Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

What are the 2 holes in the stand for? Wall mounting, maybe? Don't remember seeing anything about them in the instructions.

The kit decals are good, however I have had at least three pull up and basically be destroyed after I blotted them after using Solvaset on them--maybe blotting Solvaset is a bad idea in general but just a word to the wise...

I used the Tamiya decal setter, Mark Fit Strong, and the instructions say to put some down before applying the decal, and then, when the decal is in place, carefully dab it a bit with a tissue or a Q-Tip to get the water and bubbles out from under it, and then drop a bit of the Mark Fit Strong on top of the decal and DON'T TOUCH IT until it is dry. It works well.

Sorta bad news today on my painting plans, I finally tried that old bottle of Floquil Reefer White I had sitting around for almost 10 years. Paint had shifted very yellow, almost a buttery cream! Here you can see it next to Bandai's bare plastic.

Now the good news: I got out my Tamiya acrylic XF-2 Flat White and XF-55 deck tan for a test. Did about a 4:1 mix white tan and I think it turned out about perfect. I also tested some Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White and it's pretty close to my mix.
91eb5e4c62603791e361546345b8f65a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorta bad news today on my painting plans, I finally tried that old bottle of Floquil Reefer White I had sitting around for almost 10 years. Paint had shifted very yellow, almost a buttery cream! /QUOTE]

Hey, that's exactly what happened to mine. So they do turn bad in the bottle over time. Can't be the original ILM color, right? I do see some photos where the studio model looks a little yellowish and I'm tempted to duplicate it but that's probably just the lighting because in other photos it looks like a concrete color with no trace of yellow. I did decant some AS-20 but I still want to order some Archive-X.

hey guys. What's the general opinion of using the "empty" windows (cockpit and gunner wells) vs. the clear parts?
I'm in the process of making paint masks for the clear part versions, but I know the frame only versions are more true to the filming miniature

hey guys. What's the general opinion of using the "empty" windows (cockpit and gunner wells) vs. the clear parts?
I'm in the process of making paint masks for the clear part versions, but I know the frame only versions are more true to the filming miniature

I suspect most of us are using the empty frames instead of the clear parts since that is more accurate to the studio model and allows for a better view of the cockpit details. However, I think Mark Myers is right in saying that the clear part looks better if the model is displayed in a landed configuration. It's counter-intuitive: If parked, glass on -- if flying, glass off.

Considering that this is so close to the studio model, I will probably do the empty window. But that is also because I don't like the clear plastic version that came with it. My skills arent good enough to do a proper job, even with your masking, (which I did use on my viper mk. 2)

If the clear plastic was separate form the frame, I could perhaps be convinced

When I'm building a model of a spaceship, I'm building a model of THE SHIP, not the filming miniature. Therefore, in my opinion, not having glass windows will sentence everyone in the cockpit to death as soon as she breaks the atmosphere. The windowless cockpit is a product of the filming miniature being unable to have glass because it would reflect the bluescreen. Therefore I see windowless cockpits as a serious error unless you are making a diorama of ILM's shooting stage.

Therefore I see windowless cockpits as a serious error unless you are making a diorama of ILM's shooting stage.

Well, I'm not making a diorama of the shooting stage, but I am modeling the studio model as it existed in 1976-77. I mean, as a point of friendly debate not argument, would modeling the 3-foot version also be an "error" since it was made to replicate the 5-footer at a smaller scale to be easier to shoot? Does it count as "the ship" or do we ignore that it exists? :cheers

Well, I'm not making a diorama of the shooting stage, but I am modeling the studio model as it existed in 1976-77. I mean, as a point of friendly debate not argument, would modeling the 3-foot version also be an "error" since it was made to replicate the 5-footer at a smaller scale to be easier to shoot? Does it count as "the ship" or do we ignore that it exists? :cheers

Because the Falcon has never been represented by one model, I consider the Millennium Falcon to have no true definitive representation. So I consider details on the Force Awakens/Last Jedi Falcon CG model to be just as valid as the 5ft model or the 32" model. The Refit Enterprise can be more or less definitive as it was only represented by one full size model and a few section models. Anyway, it's up to the moderler to have the model they like. If they want windowless cockpits, there's nothing wrong with that at all, it's just something I'm not looking to represent.

What I like is that since it is a Bandai kit, you can swap out the cockpit for which ever viewing mode you like, the gunner windows are more permanent. it looks like there are 2 sets of decals for the cockpit piece. they must have been planning for that

Because the Falcon has never been represented by one model, I consider the Millennium Falcon to have no true definitive representation.

I totally agree, which is why there's such a wide spectrum when it comes to modeling the Falcon. I made my Fine Molds a mash-up of every version knowing it's virtually impossible to get one that satisfies a true "on-screen" appearance. Since the Bandai is so accurate to the 1977 Falcon, however, I decided to draw the line as narrowly as I could -- all the way down to one specific shot (the Death Star back-up/spin/book-it shot).

I cut from the agonizing-about-the-base-coat-color stage to just weathering over the basic plastic color that Bandai gave us. The look pleases me. I went with the "no glass" look as having reflection in the glass is annoying when you try to photograph it. I am now in the applying-teensy-tiny-decals-all-over-the-ship stage. I will probably go blind soon ...

Sorta bad news today on my painting plans, I finally tried that old bottle of Floquil Reefer White I had sitting around for almost 10 years. Paint had shifted very yellow, almost a buttery cream! Here you can see it next to Bandai's bare plastic.

Now the good news: I got out my Tamiya acrylic XF-2 Flat White and XF-55 deck tan for a test. Did about a 4:1 mix white tan and I think it turned out about perfect. I also tested some Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White and it's pretty close to my mix.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171210/91eb5e4c62603791e361546345b8f65a.jpg

was the old bottle of Reefer White enamel or lacquer? They changed hues from Lacquer to enamel, saying that though the Archive-X Reefer white does have a yellowish tone to it, but like most of these tricky colours it changes in different light. Very difficult to colour match, you can kill a bit of that yellow with a dull coat. It’s a great shade

was the old bottle of Reefer White enamel or lacquer? They changed hues from Lacquer to enamel, saying that though the Archive-X Reefer white does have a yellowish tone to it, but like most of these tricky colours it changes in different light. Very difficult to colour match, you can kill a bit of that yellow with a dull coat. It’s a great shade
My Floquil bottle is an Enamel.

I agree some warm tone to the white is legit for the Falcon. I think I'm getting it with my Tamiya paint mix too, just let more subtle.

Per the Glass...no glass, Since the kit is/ was quite expensive, I am using EVERYTHING that came with it! And as Hunk a Junk said, She looks better to me with the glass When Landed! I carefully masked the glass and airbrushed the canopy. Then I dipped it in Future, Let it dry and the Glass looks amazing...almost as if there is no glass!

GLASS CANOPY...

And because it is a model of the beautiful 5' filming model, when in flight No Glass!!

I will be swapping out the kit's cockpit for Joec's Miniature cockpit as well...Don't argue guys... build!

Last edited:

Oh, yes, PLEASE make masks for this kit, Lou!!! And yes, please include the canopy! Many thanks in advance!

Yes please! I've actually been hoping that you would do these, Lou.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes please! I've actually been hoping that you would do these, Lou.

I will be swapping out the kit's cockpit for Joec's Miniature cockpit as well...Don't argue guys... build! And if Lou gets that masking for you, get it! It was a major pain getting that sharp cut!! I wish I waited for Lou's Masking set!

What is this swap-out you speak of?!?!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back