Top Gun: Maverick and Dead Goose.

Great Protoman The Ronin. Thanks for the compliments on my resto jobs, if you ever have any questions when you get around to restoring your grandfather's other helmet feel free to hit me up.

Great Protoman The Ronin. Thanks for the compliments on my resto jobs, if you ever have any questions when you get around to restoring your grandfather's other helmet feel free to hit me up.

Thanks. I certainly will. Any chance you could post a better pic of the pool noodle that you used? It doesn't look like the typical round one, but I can't see it in the background that well.

well done, looks surprisingly a lot like the actual goose and maverick! it was terrible when goose died though, he was the best character!

Thanks mrcogan :D
@The Ronin: It's just like the 5 point flower ones in this amazon listing: Amazon.com: Gladon Water Log Noodle Pool Toy Variety Pack, 2.75 x 58", Case of 20: Toys & Games

Only don't pay that much! I usually find these for a dollar at Target or Walmart, though they may be seasonal depending on where you live.
Thanks! I'll look for those when they start putting out the pool noodles. I'm guessing you just cut a groove down the middle so that it would slip over the shell edge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work. I've thought about doing a "Maverick" but don't want to sacrifice any of my spare helmets right now. Having restored quite a few helmets myself in my collection, taking off the old relective tape can be a real pain. Besides the razor blade, it is standard to use Methyl Ethyl Ketone for real stubborn tape, in limited application. I'm glad to see you went with some reflective tape on your version. That was my one real pet peeve with the movie, since regulations require at least 80% reflective tape on flight helmets. But what can you do, it's Hollywood.:rolleyes I hadn't considered the pool noodles, I'm going to keep that in mind for future restorations and save waiting for a good deal on parts from e-bay auctions. I still need lots of parts for other shells in my garage storage. Just for info purposes for anyone doing helmets of any kind, there are a lot of the new style integrated nape/chin strap sets on e-bay right now at very reasonable prices. The old separate front and back style are getting harder to find unless you want to pay high prices for new ones. They can be handy for other than flight helmets I'm sure. I need to add some more sets to my parts bin soon.:)

Hasenbrau, I found an old flight helmet but it has no listed size. Could I trouble you for some help?

PM sent

Yes, a picture might help determine the helmet style to start with and if you could put up some measurements that I could compare to one of mine, I might be able to make a comparison. I do have over 20 helmets and additional blank shells in my collection to measure against for a possible match. Also, check thoroughly inside the helmet, under the foam liner or under the visor cover if there is one, there might be a size or serial number sticker to go by as well. They put those stickers in the weirdest places sometimes.

Very cool. Thank you for your offer of help guys...

It is just the fiberglass shell. I tore it apart but there are no numbers or markings. It looks to be late 60's to 70's. I also have a tinted visor, but it has serial and P/N numbers.

So, I used a cloth tailor’s tape to measure along the tinted visor and helmet contours.

I measured (following the top edge of the brow) opening on the helmet at 8 inches.

I measured the horizontal face opening, straight across the gap, at 7 inches.

I measured bottom edge of the helmet "ear" over top/crest of helmet to the other "ear" edge for almost 26 inches.

I measured the Gentex visor width using the top edge as 10 inches. The visors have serial numbers :

US GOV’T P/N 30003/954AS411-11
Gentex P/N 79D4406-1 (tinted…the clear visor ends with a -2)
Followed by a final number : 97247
Both are hand stamped 3G07 or 3G27

Attachments

• DSCN0471.JPG
    DSCN0471.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0472.JPG
    DSCN0472.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0473.JPG
    DSCN0473.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN0474.JPG
    DSCN0474.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 119
  • $_57[1].jpg
    $_57[1].jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Seems you have an early hgu-2a/p shell (with the 3 venting holes on top). visor housings come in 2 sizes, medium and large. You have 3 holes for the screws to secure the housing. Give me the distance between the top and bottom holes and I'll give you the size. My first guess is large (or X-large).

looks like Chameloon beat me to this. His guess is right on the size. The P/N numbers on the visor correspond to a size Large according to the NSN parts number database.

Ah, you guys are great. Thank you

I have searched and searched for sizes and serial numbers for sizes etc. etc. Very much appreciated.

What color paint did you use on the goose helmet?

"I never worked day in my life, I just lay back and let the big beat lead me."

The Jungle Brothers

Hey tictoc, sorry I was late to the response party. I did send you an IM, albeit late. I hope you get all the right parts sorted out.
djmastayoda: Ford cardinal red duplicolor "Perfect Match."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back