Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

A screenplay is a film script stripped down to what should be portrayed on film....
A screenplay and a film script are the same thing. I'm guessing you meant to say that a screenplay can be based on a novel. Which in essence is a "stripped down (version of the novel) to what should be portrayed on film".

Last edited:
Novels and screenplays are very different animals. Some prose writers can shift to any format, others struggle with it. I personally think the EU novels rarely worked. SW was designed with a filmic narrative in mind. They are broad sweeping myths. For me, putting them into the shape and structure of a novel takes away half of what Star Wars is.

But if they work for some people, great. Enjoy!

If we’re going to hand movies to people working outside of the films, Dave Filoni as far more qualified than any EU novelist.

No, he didn't. He copied it like Trelane copied Earth, all of the forms but none of the substance.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

Novels and screenplays are very different animals. Some prose writers can shift to any format, others struggle with it. I personally think the EU novels rarely worked. SW was designed with a filmic narrative in mind. They are broad sweeping myths. For me, putting them into the shape and structure of a novel takes away half of what Star Wars is.
Cannot agree more. All novelizations were just a chore really to me. That applies to movie novelizations in general, but Star Wars ones in particular. The only exception is ROTS where the novelization was able to give more depth to the characters and the situations and that's coming from someone who pretty much disregards the PT.

I have a short list of the ones I go back to to re-read again and again. Brian Daley's Han Solo adventures, Tatooine Ghost, Karen Traviss' three Legacy of the Force books. There are a few of the newer ones I can already feel the itch to pull out again -- Kenobi, Phasma, Bloodline, the Aftermath trilogy, Lost Stars... I liked Admiral Daala, more after the "fix" in Darksaber, but apart from Planet of Twilight and LOTF: Revelation the books she was in were a waste of the character. I liked the X-Wing books a lot, and have re-read them several times, but more in spite of the main character than because of him, I found the Thrawn trilogy a chore to get through, despite some good moments. And the less said about The Crystal Star and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy the better.

So with the Prequels and Sequels and Rogue One and Solo I was already well-primed to pick out the bits I liked and semi-forget the rest. ;)

And this isn't getting into the comics, which already have a jump on the novels, being visual in their storytelling, like the films.

So where do we go from here? Another reluctant hero? Another "quest"? Saving who or what? If they want to do those "stand alone movies" (like Obi-Wan for example), what else could they add to the story since it seems to me that they did the whole 180 on that one already...right?

Eh, fine by me. Boba Fett was really cool, he had a great part in the films, but if I have the choice of seeing other Mandalorians get expanded upon, or watching Boba Fett murder his way through the universe, I pick the former.

The only disappointing thing to me about this is that I thought that Solo set up a pretty awesome foundation for exploring a whole side of the galaxy we never saw: the criminal underworld and its connection with the larger political and military struggle. Crimson Dawn could make for great villains, and provide an opportunity for really interesting stories involving characters like Solo, Kenobi, and others in that time frame, including people we hadn't even met yet. I still think they could do it, but I guess everyone's waiting to see what happens with Ep. IX and whatever else is still on the table.

The only disappointing thing to me about this is that I thought that Solo set up a pretty awesome foundation for exploring a whole side of the galaxy we never saw: the criminal underworld and its connection with the larger political and military struggle. Crimson Dawn could make for great villains, and provide an opportunity for really interesting stories involving characters like Solo, Kenobi, and others in that time frame, including people we hadn't even met yet. I still think they could do it, but I guess everyone's waiting to see what happens with Ep. IX and whatever else is still on the table.

That could still be the case. Crimson Dawn and the other criminal underworld elements could easily show up and play a role in The Mandalorian, I'd honestly be surprised if the show never had criminal organizations play a role in the story.

That could still be the case. Crimson Dawn and the other criminal underworld elements could easily show up and play a role in The Mandalorian, I'd honestly be surprised if the show never had criminal organizations play a role in the story.

I hope you're right! And to be honest, I actually prefer television as a storytelling medium these days anyway. Movies can be great, but I prefer the longer form narrative that television offers.

Translation: We couldn't figure out what to do with Boba Fett so we are giving you a generic Mandalorian, set in a time when they are pacifists. You're welcome.

I’m kinda done with Star Wars anyway. It’s like Star Trek Discovery on CBS all access, I’m certainly not paying to watch something I’ll be disappointed in.

From multi billion dollar returns to running to the shelter of television in just a few short years, things are going really great.:lol

Actually, the Mandalorian seems to stem from the proposed LFL set of television shows that were on the table back around 2006.

Can of worms, Ive stated in the past that a handful of different preliminary TV pilots were shot around LA with one being a bounty hunter in a cantina setting. I was aware of three separate preliminary pilots being shot while someone else informed me there were actually five while doing work on Crystal Skull. Go back to the talk of 100 TV episodes and break that into 20 separate episodes per series. Others here may know Jet Beetle was called in about being a ghost writer on the projects. If I recall he passed as he needed credit at the time more than a pay check among other creative reasons.

Actually, the Mandalorian seems to stem from the proposed LFL set of television shows that were on the table back around 2006.

Can of worms, Ive stated in the past that a handful of different preliminary TV pilots were shot around LA with one being a bounty hunter in a cantina setting. I was aware of three separate preliminary pilots being shot while someone else informed me there were actually five while doing work on Crystal Skull. Go back to the talk of 100 TV episodes and break that into 20 separate episodes per series. Others here may know Jet Beetle was called in about being a ghost writer on the projects. If I recall he passed as he needed credit at the time more than a pay check among other creative reasons.

Back in early 2011 Paul and I had a long phone conversation about it. Must have spent 4 hours on the phone with him that day. At the time he was telling me that Lucas film were in negotiations with Paramount pictures to do a Star Wars, Star Trek crossover film. It was going to be with the new JJ Abrams universe, and set during the rule of Darth Vader before episode four.

The premise was that Scotty was working on an experimental warp drive, which hurtled the enterprise into the galaxy far far away.

He went into a lot more detail about the story, and it sounded like it would’ve been pretty good. I remember telling him that the biggest thing that movie would accomplish, was that the Star Wars versus Star Trek nerds could finally sit down at the table and draft a peace treaty! LOL.

Man I miss Paul! I may have to call Julia and checking in the see how she and the kids are doing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back