Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak!

Tank you Helagak so much for the wonderful files.

I've been building my own pepakura of the mask and had a few questions since this is my first time building anything like this.

I fibreglassed the inside using the Bondo brand Fibreglass repair kit. I was wearing a respirator during the application of the stuff and i did it outside. The stuff smelled terrible for a day or so but never completely went away. I've been keeping it outside but i'm hesitant to even go near it without a respirator after everything i've read about the fumes. Anyhow its sat outside for a few days now but there is still a strong resin smell coming from it if i get within a foot from it. Can anyone tell me if the smell with go away or if there is anything i can do to eliminate it.

Anyway i've included some pictures of the mask as it is today. I started to Bondo the back so thats only the first coat. I constructed the tubes out of dowels and a pvc pipe. Overall i'm really happy with how its looking never mind how it smells.

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    1,002 KB · Views: 223
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 427
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 373
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 287
Does anybody have any pictures of the paper version assembled from different sides before paint or anything so I can see which pieces go where. I only cut out the first page, and I know it's the back piece, but I don't know what the other two pieces are for. I have a mac and can't get the pepakura viewer installed. I downloaded sketchup and put in an stl plugin and the program keeps being unresponsive. Please help

Last edited:
Tank you Helagak so much for the wonderful files.

I've been building my own pepakura of the mask and had a few questions since this is my first time building anything like this.

I fibreglassed the inside using the Bondo brand Fibreglass repair kit. I was wearing a respirator during the application of the stuff and i did it outside. The stuff smelled terrible for a day or so but never completely went away. I've been keeping it outside but i'm hesitant to even go near it without a respirator after everything i've read about the fumes. Anyhow its sat outside for a few days now but there is still a strong resin smell coming from it if i get within a foot from it. Can anyone tell me if the smell with go away or if there is anything i can do to eliminate it.

Anyway i've included some pictures of the mask as it is today. I started to Bondo the back so thats only the first coat. I constructed the tubes out of dowels and a pvc pipe. Overall i'm really happy with how its looking never mind how it smells.

for fiberglass when it's fresh it is still going to have its unique smell. It should go away when you sand it. Ask me how I know.12100_773635355981621_1836491114_n.jpg1912164_779177112094112_8385272162819265938_n.jpg (sub boxes for my truck). right before I put them in I put some fiberglass resin on the back for reinforcement, and the smell stayed for a few weeks, because I never sanded it. The kit says to put 12 drops of hardener per batch. I always up the ante on the hardener. It never seems to dry completely the way the directions specify. To be dry to the touch it can take hours. Fiberglass is a very time consuming art.

Last edited:
for fiberglass when it's fresh it is still going to have its unique smell. It should go away when you sand it. Ask me how I know.View attachment 362915View attachment 362916 (sub boxes for my truck). right before I put them in I put some fiberglass resin on the back for reinforcement, and the smell stayed for a few weeks, because I never sanded it. The kit says to put 12 drops of hardener per batch. I always up the ante on the hardener. It never seems to dry completely the way the directions specify. To be dry to the touch it can take hours. Fiberglass is a very time consuming art.
So upping the hardener and sanding down the resin should remove said unique smell?

Yeah. the upper layer tends to be softer. when I was doing my stuff, the top layer would still be tacky, so I would sand it down and it became deglossed and it was dry to the touch. It should get you there. If that doesn't work in your case just give it some time and the smell will dissipate. personally the smell doesn't bother me. I just made sure to wear a dust mask when I was sanding. You're definitely taking the best safety measures for yourself in your situation so kudos.

Just heads up guys, I've been looking at rotating my parts before printing to reduce print times and wastage. I've printed the front three pieces as they came as their orientation looked to be about right for efficiency.
IMG_2958.JPG

I've now taken MASK_TEMPLE_LEFT and rotated it 90degrees and according to a gcode analyzer the print time has reduced by 3 hrs 45 mins and used 8 meters less filament. That's with raft and full support over 60 degrees.
Naturally the print lines will be in a different direction, but this won't matter if you're going to smooth it.
Rotated part comparison.png

Last edited:
Does anybody have any pictures of the paper version assembled from different sides before paint or anything so I can see which pieces go where. I only cut out the first page, and I know it's the back piece, but I don't know what the other two pieces are for. I have a mac and can't get the pepakura viewer installed. I downloaded sketchup and put in an stl plugin and the program keeps being unresponsive. Please help

I downloaded pepakura viewer, and the pdo on my pc problem solved

Hey Helagak, I've printed the cheeks, but I'm not really happy with the quality of my print. Any chance we could get the cheeks without the pipes, and the pipes separate? I think it would print better separately, then we can just glue them in.

I love the work all of you guys have posted! But I have a question about the foam fold. Does anyone have a saved version with the helmet fully unfolded? Since that's my only option right now for the helmet. I could go through the tediousness myself, but it's worth asking first.

Anyone else having an issue with the 3D print files not being manifold? I'm using Repetier-Host and slic3r. When I slice some of the parts, there are some serious issues with them. I've tried cleaning them up with Netfabb and I'm still having issues.

Also, using wood filler is what I've been doing on my Lich King 3D print build. It's so much easier to use than bondo. (you can check out my build thread HERE if interested)

Anyone else having an issue with the 3D print files not being manifold? I'm using Repetier-Host and slic3r. When I slice some of the parts, there are some serious issues with them. I've tried cleaning them up with Netfabb and I'm still having issues.

I've had similar problems, but Skeinforge has still been able to slice them. The cheeks and back seem to be particularly problematic looking at the Skeinforge console window.

I've had similar problems, but Skeinforge has still been able to slice them. The cheeks and back seem to be particularly problematic looking at the Skeinforge console window.
Weird, I had no problems using Cura.

Also I really would appreciate cheeks and pipes separated! Would really help when sanding and painting too!

Total 3d printing noob here....
Saber smith venturing into other props =D
I just purchased a coblebot 15x15x15 3d printer, when it arrive will i be able to easily use these 3d print files and make my own star lord mask?

holy smoke is this 7 year old me dream come true if so......

thanks
, feel free to condecend .... my lack of knowledge of this is derserving of it :facepalm

Where did you purchase the CobbleBot printer? I've only found the expired Kickstarter for it.

Total 3d printing noob here....
Saber smith venturing into other props =D
I just purchased a coblebot 15x15x15 3d printer, when it arrive will i be able to easily use these 3d print files and make my own star lord mask?

holy smoke is this 7 year old me dream come true if so......

thanks
, feel free to condecend .... my lack of knowledge of this is derserving of it :facepalm

I am desperately looking for someone to 3D print the mask for me if there's anyone who would be willing to? I'm in kind of a short time as I have, comic con in two weeks, however I have had trouble finding anyone locally who is willing to or capable of helping me out. I'm debating doing a foam build, but I don't have full use of my right hand and handling a knife is a tricky proposition. Already got the coat and guns, which I modded from the nerf pistols. Anyone that can help with the mask bits?

Thanks!

Hey guys I am trying to download the 3d files but my computer keeps giving me virus warnings. What's going on?

Hazardjsimpson , have you tried looking on http://www.3dhubs.com/ for someone local to print for you? This could reduce deliver fees and speed up the turn around time. This is a community that Valcrow recommended when he did a 3d print of Obi Wan's Lightsaber. Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back