Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

OK guys, here's what I came up with. These will be in my etsy shop for anyone who wants a kit, which includes the adapter and correct gaffers tape. Link in the video description.

Screen Shot 08-17-18 at 03.32 PM.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Trent I can not believe you got this to work so easily...

My mind is totally blown with the side by side comparison, this is totally out of this world!!! Booting up the video now, dying to see this in action

Wow, just wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished the gaffers tape adapter

Holy hell trent!! INGENIOUS design!! Freak’n perfect man!

Hitting up the second video now!

Guys...
I...
I'm literally speechless. I can't even begin to describe how awesome this is. Thankfully I filmed the whole thing and am uploading it now.

halliwax is a genius, artist, master craftsman, and a true friend. Brother I cannot thank you enough for this. I'm truly humbled.
I normally don't say things like this because it comes off as bragging, but since this is not my work, I can say it without bragging. I truly believe that I now own THE most accurate V2 replica on the planet right now. I have seen some AMAZING work done on these things, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the details. and like I said I don't mean it braggy in anyway, I'm simply stating a fact that he literally did make me what is the most accurate replica in existence right now. I can't wait to get some really close comparisons to the real deal.

Part 1.
https://youtu.be/EQAK-41O9D8

Part 2.
https://youtu.be/ayCTk-FlxLE

FINALLY got to see this!! only took me all day! Im so glad your happy with it Trent. You forget this was a team effort, i couldn't have brought it to this level with out you. and im not just talking about your legendary 2nd generation stencils. You helped me through it all, the wind vane color was a genius idea. i personally think you matched the wind vane color PERFECTLY. i cant take any credit for it, all i did was follow your instructions and try try try.. until i finally got it. and i would of got it sooner if i wasn't so ignorant

i still to this day remember the picture i sent ya when i finally got it... the feeling of accomplishment was indescribable. That was, and still is the hardest part of this build. and i couldn't have brought it to this level of accuracy with out ya.

all the tricks you taught me along the way.. i really really appreciate it.

I had so much fun with the conference calls. Trent and I would try and meet up a few nights a week and go over strategy on this build. we were going for the elitist level of accuracy so there was a lot of experimenting and presentations over the months. Plus i was working unrealistic hours, so it was tough sneaking in "shop talk". Thursday nights seemed to be the night we could plan the most. of course after i bring the groceries in for mom, thursday is grocery night

how many times did i go to walgreens and print out reference pictures lol, or ask you " can you blow this picture up, what do you see?!" "what do you think about this?" " you think this is dented enough?" " does it have enough brown in it?"

This was a incredible journey, i had so much fun with this build. ive learned so much as well. The joint effort i think is what was the best, just the team work.

i found myself constantly smiling and chuckling through out the videos. im so glad you recorded this, i felt like i was right there with ya. im so glad your as happy with it as i am. Im very very proud of this piece.. truly feel likes its my biggest accomplishment

ive had this for so long it actually saddened me to see it go...

of course the day i planned on shipping it i was stuck and didnt make the post office. but when i got there a few days later and saw it sitting on the shelf.. i felt like a piece of me was leaving with it... and i guess i can say that it did..

some of you may or may not know, but the last 2 years of my life have been pretty screwed up. I was engaged, making the next huge step in my life, (wife, house & kids) when that all was pulled out from under me over night... i lost everything, and i mean everything... brand new car (first time ive ever bought a brand new car), gone, iPad, computers, custom hand made race bicycle gone, cell phone.. you name it...Hell even a lot of my cloths... i had to start over.. then my work vehicle broke pretty good.. my father ended up getting sick.. i was down for the count and when i hit rock bottom she still had the power to stomp me into the ground whenever she had the chance...

why am i saying all this personal crap? because i used trents v2 to escape... Id throw this V2 on my workbench and leave this screwed up world. this is where i could focus on every little detail... every nick, scratch dent... burn.. screw... D ring.. It helped me cope. A lot of people are intimated by the stencils, i find myself at peace when weeding them.. it takes me a week, doing one small section at a time. but it was my therapy.. I enjoyed every minute of this build.. i got to escape..

So seeing this video, hearing your expressions when opening it up.. brings complete happiness, and the highest level of accomplishment. i haven't felt this in years.

Your a good friend Trent. thanks for everything, I couldn't have done this with out you and thats the gods honest truth!!

and everyone in here with all your comments, thank you so so much. I live in a pretty small world, dont have many friends, and LIVE for this forum.. you are all very important to me. and i really appreciate your friendships.

