Christopher Reeve Superman Costume, Golden Edition.

supgreg

Just received my "Golden Edition" Superman the movie costume form Action Costumes last week, and I wanted to share what I believe to be the most screen accurate replica out there. I spent that last week doing some screen accurate "upgrades" to it, that I will highlight in this review.

First of all, let me say that this was 6 1/2 months in the making. I ordered this in mid-December, and received it in the beginning of March. Their ebay listing says it will take only 30 days. The first costume I received was appalling. The stitching wasn't straight, and was actually coming apart. There were holes in the costume as well. Not large, but they were more like tears in the seams where it looked as if they had tried too many times to get it right with the sewing machine. I immediately filed a claim with ebay after emailing Action Costumes. I sent them some pictures, and they agreed to take it back and try again.

So after 3 more months, I finally received a quality product from them. One of the major hurtles was communication. Action Costumes would only answer emails about once a week, if that. This was very frustration and I voiced my concern. It never improved however, and I had to be quick about replying when I got an email, so they could see it before another week went by. So, if you you buy from them, this may happen to you.

On to the costume-

Yes, it's the Golden Edition. What makes it "Golden"? Well, it probably has the most accurate fabric of any replica to date. Up close, it's indistinguishable from the screen version. They only difference is that it's not quite as shiny. It's a two way stretch vice a 4-wat spandex. It doesn't stretch near as much either. All measurements were taken from a screen used costume that they managed to measure and study up close. Both the Chest S and the Cape S were also traced from the real deal.

Tunic: My additions were the larger screen accurate black snaps, and the "Berman's and Nathan's" Tags that I made myself on my inkjet printer with a bit of ribbon. I actually learned that there were two different types of font used on the tags between Superman I/II and III/IV. This "type writer" font was used in the first movie.
IMG_5389.JPGIMG_5391.JPGIMG_5400.JPG

Belt: This edition has a much thinner belt than other replicas, just like the original. I also had Action Costumes add the screen accurate closures to the ends of the belt instead of velcro. It is lined with vinyl tape and has its own B&N tag as well. I gathered this info from the reference pics below.

IMG_5393.JPGIMG_5395.JPGIMG_5399.JPG

Original Screen Used Belts: first one is from superman I, second is an evil one from III. The dark spot is where the tag was originally.
reeve belt.pnger0t36.jpg

The picture surface recently. It's an authentic costume for sale/auction right now. It allowed me to calculate the actual size of the tag, since I know the belt is 2" wide.
14897_8.jpg

Buckle: This I made myself by making a mold of a previous buckle I had that was cast form an original and then re-casting it. The difference is that I molded brass paper fasteners into the back. This is how the original buckles were attached, believe it or not. Every detail counts!

IMG_5411.JPGIMG_5413.JPG

Leggings: Added a Bermans's and Nathan's tag in the correct location inside the waist band.

IMG_5385.JPG

Cape:

IMG_5438.JPG

My addtions to the standard Action Costumes makes for this edition are-

Screen accurate stitching around the border of the cape, replacement of the flap inside the neck-line to the correct material, hand stitching the emblem, and the larger black snaps to match the tunic. I also added a fabric hand written label to match a reference picture that I found.
IMG_5435.JPGIMG_5434.JPGIMG_5431.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 273
  • 3697q.jpg
    3697q.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_5410.JPG
    IMG_5410.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5384.JPG
    IMG_5384.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
How thick is this material? What I mean by that is -- What common material would you say it has similar thickness to. Definitely looks thicker than standard poly-lycra. The closeups give it an almost mini-curduroy look.

The color does seem pretty accurate. Do you have a evil superman suit as well? Wondering where you got that belt.

I'm glad it worked out well for you in the end, but 6 months.. wow! That's a pretty long time.

The material is much thicker than spandex. I don't know how to quantify it, but it's more like the weight of corduroy like you mentioned. It only stretches width wise, and has almost zero give vertically. That made the belt pretty difficult to get through those loops!

As for the belt, those pics of the screen used ones, like the evil one, are just pics I found online. That evil belt is owned by someone in this forum. It was one of the best references i found for the correct closures at the ends of the belt.

That 2-way stretch is interesting. I'm curious if the fabric Reeve wore was also 2-way, or if this 2-way was the closest thing that resembled it.

Would you by any chance know how Action Costumes' Bronze and Silver edition of the suit differ... (they are both 4-way, but not sure how they are different from each other).

I'm pretty sure that it's just a slightly different shade of blue. The silver edition looks more like a stealy blue, like it appeared on screen. The bronze looks more like the actual color of the costume off screen. Why they charge $500 more, I don't know. I guess the exclusivity of it. I can tell you that the footies of my leggings on the golden edition is made with the bronze edition fabric. The color match is almost 100%. I also used to own a version that was previous to the bronze edition, and it looks like the same fabric. It's much thinner and lighter than the golden edition stuff. And yes, the original fabric i believe was 2-way stretch.

The suit looks amazing!!

And yes, Reeve's original suits are 2-way stretch, as I own one myself.

Only question I have about the replica suit, why in the world would someone put a Berman & Nathans label on a replica suit??

Yeaah, the B&N label is too close to forgery :lol - I think he wanted to replicate to the t. I'd to have a replica suit, but the Hot Toys is enough for me.

The suit looks amazing!!And yes, Reeve's original suits are 2-way stretch, as I own one myself.Only question I have about the replica suit, why in the world would someone put a Berman & Nathans label on a replica suit??
I wanted to make a replica that was almost an exact copy, since I know I'll never own the real thing like you have. I know I already asked, but any chance you can confirm the measurements of the shields at least? My chest shield is 8x11" and the cape shield is 7x10". Also, the cape is 48" long.in the AC Golden Edition. What's your original? I know there's many people on the forum that would love that kind of information. Help a borther out!

I remembered that Action Costumes had a pic where they showed a person measuring the real suit, so I went to look at that and noticed the measuring tape was blurred out! lol.

1batt4u, it would be great if you could give us those measurements.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back