The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!!

Here are a few more images That I could scrounge up.
27971578_10155096726260894_6419522587038341199_n.jpg

27867501_10155096726055894_7849078384667848819_n.jpg

27973111_10155096718465894_7165103867219241757_n.jpg

I have a friend who collects these side show pieces. I’m trying to explain the in accuracy’s with this Vader.

Anyone know or have a link to the supplier of the prowse mannequins?

Trying to put together a list of parts to see how much cheaper he could build one, and be much more accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who collects these side show pieces. I’m trying to explain the in accuracy’s with this Vader.

Anyone know or have a link to the supplier of the prowse mannequins?

Trying to put together a list of parts to see how much cheaper he could build one, and be much more accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you have to do is show a high end fan vader like mine or anyone here on the board or the Prop Den or the SLD and tell them what the individual had invested.

Im at $3,200. That includes the cost of a heavily modified mannequin.

All you have to do is show a high end fan vader like mine or anyone here on the board or the Prop Den or the SLD and tell them what the individual had invested.

Im at $3,200. That includes the cost of a heavily modified mannequin.

Do you have any links I can link him to?

I'm not going to argue whether this is overpriced or not, but as I've stated elsewhere in other threads, it's different strokes for different folks.

I've got a buddy who's a mega Star Wars fan; possibly even more so than I am, but for him, if it isn't licensed, he wants nothing to do with it. For him even though he'd probably never sell his stuff, it's about the 'investment' and re-sale value that a licensed product has and the rightly or wrongly perception that a commercially made product is a better 'quality' made product and more accurate than any fan can produce. And he's far from alone in these beliefs.

You look at any eFX or MR produced product on eBay and they go for thousands of dollars; not just asking price, but realized prices.

Take for a prime example the MR Obi Wan ANH weathered lightsaber. I used to own one and it's a great product. But it's inaccurate because when it was made, not all of the real parts were identified and they got some of it wrong. But the re-sale value for one of these beauties is about $1,500 - $2,500 depending on whether you have all of the 'accessories' - shipping box, plaque, etc.

Or you can get one from Roman that has all of the parts replicated faithfully from the original parts and in steel no less for about $500.

I wasn't the original owner of the MR Obi I sold and the previous owner had rubbed off the 'Lucasfilm' script on the hilt as an accuracy mod. Believe you me I had a heck of a time selling it on Rebelscum because without that TM Lucasfilm script, how would they know it wasn't a knockoff? Or worse yet, some fan made hilt?

For some collectors, it's not about accuracy and more about 'collectability'.

I daresay that if I was dumb enough to ever sell my SL Vader helmet, it probably wouldn't fetch as much on the aftermarket than an eFX Legend of even a Sideshow 1:1 bust.

But to each their own and there's nothing wrong with that....

I'm not going to argue whether this is overpriced or not, but as I've stated elsewhere in other threads, it's different strokes for different folks.

I've got a buddy who's a mega Star Wars fan; possibly even more so than I am, but for him, if it isn't licensed, he wants nothing to do with it. For him even though he'd probably never sell his stuff, it's about the 'investment' and re-sale value that a licensed product has and the rightly or wrongly perception that a commercially made product is a better 'quality' made product and more accurate than any fan can produce. And he's far from alone in these beliefs.

You look at any eFX or MR produced product on eBay and they go for thousands of dollars; not just asking price, but realized prices.

Take for a prime example the MR Obi Wan ANH weathered lightsaber. I used to own one and it's a great product. But it's inaccurate because when it was made, not all of the real parts were identified and they got some of it wrong. But the re-sale value for one of these beauties is about $1,500 - $2,500 depending on whether you have all of the 'accessories' - shipping box, plaque, etc.

Or you can get one from Roman that has all of the parts replicated faithfully from the original parts and in steel no less for about $500.

I wasn't the original owner of the MR Obi I sold and the previous owner had rubbed off the 'Lucasfilm' script on the hilt as an accuracy mod. Believe you me I had a heck of a time selling it on Rebelscum because without that TM Lucasfilm script, how would they know it wasn't a knockoff? Or worse yet, some fan made hilt?

I daresay that if I was dumb enough to ever sell my SL Vader helmet, it probably wouldn't fetch as much on the aftermarket than an eFX Legend of even a Sideshow 1:1 bust.

This is my friend, he also collects a lot of licensed stuff. I don’t see a problem with it, hell a lot of his stuff is love to own.

