Laffo's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry for the kid.

Laffo

Sr Member
Been a while since I posted a build, been building bigger things.
Here's the budget Jack Skellington for a incredibly detail oriented 4 year old.
She comes by the eye for detail honestly I suppose.

We start with an acrylic lamp globe:
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah90/Pallookaville/imagejpg1_zpsb2a07a68.jpg

Map out the center and sketch out the features.
Cut out the opening to allow a human head in the damn thing.
View attachment 400287

Let someone try it on to see if they freak out or not. They don't. In fact they are so happy they are white knuckle stoked!
imagejpg3_zps4b8dc856.jpg

Chop some holes in the globe.
imagejpg4_zps36716666.jpg

Pull off the tape and realize what a sloppy job you did.
imagejpg5_zps5d6f98d8.jpg

Reinforce what you've done.
imagejpg7_zps0b16a666.jpg

Clean up the work.
imagejpg9_zps9a7ea793.jpg

Start drilling hole sand putting screws in for the putty to hold on to.
imagejpg9_zps9a7ea793.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsc5b1fcaa.jpg

Going to sculpt this with Smooth On Free Form AIR Lightweight Epoxy Putty. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. The sample kit is plenty for what I'll need.
The stuff requires that you work really wet. It is messy and soft. I'll have to do the sculpt in phases and let it dry over night.
imagejpg12_zps9879618d.jpg

imagejpg13_zps180b55ca.jpg

imagejpg14_zps3a86b98e.jpg

Nose
imagejpg15_zpsc0f45b40.jpg

Glued cut nails around the mouth for purchase.
imagejpg18_zpsaa01eb3e.jpg

Meanwhile, they make no Skeleton Vans for little Kids right now. Seems odd.
Made some.
imagejpg16_zpsa0086542.jpg

Ready to start mouth.
imagejpg19_zps53c7dedd.jpg

Sick of Free Form Air. Gah, terrible.
Let's stripe the suit, which by the way, ends up taking the longest to do.
Yes, that's a Jury summons.
imagejpg19_zps53c7dedd.jpg

imagejpg21_zps158defa8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps22480906.jpg

Test run:
imagejpg2_zps681383d6.jpg

Tie. I do love the Fosshape!
imagejpg6_zpsf11ad737.jpg

Head. Fished sculpt, primed and carved, will get a sanding, another coat and paint job.
imagejpg4_zps15d64c86.jpg

imagejpg5_zps6d98f31c.jpg

Head finished. Skateboard helmet Great Stuffed inside. Took black tulle from a thrift store prom dress and old window screen, glued them together and covered the eyes, nose and mouth.
imagejpg15_zps1ba99672.jpg

Suit done.
imagejpg16_zpsd081f690.jpg

Laffo.

Attachments

• imagejpg11_zps923b5bc8.jpg
    imagejpg11_zps923b5bc8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 177
  • imagejpg12_zps81d29306.jpg
    imagejpg12_zps81d29306.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 179
  • imagejpg13_zps0db39d83.jpg
    imagejpg13_zps0db39d83.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Laffo

Please don't forget to post a proof pic and gallery pic as noted in the post above! Entry closes tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
This entry still requires the proof pic as well as a gallery picture posted here: http://www.therpf.com/gallery/g966-2014-10-halloween-costume-contest.html

Proof pic is post #3 from Nov. 3rd.
Laffo

- - - Updated - - -

Post #139 in the stuck contest thread.

I guess I'm at a loss as to what that was.
Laffo.

Last edited:
Proof pic is post #3 from Nov. 3rd.
Laffo

- - - Updated - - -

From the rules:

"Third, you must post a proof photo into your build thread, "proving" this is your costume in order to dissuade those who might simply submit a random photo from off the internet. The "proof" photo needs to be you, in costume, with either a sheet of paper that says "The RPF Costume Contest 2014" or a photo of you in costume with your computer in the background with therpf.com up on the computer. This is a very important step, so make sure to include your "proof" photo when entering!."

