLUS- I think the name of "Bob" the Alien is VERY appropriate seeing as Bob Burn's has the original Alien head in his collection.

Bob Burns Web Site Basement 1

Thanks for a great thread!

Thanks for the kind words :) I'm pleased you've enjoyed the thread :)
The name Bob is definately going to stay now. I was thinking of changing it at one point but nothing else felt right :)

Love the changes. :)

Thats good news thanks :) I was a little unsure about the mods to the jaw :confused

That & Mr Nwerke's suggestion promoted me to also recede his gum in an effort to make his lower front teeth look longer:
185.jpg

Haven't over done it I hope :confused

Last edited:
As a dentist, I like the gum recession as well. :) Wow, all your changes are amazing. Just little things that push this sculpt over the edge!!!!

Dave

I don't like it as much now.

JUST KIDDING!!!

:lol

As a dentist, I like the gum recession as well. :) Wow, all your changes are amazing. Just little things that push this sculpt over the edge!!!!

Dave

To have two dentists approval is rewarding :) Thanks. Yeh their only subtle changes but they all add up :) Hopefully I can say the teeth/ mouth area is pretty much done now.

BTW if anyone wants to see a pic of something specific I haven't already shown please say & I'll see what I can do.

Thanks guys :)

PS I think when you have the lips and tendons in place you're going to stop worrying as much about the jaw. It's going to look *very* close to the real deal. Dug out my refs at last, including other fan sculpts, and this is way the best replica I've seen.

Did find a couple of things though! The two outermost incisor teeth on the upper jaw - their cutting edge actually slopes down/out slightly, towards the canines. The amount of slope varies a bit from prop to prop though. And I haven't yet found an original which had the eyesockets quite as 'angry' as yours. This varies too - some (stunt versions?) are outright 'sad' like many normal human skulls. Some have one of each! Bad casts or damage I guess.

Edit: gah - sorry - wrote this before seeing your post above. LOL.

PS I think when you have the lips and tendons in place you're going to stop worrying as much about the jaw. It's going to look *very* close to the real deal. Dug out my refs at last, including other fan sculpts, and this is way the best replica I've seen.

Did find a couple of things though! The two outermost incisor teeth on the upper jaw - their cutting edge actually slopes down/out slightly, towards the canines. The amount of slope varies a bit from prop to prop though. And I haven't yet found an original which had the eyesockets quite as 'angry' as yours. This varies too - some (stunt versions?) are outright 'sad' like many normal human skulls. Some have one of each! Bad casts or damage I guess.

Edit: gah - sorry - wrote this before seeing your post above. LOL.

I'll admit I used Sano's for refs on the top front teeth although looking at the remains of the Rambaldi head the 4 front teeth all look flat on the cutting edge but all together they do form an arch :confused . I've been thinking the same about the eye sockets, I think they may be a little big aswell I'll have to have a fiddle with those. I was looking at the bitd pic of the Rambaldi front on view & those sockets are completely different sizes & shape & of course that ones different to the stunt head aswell, it can make things difficult all these differences between the originals.

Yeh I'm looking forward to the lips n tendons stage of the game, I may have a pop at mocking something up just to see. Of course if someone wants to have a play with photo shop feel free ;)

Thanks for the tips Nwerke :thumbsup

Mind blowing accurate. Leigh, I´m sitting on hot coals to see this masterpiece finished.

But I hope it still takes some time that I can save up moneys (and convince wife and child for some new living room re-decoration)

Rock on!

Mind blowing accurate. Leigh, I´m sitting on hot coals to see this masterpiece finished.

But I hope it still takes some time that I can save up moneys (and convince wife and child for some new living room re-decoration)

Rock on!

I've seen your work whilst searching for reference for mine...very nice!! I like what your doing with the Alien 3 model, I haven't got a clue when it comes to 3d modeling :$.

Yours is very impressive :thumbsup

Little update

I took Nwerke's advise & re-shaped the fore head, brow, nose, eye sockets & I took a file to he's top front teeth. I'm really happy I did aswell :):
189.jpg

190.jpg

188.jpg

What do you think??

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back