He’s a big master replica guy as well

From my eye sight I would like to own a Vader that’s more accurate, BUT I can also see it not bringing in as much money that is officially licensed, because a lot of people can’t tell or see the difference

He’s debating on what to do now, he’s moving to a larger house just to merge his two collections together.

The MR pieces are only so expensive because nothing like this is comming out these days.Anovos has no plaque,no real limitation,the shipping time is endless and the quality is also bad on some pieces.
And EFX..you all know it.No comment.
Sideshow?Look on the bad Vader and all their other SW pieces..nothing has the quality of the old MR pieces.
If a company would resale all the old MR stuff again,the prices would be low again in seconds.So the only reason why MR stuff is so expensive is,why its rare.
But its the same story like the old Kenner SW Toys...a story like this is very rare.So if you have a lot of MR stuff you are a happy guy if you look on the value of your collection.
And if not..also good.There is a lot better fanmadestuff out there.

Do you have any links I can link him to?

There are no links to the fan made stuff but you can direct him to forum.501stsithlords.com and that is where he will get all the information he needs to build a screen accurate Vader with twice the accuracy and a fraction of the cost. Most off these guys do not advertise or have their own websites. The quality sells their items.

Each to his own, but I am not a fan of that mind set. Why pay $9K for really half assed quality just because its licensed? To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment. A true fan should put quality into consideration which this sideshow piece does not have for their asking price. I would see this piece to fit the 1,000-3,000 dollar range.

Seriously 9K for pleather. That alone is absurd.

Each to his own, but I am not a fan of that mind set. Why pay $9K for really half assed quality just because its licensed? To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment. A true fan should put quality into consideration which this sideshow piece does not have for their asking price. I would see this piece to fit the 1,000-3,000 dollar range.

I hate to break it to you, but we're the niche market that prefers 'accurate' to licensed.

How many people paid $1,200 for a Prop Shop lightsaber when they could have bought a real vintage Graflex and parts from Roy and others and gotten an even more accurate hilt?

Why do people pay $2,500 for a life-sized Yoda statue from Sideshow when they can get a Cyberman one?

And I'd argue that some guy out there that's willing to drop $10k on a Star Wars statue is probably more of a 'true fan' than many of us are.... either that or a fool with lots of excess money to spend... either way, if it make he/she happy... ;)

To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment.

And? What is wrong with that? If that is what he likes, why not. You don´t understand him, i maybe don´t understand him, maybe noone here can understand him, but .....

With your argumentation he didn´t takes a rare part away from those that want accuracy. Those can still buy the accurate stuff, he is harming noone.

Im just looking at this piece as a good example that license pieces can be junk and I just dont understand why anybody would buy junk just to make money. Anybody is welcome to buy it but for investment but there are better options then Star Wars props.

Like I said each to their own. Im not putting them down for their own preferences, I just sometimes do not understand it. But that is with anything out there, we all will never understand one another to a full extent.

There are no links to the fan made stuff but you can direct him to forum.501stsithlords.com and that is where he will get all the information he needs to build a screen accurate Vader with twice the accuracy and a fraction of the cost. Most off these guys do not advertise or have their own websites. The quality sells their items.

Thank you

Exactly. Not sure how can someone consider this 9k statue an investment - there are way better options out therefor investing your hard earned cash than Star Wars collectibles. I get that it is licensed and (maybe!) limited, but in a few years there might be more Vader statues released by other companies, or even by Sideshow once again. And even if not, do you think people will line up to buy such an expensive statue? The $9000 statue needs to be sold to at least to get your money back, and then some more to barely consider it an "investment".

Sideshow was never known for accuracy, they were always known for "artistic interpretation", whatever that means. There are few Star Wars items made by them that are reasonably accurate, no matter scale. Many Star Wars (and Terminator, Predator, Alien, Trek etc.) collectors are also more interested in accuracy than comic collectors for example. Sideshow never cared about this fact too much

I guess I missed the part where the level of someone’s “passion” as a collector or a fan is determined by how much they know (or care) about the original items their collectibles are based upon.

I would imagine it’s possible to be a passionate stamp collector without knowing all too much about the history of what’s printed on the stamps. Or to be a model train collector without being able to give specifications about real-life locomotives. Undoubtedly there will be some overlap in interest in some cases, those who are interested in both the replica and in what is being replicated, but I think it’s possible to have a singular focus, too.

Probably safest to say: “I wouldn’t buy this,” and leave it to those who might. Different strokes, etc. 3 pages in, I think the point has been made, and if not I don’t think we’re getting any closer to making it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back