Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm trying to replicate exactly how the 5ft filming model looks, so that includes the bent hull plating and lifting access holes. I actually inserted some brass tubing to give it a more functional appearance. Of course, they will be painted. What's funny is that they are actually function.
20171114_081534.jpg

I'm trying to replicate exactly how the 5ft filming model looks, so that includes the bent hull plating and lifting access holes. I actually inserted some brass tubing to give it a more functional appearance. Of course, they will be painted. What's funny is that they are actually function.
View attachment 773334

How do you recommend bending the hull plating without accidentally snapping it off?

I Just started painting the cockpit and turrets,SOOOOOOO many buttons to paint. Im looking forward to doing the exterior parts.

Does anyone have a link or pictures for all the walls inside the turrets and a good pic of the cockpit console? Im struggling to find decent shots :(

View attachment 773334

I'm doing this too. High five! From this screen shot, it looks like the hole just aft of the cockpit tube may have some sort of red plug covering it. Or maybe the threaded brass tube is reading reddish on film. The hole on the panel closer to the engine looks blue in one frame, but black in another. Hard to tell.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10934.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10935.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10937.jpg
Stb mounting hole.jpg

I'm doing this too. High five! From this screen shot, it looks like the hole just aft of the cockpit tube may have some sort of red plug covering it. Or maybe the threaded brass tube is reading reddish on film. The hole on the panel closer to the engine looks blue in one frame, but black in another. Hard to tell.
View attachment 773387View attachment 773388View attachment 773389
View attachment 773390
Wouldn't it be classic if someone stuck their gum in there and it made it into the film.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How do you recommend bending the hull plating without accidentally snapping it off?
I used a small pair of needle nose pliers. Heated the pliers with my stove top and bended slowly. Just practice on something to get the duration of heating right. You don't want to melt right through your falcon. I also sanded off the ribbed surface of the pliers smooth so I didn't leave texture marks on the plastic.

Note, that I didn't use the pliers to bend the extremely buckled piece just behind the docking ring. For that I used a separate sheet of styrene, heated it over the stove top and bent to shape. I then grafted the piece onto the existing armor. The falcon armor was too thick in this section to bend that extremely, plus this way it has the look of the multiple layers used on the actual model.

The modeling gods smiled upon me tonight. While sorting thru some old paints, I found this!

The paint is settled in the jar and thick as sludge, but I think I can salvage it. I added some thinner and stirred than shake it for a bit. We have the technology, we can save it!
b23db33d0436bdba79620b5d5d616de0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Repainted the cockpit because it was far too dark originally--almost black (the back wall actually is black, but the rest of the cockpit is a dark gray)

20171120_231443[20634].jpg

I'm currently working on finishing up the last few graphics. A note to those who would like to do this modification: do not fully assemble Bandai's cockpit interior and cockpit tunnel, or at least do not have it all glued together and impossible to take apart--to have this studio model interior and the set interior easily interchangeable, the set interior will need to be cut in half (as in the section with the back seats is separate from the section with the front seats). It is a fairly harmless modification that I will be discussing in the near future for those who are interested.

I'm holding off on the cockpit section of my build for now for precisely this reason. It looks awesome! Definitely interested in a set if/when you make them available, Joe.

According the the tracking, mine has been in my city for almost a week. I've checked the mail 5 times a day

I'm at the point where I'm now building this in my mind....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ah man!!!!

I just checked the tracking. It was processed through a facility here in Toronto last Friday.

But it just updated to say that it's back in Miami!!!!! WTH????

Ah man!!!!

I just checked the tracking. It was processed through a facility here in Toronto last Friday.

But it just updated to say that it's back in Miami!!!!! WTH?

Could that be some typo? Couldn't be a case of "return-to-sender" because CultTVman is in Georgia.

Could that be some typo? Couldn't be a case of "return-to-sender" because CultTVman is in Georgia.

I don't know. It's been in toronto for almost a week now. And according to this, it's following the breadcrumbs back home...

LocationDescriptionDate / Time
LAWRENCEVILLE
GA, 30044
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting ItemNovember 12, 2017 - 5:00 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance PendingNovember 13, 2017 - 6:27 pm
MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTERArrived at USPS Regional FacilityNovember 15, 2017 - 2:10 pm
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)Arrived at FacilityNovember 15, 2017 - 3:17 pm
Processed Through FacilityNovember 15, 2017 - 3:21 pm
MIAMI
UNITED STATES
ArrivedNovember 15, 2017 - 4:10 pm
WEST PALM BEACH
UNITED STATES
DepartedNovember 15, 2017 - 9:37 pm
LOUISVILLE
UNITED STATES
DepartedNovember 15, 2017 - 11:55 pm
CANADACustoms ClearanceNovember 16, 2017 - 1:57 am
TORONTO
CANADA
DepartedNovember 16, 2017 - 10:28 am
CANADAProcessed Through FacilityNovember 16, 2017 - 9:57 pm
MIAMI
UNITED STATES
DepartedNovember 22, 2017 - 5:30 pm
WEST PALM BEACH
UNITED STATES
DepartedNovember 22, 2017 - 9:05 pm

At this point, I'm breaking out my fine molds falcon just so I can start thinking about it all

Ah man!!!!

But it just updated to say that it's back in Miami!!!!! WTH????

I've had packages that have done the same. It looks like it's going back to where it came from then all of a sudden it shows up at my door. Its happened on more than one occasion too.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back