Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I find that amazing. Maybe I was too young (I saw ANH +ESB at a double feature in 1982 at age 6) but there was so little source material back then to recognize details. They played star wars like, once a year on tv. Although I was obsessed with it, I rarely got to see it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Since VCRs didn't even exist back then, my friends and I just collected everything. Clippings from magazines (Starlog was the go-to source), Topps cards, etc. The novelization mentioned a door on the cockpit and I thought, "There's no door that closes in the cockpit," but then I saw the movie and, boom, there was suddenly a door. I also remember a fierce "debate" (i.e. nerd fight) with my friends about how things like the door were evidence of TESB sucking. Seriously. It amuses me when people now talk about how TESB is universally hailed as "the best" when I remember a LOT of complaints and criticism at the time about how the movie was not as good as ANH. Had there been a RedLetter Media back at the time, you can bet they would've made a snarky video complaining about the film's "flaws." The door was one of those nitpicky things some of my friends considered a continuity error because "it wasn't in the first movie!!!" :rolleyes:lol

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that a torture robot?

It tortures you to death with typos! :lol

Basically, like a bunch of us here, this is the Falcon I dreamt of as a kid in the 70s. So dammit I'm going all out.

I'm all for it! I've also added the sidewall support holes. My goal is making it look as close to the 1976 filmming miniature as possible. Closed ramp and landing gear. Swappable original cockpit (using JoeCSs printed version) with the ANH cockpit behind it. No gunport interiors.

Just finished mine, and thanks Jaitea for posting my work I’ve finally managed to post some pics on here via my phone. Some great work on here already :)

Attachments

• 4A0AFF68-DE05-46EC-9965-31C5518F5E29.jpeg
    4A0AFF68-DE05-46EC-9965-31C5518F5E29.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 327
  • 920C431E-3FEB-4B8E-A733-1E6A67980B3B.jpeg
    920C431E-3FEB-4B8E-A733-1E6A67980B3B.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 282
  • F52E8A22-561A-4525-AE72-F57F2F15C046.jpeg
    F52E8A22-561A-4525-AE72-F57F2F15C046.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 47BC83CD-454C-4EF8-BEB6-CC936E7E1CC3.jpeg
    47BC83CD-454C-4EF8-BEB6-CC936E7E1CC3.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 269
  • C11221C1-6A71-4C6F-A1D3-3ECBE6BC5D8D.jpeg
    C11221C1-6A71-4C6F-A1D3-3ECBE6BC5D8D.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 273
  • F8FA3428-FE9E-4D54-AE79-F18A289D5C1F.jpeg
    F8FA3428-FE9E-4D54-AE79-F18A289D5C1F.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 270

Just finished mine, and thanks Jaitea for posting my work I’ve finally managed to post some pics on here via my phone. Some great work on here already :)
Wow, those photos can stand in for the real thing. Can't believe I'm not looking at the ILM studio model. How much practice does one need to achieve that? Wish there was a step by step 5-footer painting for dummies somewhere. Those engine fan grilles alone -- wow. Jaw-dropping work all around!

Since VCRs didn't even exist back then, my friends and I just collected everything. Clippings from magazines (Starlog was the go-to source), Topps cards, etc. The novelization mentioned a door on the cockpit and I thought, "There's no door that closes in the cockpit," but then I saw the movie and, boom, there was suddenly a door. I also remember a fierce "debate" (i.e. nerd fight) with my friends about how things like the door were evidence of TESB sucking. Seriously. It amuses me when people now talk about how TESB is universally hailed as "the best" when I remember a LOT of complaints and criticism at the time about how the movie was not as good as ANH. Had there been a RedLetter Media back at the time, you can bet they would've made a snarky video complaining about the film's "flaws." The door was one of those nitpicky things some of my friends considered a continuity error because "it wasn't in the first movie!!!" :rolleyes:lol

- - - Updated - - -

It tortures you to death with typos! :lol
I totally get that. I looked at the x-wing on my lunch box for HOURS. It's amazing that it was such a dark period for source pics.

As for preference, ESB was always my favorite as a little kid. Mostly because I was such a northern ontario kid who was addicted to snowmobiling. And Hoth was easily my favorite planet

- - - Updated - - -

I really appreciate the work you did on the front saucer scar. More often than not, people make that way too heavy handed.

I need to stop looking at other people's awesome paint jobs or I'll just put mine on a shelf, curl up into ball, and obsess about my inadequacies even more than I already do!

I need to stop looking at other people's awesome paint jobs or I'll just put mine on a shelf, curl up into ball, and obsess about my inadequacies even more than I already do!

The Falcon paint job isn't hard, you just have to think about it by breaking it down into its pieces. Looking at something complex as an overall task can seem daunting, but breaking it down into smaller chunks reveals it's doable. Perhaps I'll make a video series on weathering it. Hmm...

Last edited:

To me, it's all in the subtleties. It's easy to know which panels are gray and which are red, or where to put an oil streak vs. a rust streak. My greatest fear is the Miarecki Effect -- having good intentions, but going way too far and making it look like a painted-up Ho. Gotta keep reminding myself to build up slow, keep things lighter rather than darker, and keep stepping back to see how things look in relation to each other.

To me, it's all in the subtleties. It's easy to know which panels are gray and which are red, or where to put an oil streak vs. a rust streak. My greatest fear is the Miarecki Effect -- having good intentions, but going way too far and making it look like a painted-up Ho. Gotta keep reminding myself to build up slow, keep things lighter rather than darker, and keep stepping back to see how things look in relation to each other.

The trick to that is two fold...

1. Constantly checking your work against photograph reference. Don't just go by what you think it should look like in your brain. Your brain is often wrong about this because it reduces complexity. Reference is god.

2. Just do little parts at a time. We get excited and want to finish a model and behold its glory, but a rush job is a sloppy job. Do only 1 or 2 weathering steps per day, and come back and look at your work after 24 hours. It gives you a fresh perspective and you have a better thought about when to stop.

I just assumed the door was left open in ANH.

Boy, do I know THAT feeling! ;-@

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just assumed the door was left open in ANH.

We all draw the line somewhere. Was the door really there? Were the engine grills really there? Is the 3-foot a "stunt" Falcon? :cheers Speaking of the grills, are you still planning to ditch them for a translucent plastic strip? I've started looking around, but can't decide if I want to go with frosted clear plastic or a thin white strip of styrene.

It would be nice to find a source for that milk glass for a real ILM-prop look. It looks more bluish-white and glossy than frosted.

It would be nice to find a source for that milk glass for a real ILM-prop look. It looks more bluish-white and glossy than frosted.

This. I wonder what ILM's source was back in the day. It couldn't have been anything off the shelf unless it had the exact right curve and length. It would be a kick to use real milk glass, but I think replicating something in plastic is likely the way I'll go.

We all draw the line somewhere. Was the door really there? Were the engine grills really there? Is the 3-foot a "stunt" Falcon? :cheers Speaking of the grills, are you still planning to ditch them for a translucent plastic strip? I've started looking around, but can't decide if I want to go with frosted clear plastic or a thin white strip of styrene.

Definitely. The solid light strip was such a big part of the Falcon's appearance for me, it set it apart from the other ships that just had big rocket engines. I'm going for a dull medium gray appearance when off but bright solid white light when on. I'm looking for some thin gray light diffuser sheet material, if it's shiny I'll just dull coat it, it should still pass light OK.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back