Weathering a Roman's MK1 Grenade?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just received Roman's MK1 weathered kit - it's great, I love it, but the grenade section is basically solid black. Can anyone recommend a way I could get it to that rusty color like the movie saber?

I suppose that you don't want to use paint.

I have used Mayco Magic Metallics oxidiser for another type of project. Brush on an "oxidiser" to make it rust. Then brush on a "sealer" to neutralise the oxidiser and to clearcoat the surface.
The product range also contains paints with metal powder but you won't need that if your grenade is steel to begin with.

You could also make your own rusting solution at home. (I found the recipe online, but I forget where. I usually wing it ...)
Dissolve as much table salt as possible in hot water, add a little white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. That will make steel rust really fast but it will also pit the surface somewhat. A solution of baking soda and water should neutralise it.
I used this to hot-blue my steel grenade to a black finish like a really old gun. Rust, boil in water, brush off excess: repeated up to seven times, each time making it darker than before. This is similar to what gunsmiths do to blue steel, but faster and more crude — and I wanted some pitting. Then I oiled it.

Last edited:
I suppose that you don't want to use paint.

I have used Mayco Magic Metallics oxidiser for another type of project. Brush on an "oxidiser" to make it rust. Then brush on a "sealer" to neutralise the oxidiser and to clearcoat the surface.
The product range also contains paints with metal powder but you won't need that if your grenade is steel to begin with.

You could also make your own rusting solution at home. (I found the recipe online, but I forget where. I usually wing it ...)
Dissolve as much table salt as possible in hot water, add a little white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. That will make steel rust really fast but it will also pit the surface somewhat. A solution of baking soda and water should neutralise it.
I used this to hot-blue my steel grenade to a black finish like a really old gun. Rust, boil in water, brush off excess: repeated up to seven times, each time making it darker than before. This is similar to what gunsmiths do to blue steel, but faster and more crude — and I wanted some pitting. Then I oiled it.

Interesting - I may have to try this at home method. Thanks for the info!

ok so i saved this so when i tackle a re weather i could do it exactly how scott does

Scottjua shared what he does to the grenade and booster awhile back. this is from his post

scottjua obi wan weathering

I use super blue in a zip lock long enough to get the parts blue.. then rinse with cold water... blow dry with compressor... then re apply. Then I spray with barricade and let it sit over night.

Then I hit the steel parts again, with a cotton ball or paper towel/shop rag soaked with super blue. Then a tooth brush sprayed with barricade. Then spray down with barricade and let it sit for a few hours.

Same for brass. Then I ding them up, and re-blue the newly dinged spots. Rub with some steel wool lightly, rinse with wd40, and then barricade again. Dry with towel completely and buff it until no more blue is coming off. I get a great match for my real grenade that way.

The thing I will try next is let them sit in old used motor oil. A suggestion from JamesKenobi. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
You can “knock back” the finish on an all black grenade by using a fine wire brush or dremel wire wheel (wear safety glasses and vacuum afterward. Those bristles fly off like crazy). Then rust and re-blue to your liking using the method above from scottjua. Another thing I have done is get a nice rust layer where I want it and then apply blue over it with rust still in place. You get a nice brown instead of bright orange.

i havent done this yet, but i believe the romans grenade is anodized. if so, oven clean will strip that right off, i have yet to try it. i have also been told by a gun smith to try white vinegar, hes had luck with letting it sit over night and stripping different anodizes off.

Hey Hecubus114 ! You could always do what parfaitelumiere recommends... just bury it for a month. ;)

I'd seal up the threads and inside of the grenade REALLY WELL though before doing so! That's one area you don't want to go bad in the least.

Good Luck on your re-weathering whichever route you choose!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve done 2 grenades the following way and it takes a few days and soakings for me here in CO (it’s very dry here so may take longer or not work for more humid locations) and turns out perfect for my tastes.

I simply light sand then wire brush it and then wrap it in a very wet/saturated paper towel and let dry overnight sitting in plastic cup, unwrap and wipe/brush a little of the rust layer off before redoing it multiple times. Problem I found is that it has a coating on it that needs to “rust” off or else it looks blotchy, hence why it takes multiple reps for this method to work for me.

Last edited:
I think I would use some fine steel wool or a wire brush to lightly take down the blueing and put some salt water on it. I'd probably use steel wool again to wipe off any excess rust I don't want and then use barricade or try that soaking in old motor oil trick.

obi.jpg
I am pretty close on finishing this. I am using a combo of the steel wool method and paint weathering. I like the effect so far.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back