Luke ROTJ Lightsaber v2 3D Print

Print is done. This time I printed at .1 layer height. Turned out amazing. Everything fits together. A few pieces are a bit loose but a little glue or tape on the connection points holds it together well.

Only issue is the clamp is too small. So I need to go back and modify the diameter of the booster and clamp so everything fits together correctly. But the current clamp and all its parts fit together nicely.

Almost done with this project. Yay!

f67f9ddaa83bc7cf55432421ab7906ab.jpg

adaf3a35c13aa7571cf8a76400832e33.jpg

4e00305288f4f57e3f2010ff7399295b.jpg

d6995942d36c0040f7cde3e6a3516234.jpg

ebaf39136a1dadb43ee01ebf411e22fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! The chrome paint on the Jedi hero is Molotow chrome thinned with a bit of laquer thinner and airbrushed, then clear coated with Alclad Klear Kote.

I'd also like to give it a beta test go! Here's a sample of my printed/assembled/finished versions of some other thingiverse sabers to show the type of work I do. I work from a Lulzbot Taz Mini.

View attachment 797557View attachment 797556

Those finishes are awesome! I'm impressed the Molotow held up that well to the Klear Kote. I'm glad I picked some up for when I finish my Rey blaster, hopefully it treats the Alclad aluminum I plan on using just as well. What'd you finish the ANH/ESB sabers with?

The other 2 sabers are Alclad aluminum, also hit with Klear Kote. Molotow does well with Alclad Klear Kote or Alclad Aqua Gloss, and the difference is very, very subtle, almost imperceptible. Just be sure to give the Molotow a good 3-4 days to cure out, and don't handle it, as it picks up fingerprints like crazy before the clear coat.

I reprinted the modified booster and clamp. It fits together perfectly!!! Yes!!! Sctcarts and elr02k. You guys have these new files already so you should be good. Thanks for the testing. Please give me all your feedback.

8935aa5b52b59f206acda25b242e2f11.jpg

e25f57fcf2ad0de6561345205ca1b6cf.jpg

Printing parts now, look forward to posting finished pictures as it comes together, thanks for letting me test run it for you!

The other 2 sabers are Alclad aluminum, also hit with Klear Kote. Molotow does well with Alclad Klear Kote or Alclad Aqua Gloss, and the difference is very, very subtle, almost imperceptible. Just be sure to give the Molotow a good 3-4 days to cure out, and don't handle it, as it picks up fingerprints like crazy before the clear coat.

Thanks for the tips!

I reprinted the modified booster and clamp. It fits together perfectly!!! Yes!!! Sctcarts and elr02k. You guys have these new files already so you should be good. Thanks for the testing. Please give me all your feedback.

That's come along super well, great job on getting all the pieces to come together.

Here's an update on the test print. Everything came out great, no problems. I printed at a .15 layer level on a Taz Mini, in PLA. The surface finishing is my usual, superglue and kicker, and tons of sanding. Primed, sanded, primed again, and hit with Molotow Chrome, then clear coated in Alclad Aqua Gloss.

IMG_20180304_043331.jpgIMG_20180304_043348.jpgIMG_20180304_043407.jpgIMG_20180304_043422.jpg

I still have a ton of weathering to do, but I thought this would show what is possible from the model Psych0ticmisfit has made! The fit on all the parts was great, a very small amount of wiggle room, but once pieces are glued together everything is great. And personally I like a small amount of tolerance for assembling prints like this, so this wasn't an issue at all. I will be doing a laser cut PCB card instead of the 3d printed one, but that's just personal taste. I think a part like that is probably best printed from an SLA or DPL style printer for the sort of tiny detail the card has - the only drawback to FDM printers is you can only get so far on certain details before parts start to lose fidelity.

Great model work! I love the details, and it makes for a very easy print!

Holy crap that looks great. Cannot wait to see the weathering. Also I need that paint you use. What kind is it? Looks damn good.

One day when I’m not being extremely lazy I’ll get the graflex logo into the clamp.

Thanks, it's a great model you made!

The paint is Molotow Chrome 20 year - it's a graffitti paint pen, but you can get the refills and mix it with a little laquer thinner to airbrush it. There's a pretty good thread about the ins and outs of it here on the RPF, just throw Molotow into the search engine, it should pop right up.

I'm almost done with the weathering, then I'll have pics to share!

Sctcarts. Holy hell, that looks great. Never thought my model would look so good. Especially with all the failed attempts at printing it laying in my basement. Lol.

Really nice Sctcarts!

It's the exactly the finish i'm looking for on a project!
So to summarize Sand/Prime/Molotow(+thinner?)/Alcad Aqua

Did you use any special paint over the Molotow chrome? +masking fluide for the age effect?

Again really nice job!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back