Darth Vader reveal helmet

Things to consider when buying a helmet
Ask yourself do I want screen accurate ( expensive and time consuming) or do I want it to look good on my shelf ( cheaper and faster )

That’s a nice helmet but what you have to consider is the cost.

You need to ask yourself “ what can I afford “ when you have a figure in mind you need to put that amount of money to one side, keep it there and don’t spend it,
the next step is to search for a helmet in your price range, when your looking for your helmet you also need to consider how much work is involved in turning an already finished helmet into a reveal helmet, the helmet you’ve seen is fibre glass so it’s easily cut and chopped and added to, its paint finish is automotive paint so it can be rubbed down and repainted, if that’s your helmet of choice then go for it if you can afford it

you need to have at least 5 options of helmet all variety of prices and finishes, looking at raw cast helmets gives you more freedom to do what you need to do without worrying about damaging any painted finish you have on it, also raw cast helmets are cheaper than a finished one, also you can find raw cast helmets with flaws in them that are cheaper and will give you the opportunity to fix it while your making your reveal

have you looked at the black series Darth Vader Reveal helmets on eBay ?

Last edited:
Shadow FX is pretty Infamous amongst experienced Vader costumers. He recasts other people's helmets, and he has had to change his eBay ID three or four times because of his questionable business practices.

I don't know all the specifics. I just know that very few guys on this Sith Lord Forum will do business with him. He likes to try and get people to pay for his products outside of eBay, and then you lose your buyer protection if the sale falls through.

I think copys of real ones are the best option.I use them on my mask.

@frogfreak:That are copys of the real ones from what I can see.But a lot too expensive.I can make you a resinset cheaper if you want.You must always paint the copys(metal or resin)because you can never match the color of the real ones with another material.

Would it be possible to cast the expanders in metal or would it ruin the molds? Question is the same for the keys and dynodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I don't know about you but at first I was thinking a jmc helmet but I found a more accurate helmet! A shadow fx studios helmet but unfortunately it's very expensive. here is the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vade...h=item4b51b38110:g:PgcAAOSw1iVbu4oZ:rk:1:pf:0

Thats the SPFX helmet and armor.From what I know its a recast and the helmet is too small in overall size.Why don´t you start from an EFX PCR helmet if you don´t have so much money?Its not perfect but has a lineage to the screenused ANH helmet.And because its thin plastic its very easy to work with.I have one and love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be possible to cast the expanders in metal or would it ruin the molds? Question is the same for the keys and dynodes.

To cast the in dynodes metal would cost more money as to buy an electron tube on ebay.:lol

Thats the SPFX helmet and armor.From what I know its a recast and the helmet is too small in overall size.Why don´t you start from an EFX PCR helmet if you don´t have so much money?Its not perfect but has a lineage to the screenused ANH helmet.And because its thin plastic its very easy to work with.I have one and love it.
That wouldn't work I need to have rotj because even if I tried to resculpt the face a bit to make it rotj the whole thing would look off.

The only thing you need to change on the EFX mask to make it rotj is the widow's peak on the Dome. They used the same molds for all three movies. There's no difference between the face masks except for the aluminum tusks and the size of the chin vent which can easily be enlarged. If you are planning on taking a full Darth Vader mask, and chopping it up for a reveal helmet, you're going to have to have some serious skills when it comes to cutting up masks and reworking them. It's a challenge that most casual prop makers probably shouldn't attempt.

The only thing you need to change on the EFX mask to make it rotj is the widow's peak on the Dome. They used the same molds for all three movies. There's no difference between the face masks except for the aluminum tusks and the size of the chin vent which can easily be enlarged. If you are planning on taking a full Darth Vader mask, and chopping it up for a reveal helmet, you're going to have to have some serious skills when it comes to cutting up masks and reworking them. It's a challenge that most casual prop makers probably shouldn't attempt.

Thank you i might try that.

no it's not really, how can you imagine that a metal helmet would sell for 579USD? no mass produced helmets were ever metal, it would cost a real fortune.

That wouldn't work I need to have rotj because even if I tried to resculpt the face a bit to make it rotj the whole thing would look off.

Every vadermask based on the UK mold.And that is the ANH facemask.All you need is to cut the lower vent bigger.The EFX is very smooth and has not the original sidetubes...but I think for a Reveal its ok,because you must mold new tubes on the mask later.
Its like "Brothervader"said...this project is really not so easy..if you cut the mask wrong your facemask its ruined.And you need really serious skills to rework all the stuff on and in the mold.I think for you its better to practise this on a very cheap mask first before you cut an expensive cast.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back