If you can get it posted today you're in. :)

That's a picture of me, in a Pirate suit build I documented on this site, with my wife, and daughter, in the costume I documented the build of in this thread.
If that's not enough proof, so be it.
I'm not going to dress a four year up in a costume we just got her to take off, to satisfy this "piece of paper" stipulation - to prove I built the thing. Entering the contest was a lark in the first place and had a previous build thread that predated this one that I asked to have removed to satisfy the title stipulation.

Laffo.

In that case I'm going to allow this entry on the condition that should the mods deem it necessary you'll provide an "official" proof pic. Is that agreeable to you?

Last edited:
I was pretty clear in post #9 that I would not be dressing a 4 year old back up in a costume she just now stopped begging to wear just to shoot a piece of paper proving I made the costume.

I provided a photo of myself, in a suit I covered the build of on the RPF with the child Trick or Treating (which by the way is the reason for even doing any of this) in a suit I covered the build of in this AND a previous thread.

If that is not sufficient for the "Mods" to prove I build it, all of us on this end will survive.

Laffo.

Pretty simple take a second and read, Id like to had another week to finish, but rules are rules. Didn't make it do it next year with a proof picture or lay the costume out do a proof picture...and the red quotes not making things better...

I was pretty clear in post #9 that I would not be dressing a 4 year old back up in a costume she just now stopped begging to wear just to shoot a piece of paper proving I made the costume.

I provided a photo of myself, in a suit I covered the build of on the RPF with the child Trick or Treating (which by the way is the reason for even doing any of this) in a suit I covered the build of in this AND a previous thread.

If that is not sufficient for the "Mods" to prove I build it, all of us on this end will survive.

Laffo.

Question about the proof pic:

My costume features full facial prosthetics plus a beard and mustache...I just had photos done of the costume last week, but the prosthetics have caused my skin to break out -_-...If I had the entire costume on with just the beard and mustache but minus the prosthetics, is that still fine for the proof pic? I feel like my skin needs a bit longer to fully heal up again before I can do all the fx makeup.

Definitely. Maybe just have the prosthetics in the pic with you. :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

So far as proof pics go I'm generally pretty easy going. As long as it has the sign and I can clearly see you and the costume I'm happy. :thumbsup

So that means you don't have to have the whole thing on if it's terribly difficult to do. Simply put on what you can and make sure the rest is in the pic. :)

Here's the budget Jack Skellington for a incredibly detail oriented 4 year old.
She comes by the eye for detail honestly I suppose.

Isn't that fun when someone so little demands it looks 'JUST RIGHT!" ? haha!

hmm... that stuff looks labor intensive but the results well worth it.

Meanwhile, they make no Skeleton Vans for little Kids right now. Seems odd.
Made some.
View attachment 400303
Clever! They look great!
View attachment 401962

Happy Halloween folks!
Laffo.

Super job!! He is so adorable...

Pretty simple take a second and read, Id like to had another week to finish, but rules are rules. Didn't make it do it next year with a proof picture or lay the costume out do a proof picture...and the red quotes not making things better...

I stated I entered on a lark, after Halloween and was not dressing the child up again. If you have had a four year old, you'd understand. I didn't demand any special treatment. I built the costume for the kid, not the folks here, or for contests.
Shared it because I thought folks would get a kick out of something other than Ironman.

Laffo.

Laffo,

It is great to see your work again. You make it look so easy, yet it looks so great. Fully understand and sympthathize with your four year old, having one myself. Children are a trip! As long as they are happy, nothing else matters.

I am finding this costume to be very interesting!! Is it related to some character or what? Since 2 years I am using pirate costumes for halloween parties and now I am quite bored with it. But this character that too made out of freaking globe is too awesome. I will try to make it out and once I am done, surely I will post the pictures.

I am finding this costume to be very interesting!! Is it related to some character or what? Since 2 years I am using pirate costumes for halloween parties and now I am quite bored with it. But this character that too made out of freaking globe is too awesome. I will try to make it out and once I am done, surely I will post the pictures.

It's Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas. A small film of no significance.
Laffo.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back