Fallout 4

An interesting read, indeed.

Honestly, I've never perceived the texture to look like denim. I'm wondering if this was something corrected with the Hi Res textures? (never got to play with them) I'm seeing a lot of pics on Google that do in fact look like demin seams, and they look a lot sharper in detail.

I guess my biggest misconception is that the original suits from F1 & 2 appear to be a tight leather, as you mentioned in your blog. I've never read anywhere that the "Fallout 1" suits and the "Fallout 3" suits were different, so just assumed it was leather. And like you mentioned earlier, lots of people have made that connection as well.

In NV, the girl in the vault hotel inside NV makes a comment that they are leather. If your speech skill is high enough your character says something about shining the leather by rubbing it or something. I'm not sure leather would be the best material to use unless they have cows down in those vaults to make more with.

There's an interesting theory rolling around that I actually quite like. The vault dweller you play actually comes from the pre-war era and the opening moments of the game (post character creation if there is one) takes place before the bombs fell. Some details that support this. The trailer has been boasted by Bethesda as using in-game graphics. If this is true, than everything we see pre-war are actual in-game assets. And any Fallout fan out there would know that every vault has a different purpose in experimenting on how humanity would cope with post-war scenarios. Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.

I would love that. Everything is amazing and everyone is living out the American dream, then panic and chaos. I really want to look around the pre-war house and neighbourhood.

There's an interesting theory rolling around that I actually quite like. The vault dweller you play actually comes from the pre-war era and the opening moments of the game (post character creation if there is one) takes place before the bombs fell. Some details that support this. The trailer has been boasted by Bethesda as using in-game graphics. If this is true, than everything we see pre-war are actual in-game assets. And any Fallout fan out there would know that every vault has a different purpose in experimenting on how humanity would cope with post-war scenarios. Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.

I agree, it's not the first time cryogenics would be brought into Fallout as the cut out F2 EPA facility let you thaw out one of several NPC characters. While I doubt they'd do it is that the baby you see at the start is the vault dweller and that he/she was thawed and raised inside the vault. I mean even in Fallout 3 those people on Tranquility Lane seemed to be in a form of stasis to keep their bodies alive. Not to mention the freaky ass experiments that Vault-Tech was into. I did just realize that the Vault Dweller's voice in the trailer is Ron Pearlman but IMDB has no info. Ugh this makes me want to restart my civil defense collection lol

My first exposure to Fallout was with 3. I've got 1 and 2 on the PC now (picked up on GOG a while back during a sale or something), but haven't gone to play them yet. Kinda wonder if I'll have the patience to deal with old school games I've never played. Tempted to just read a wiki on the events of those games, not that it looks like there's really a story thread to follow from game to game.

My first exposure to Fallout was with 3. I've got 1 and 2 on the PC now (picked up on GOG a while back during a sale or something), but haven't gone to play them yet. Kinda wonder if I'll have the patience to deal with old school games I've never played. Tempted to just read a wiki on the events of those games, not that it looks like there's really a story thread to follow from game to game.

I'd recommend the first one for sure. :thumbsup

Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.

Strictly speaking, Fallout 3 explored this concept already with Vault 112. The inhabitants were all frozen cryogenically and kept in a virtual reality simulation, the characters that you meet when you travel to the vault are all "pre-war" civilians kept alive in stasis.

So do you think the PC will speak this time? After playing Mass Effect, the mute protagonist seems old fashioned. If that is Ron Pearlman, it'd be great to have hime voice your male character. And get somebody equally talented for the female (but not Jen Hale - she's Shep).

The PC at the end sounds like Troy Baker. Ron Perlman is the one doing the narration on the radio and there are rumors that he has his own character.

Strictly speaking, Fallout 3 explored this concept already with Vault 112. The inhabitants were all frozen cryogenically and kept in a virtual reality simulation, the characters that you meet when you travel to the vault are all "pre-war" civilians kept alive in stasis.

True, but the concept was played out more of an obstacle in the middle of game rather than an over-arching storyline. No one from 112 ever leaves the vault and it's pretty much forgotten about after you free your Dad from the simulation. Playing a character who looks to have lived a real PRE-WAR LIFE and being thrown into a post-war world would still make a very unique Fallout story. Even Mothership Zeta had pre-war characters from waking up from Cryo, but like Vault 112, it's just an obstacle that's forgotten about once you're done with it.

So do you think the PC will speak this time? After playing Mass Effect, the mute protagonist seems old fashioned. If that is Ron Pearlman, it'd be great to have hime voice your male character. And get somebody equally talented for the female (but not Jen Hale - she's Shep).

I don't think having Ron Perlman voice the male protagonist would be a good idea. He's too much of a staple in the Fallout franchise that any other actor or actress chosen for the player character voice would be greatly overshadowed by him. It just wouldn't be fair.

I think they probably just had Pearlman do the trailer since he was already there recording stuff. I wonder what other celebs they'll get though. Fallout 3 had Liam Neeson and Malcolm McDowell and New Vegas had a few stars in it too. Wish they could get some of the actors from the original 2 games back for parts. Be amusing to find a roaming Junktown vendor who is related to Killian and voiced by Richard Dean Anderson or another BOS soldier voiced by Richard Moll.

The PC at the end sounds like Troy Baker. Ron Perlman is the one doing the narration on the radio and there are rumors that he has his own character.

My mistake. Regardless, I really do hope they add a voice to your character.

There is a scene in the vertibird, where you see a power armour from behind that sort of looks like the T-51b, especially the double shoulder bells. It may just be the updated T-45d though.

After watching the trailer several times, I think you're right. Looks very much like T-51b armor. Not just the shoulder bells, but the side of the helmet, too.

I know this is going to be an unpopular sentiment but, gosh, I hope that this game does not have all of the factions and weapons modifier attributes that were introduced with New Vegas. Fallout 3 was the first game I played in this series and it is probably my favorite game of all-time. While it had an amazing amount of depth, it's still retained a bit of simplicity as far as actual gameplay, and I really did not enjoy New Vegas because of all of the additional factions and similar mechanics. - if I wanted that much complexity, I'd buy a couple of d20, a sheaf of paper and a scientific calculator and play Advanced D&D.

But I know that many other people liked them as they hearkened back to the earlier Fallout games, so I assume they will be back in the new one.

M

I just noticed a few things: 1) bethesda actually took the time to make the leaves on the trees fall colored to match the time of year in the flashback, for a trailer most companies would have fudged it. 2) in the flashback there's a book on the nursery floor that looks a lot like the book you use to set up your character in Fallout 3. Probably just an easter egg like the comic books/magazines next to the armor in the garage.

That was the same thing I did. I didn't like RPGs for some reason until I played KOTOR so I missed the first two games. I played Fallout 3 then went back and played the first two. They definitely hold up really well, so I would go play them ASAP. I liked Fallout 2 better than 1 I think.

I rather play old turnbased RPGs over most of what's out these days classified as RPGs. I just found out that the new turn based x-com game was announced on the 2nd and got lost in the Fallout 4 news online.

But I know that many other people liked them as they hearkened back to the earlier Fallout games, so I assume they will be back in the new one.

Not to sound like a broken record, but Fallout: New Vegas was created by Obsidian, a completely different studio. It feels different because it is.

Fallout 4 will be the first game in the franchise that Bethesda has worked on since 2008. It will probably be more like 3 than NV.

Last edited:
Another reason NV felt a bit like the originals is some of the Obsidian staff worked for Interplay back then so that always helps lol.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back