Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

@Birdie In Johnsons own words he aims to have half his audience like his movie and half to hate it,

Can you link that quote, googled it and couldn't find it? Is that something he said on Twitter?

It`s from a You Tube video of him speaking made about ten years ago, its been posted a couple of times especially in TLJ thread, will try and track it down for you.

Yeah right, the person who has more staged personal photo shoots that any other Studio President in history is busy at work and cant make a comment while the Star Wars universe is burning. Sure thing.
I find this rationale bizarre. In the absence of an official report you assume that radio silence bolsters your argument. What will it take? A personalized memo from her desk stating that she's busy at work?
I dunno man. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Sometimes the use of drama from defenders of TLJ far outstrips what was seen in the movie.

Birdie, Here it is. I`ll give him the credit he deserves though, he managed to subvert even his own expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hhaahahahahahahahahhahahahaahhsahahhahahah...............that's a reach if I ever saw one.

He's basically saying that he wants to stir strong emotions in viewers. Normally I would say that it's disengenous to pull up a quote from a ten year old interview, but it does seem to be pertinent to TLJ. I thought that Brick and Looper were both pretty strong movies (haven't seen Bothers Bloom), but he was the wrong pick for Star Wars, as were Lord & Miller and Trevorrow. Which comes back to Kennedy...

Edit: I understand most of the issues with TLJ, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I'm genuinely mystified with the hatred of the milking scene. A man's gotta drink!

I think that clip speaks to his desire to make something more than a Hollywood factory issue summer blockbuster, rather than something that's fine, good even, but utterly forgettable in 3-5 years. That's an artistic desire I can respect, even if I don't always like the outcome. Brick, for example, didn't click with me.

He's basically saying that he wants to stir strong emotions in viewers. Normally I would say that it's disengenous to pull up a quote from a ten year old interview, but it does seem to be pertinent to TLJ. I thought that Brick and Looper were both pretty strong movies (haven't seen Bothers Bloom), but he was the wrong pick for Star Wars, as were Lord & Miller and Trevorrow. Which comes back to Kennedy...

Edit: I understand most of the issues with TLJ, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I'm genuinely mystified with the hatred of the milking scene. A man's gotta drink!

I think his version of strong emotions in viewers is division. You only have to look at his continual, unprecedented performances on Twitter to see that`s his shtick. Yes ,he was totally the wrong pick for a Star Wars movie, without Bruce Willis I doubt Looper would have raised a blip on the radar. Your right about using an old video of him generally being disingenuous but when his latest effort underlines those comments in spades then it is more than appropriate.

On the milking scene, was it really necessary or did it add anything to the story apart from an eternity of derision? I was unfortunate enough to see the movie twice and on neither occasion was it at all well received by the audience. Comedy is obviously not his thing, as displayed many times in TLJ.

Last edited:

That's not correct either. If Mace kills him and then says "i killed him, now I get to rule the galaxy" then, yes, he becomes what he's been fighting against. If he kills him and then admits it and lets the council do what they have to, he does not.

For humor, what happens if he defeats him and captures him. You really think they tie him up in that thing Obi wan was in in ATOC for eternity? He clearly doesn't need a saber, he can melt a plastic prison, electrify a metal one, and kill anyone that gets within 20 feet of him. He doesn't exactly have an alternative.

The one element you are missing is the fact that all life is sacred. Even if that person is the most evil person in the galaxy. They are still a living breathing person. In the real world he have the concept of innocent until proven guilty. The ability to take a person's life should not be taken lightly. Mace Windu is struggling with a moral conundrum.

I think that clip speaks to his desire to make something more than a Hollywood factory issue summer blockbuster, rather than something that's fine, good even, but utterly forgettable in 3-5 years. That's an artistic desire I can respect, even if I don't always like the outcome. Brick, for example, didn't click with me.

Like the Marvel movies. Great fun. But nothing we are going to be debating in the next 10 years. Rian made the movie exactly the way he wanted. And he got the results that he wanted. We are debating the dang thing, still.

The one element you are missing is the fact that all life is sacred. Even if that person is the most evil person in the galaxy. They are still a living breathing person. In the real world he have the concept of innocent until proven guilty. The ability to take a person's life should not be taken lightly. Mace Windu is struggling with a moral conundrum.

I've seen TLJ 4 times now. At first I thought the milking scene was done for laughs. But the way he drinks the milk and it runs down his beard. And Rey's reaction. It's gross, it's meant to be gross, Luke's trying to get rid of her. So he's purposefully trying to gross her out. Luke's really cranky. He's talked himself into believing that he's doing the right thing. Then out of the blue this girl with his dad's lightsaber shows up. And I think he knows that she's there to replace him, to do what he wouldn't. And that he's waisted his time.

I've seen TLJ 4 times now. At first I thought the milking scene was done for laughs. But the way he drinks the milk and it runs down his beard. And Rey's reaction. It's gross, it's meant to be gross, Luke's trying to get rid of her. So he's purposefully trying to gross her out. Luke's really cranky. He's talked himself into believing that he's doing the right thing. Then out of the blue this girl with his dad's lightsaber shows up. And I think he knows that she's there to replace him, to do what he wouldn't. And that he's waisted his time.

4 Times?

You Sir are a braver man than me:lol

Mace didn't struggle with his decision after Palpatine attacked with lightning, he made the choice (correctly) that Palpatine was too dangerous. Anakin was the one struggling, not with the morality of killing an unarmed Sith (he was fine with killing Dooku on his knees with no hands) but with his own selfish desire to gain the power Palpatine promised him.

4 Times?

You Sir are a braver man than me:lol

:lol thanks. While it's not favorite Star Wars or movie. It's not the worst either. I really don't think it's as bad as people think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Mace didn't struggle with his decision after Palpatine attacked with lightning, he made the choice (correctly) that Palpatine was too dangerous. Anakin was the one struggling, not with the morality of killing an unarmed Sith (he was fine with killing Dooku on his knees with no hands) but with his own selfish desire to gain the power Palpatine promised him.

https://youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4

4:03 4:04 mark, that's a face of man whos not sure of the action he's just committed to.

:lol thanks. While it's not favorite Star Wars or movie. It's not the worst either. I really don't think it's as bad as people think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4

4:03 4:04 mark, that's a face of man whos not sure of the action he's just committed to.
Perhaps to you, I see the look of determination from a man who knows what must be done, even if he doesn't want to.
It's pretty subjective to go by expression alone, the entire scene with dialogue has to be considered to get the context.

One person with two separate accounts? Hmmmm

Can you imagine if they had hyperspace missiles in ANH? Just launch a few to come out of hyperspace in the reactor. It broke Star Wars. Rotj, hyperspace missiles into second death star, shields actually protect.

Still debating Mace n Palpatine, but those who agree Mace should have killed him are proved right 10 seconds after, when Palpatine kills him. Debating something when the conclusions/motives/intentions/results were spelled out, a few seconds later...seriously? "Good" doesnt mean "defenseless" or "gullible".

Perhaps to you, I see the look of determination from a man who knows what must be done, even if he doesn't want to.
It's pretty subjective to go by expression alone, the entire scene with dialogue has to be considered to get the context.

"Even if he doesn't want to" this is exactly what I've been saying. To kill Palpatine is not necessarily the right thing to do. A Jedi doesn't want to kill anyone. I would not like to be in Mace's shoes and have to make a decision like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back