Darkside501st's Spaceballs Dark Helmet helmet build thread

darkside501st

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was originally inspired by and have been wanting to do this helmet since Gorgot3000 did his version a couple years ago. It doesn't seem like it has been that long but I guess time flies. I would have loved to pick up one of his helmets but they were way to big for me so I was going to have to make my own. By chance I was contacted by a client who wanted the helmet done for Halloween so I took the commission and built this helmet for him. I made molds so that I could make more of them. ;)

I started out by making the 3D model and unfolding it in Pepakura Designer. You can find my .pdo file here:

After I hardened it with a few coats of resin and a layer of fiberglass it was still pretty wobbly. This would not have been much of an issue if I was just finishing the pepakura piece and calling it a day. Although, a pepakura build of this helmet would weigh quite a bit and be pretty tiring to your neck. However, since I was planning on making a mold of it so that I could make light weight casts I had to make it pretty solid. The solution I used was to fill the dome with a 2 part liquid expanding foam. It is chemical cure so the whole dome fills up and cures in a few hours. I was then able to really focus on smoothing out the surface and getting it symmetrical. I then made the mold using a 2 part brush on platinum silicone rubber and the mother mold using fiberglass and resin.

The mask was made from wood, PVC, and cardstock using my pep file as a template. I did end up making the eyes a little taller than the pep model though. I wanted to use wood as a medium because the faceplate has lots of flat surfaces on it and this would have taken more work to get that with a pepakura method. I used the same method to make the silicone mold of the faceplate and I used a two component fiber-filled brush on plastic resin for the mother mold.

One of the more challenging parts of the build was figuring out where the hinge point was going to be on the helmet and faceplate. It took me a few hours of playing around with the first pull and some trial and error but I got it down pretty close. I might play around with it a bit more when I have some more time.

Take a look as some pictures of the construction process:

Also, I made a quick video of myself trying on the raw cast and of the finished helmet here:

I will be posting some hi-res images when I get around to it, lol. Hopefully it wont be too long.
And here you go:

Last edited:
So, I have finalized all my product choices and will be listing a Project Run soon. I also will be making the Spaceballs trooper helmets.

spaceballs helm.jpg

Ok, it took a little while on the pictures. The holidays were pretty busy for me. Anyway, I uploaded them to the first post. Check them out and look for my thread in the Project Run forum.

I know its too late for Halloween this year, but I would like to plan for next year. I wouldn't mind knowing what the cost would be for one as well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back