-Halliwax

so now back to my joking internet self. I cant top trents unboxing video. i think my favorite part was him setting up everything for the unboxing including a garbage can for the peanuts. and once he got about halfway through opening it he says "screw it" and starts throwing the peanuts on the floor!! LOL!!! classic!!

but here is a video i made a few days before i shipped it off to him. i had a little over a week in poly-ing the box... we had 3-4 weeks of record high humidity for us.. i honestly in all my life cant remember it ever being this bad here were i live..

i would do 1 coat of poly after i got home from work (around 10pm) but when i would get home from work the following day, the humidity would do something to the poly and turn it a milky white... i would sand it all down and start over. i seriously did this 5 times... thats 5 nights.. after the 5th failure i poly-ed it right in my room.. smelt like hell but with the cold basement cranking and my father cranking the AC, the damn poly would run.. i couldn't win. I ended up finally getting it on the 7th time, and ironically i did it back out in the shed with my duel fans blowing all day..

I cant take credit for the box, pixel piper made a box like this a few years back for a build he did. i love his design so much i wanted to build one like it. so i didnt come up with the design, that pixels great thinking.

the video below just explains every step ive done to bring it to this level. I would work on Trent's V2 any chance i got. the chemical age was the hardest part for me. NOT the actual physical part, but finding the time to do it.

Chemical aging takes me all day, and im serious. if i start at 9am im done 9-10pm at night. its a all day affair. the past 15 weeks i managed 4 job sites, worked every single day and night (except 9 nights, i even worked 4th july and memorial day) if i had the night off, i was tinkering with this. realistically the hours in this i couldn't tell you.. there is a lot.

even though this video is my second attempt, i did miss a few things that i just through in as captions.

there is a few easter eggs in there so its worth the watch. this isn't the end, i still have a few more videos i need to pump out for the tutorial. I have a lot of seat time this weekend baby sitting my dad( he is now doing freak'n awesome!!), so i will FINALLY tweak this tutorial with new photos ive had for months. so be on the look out

just realized i spent 2 hours writing this... damn...

FINALLY got to see this!! only took me all day! Im so glad your happy with it Trent. You forget this was a team effort, i couldn't have brought it to this level with out you. and im not just talking about your legendary 2nd generation stencils. You helped me through it all, the wind vane color was a genius idea. i personally think you matched the wind vane color PERFECTLY. i cant take any credit for it, all i did was follow your instructions and try try try.. until i finally got it. and i would of got it sooner if i wasn't so ignorant

i still to this day remember the picture i sent ya when i finally got it... the feeling of accomplishment was indescribable. That was, and still is the hardest part of this build. and i couldn't have brought it to this level of accuracy with out ya.

I had so much fun with the conference calls. Trent and I would try and meet up a few nights a week and go over strategy on this build. we were going for the elitist level of accuracy so there was a lot of experimenting and presentations over the months. Plus i was working unrealistic hours, so it was tough sneaking in "shop talk". Thursday nights seemed to be the night we could plan the most. of course after i bring the groceries in for mom, thursday is grocery night

how many times did i go to walgreens and print out reference pictures lol, or ask you " can you blow this picture up, what do you see?!" "what do you think about this?" " you think this is dented enough?" " does it have enough brown in it?"

This was a incredible journey, i had so much fun with this build. ive learned so much as well. The joint effort i think is what was the best, just the team work.

i found myself constantly smiling and chuckling through out the videos. im so glad you recorded this, i felt like i was right there with ya. im so glad your as happy with it as i am. Im very very proud of this piece.. truly feel likes its my biggest accomplishment

of course the day i planned on shipping it i was stuck and didnt make the post office. but when i got there a few days later and saw it sitting on the shelf.. i felt like a piece of me was leaving with it... and i guess i can say that it did..

some of you may or may not know, but the last 2 years of my life have been pretty screwed up. I was engaged, making the next huge step in my life, (wife, house & kids) when that all was pulled out from under me over night... i lost everything, and i mean everything... brand new car (first time ive ever bought a brand new car), gone, iPad, computers, custom hand made race bicycle gone, cell phone.. you name it...Hell even a lot of my cloths... i had to start over.. then my work vehicle broke pretty good.. my father ended up getting sick.. i was down for the count and when i hit rock bottom she still had the power to stomp me into the ground whenever she had the chance...

why am i saying all this personal crap? because i used trents v2 to escape... Id throw this V2 on my workbench and leave this screwed up world. this is where i could focus on every little detail... every nick, scratch dent... burn.. screw... D ring.. It helped me cope. A lot of people are intimated by the stencils, i find myself at peace when weeding them.. it takes me a week, doing one small section at a time. but it was my therapy.. I enjoyed every minute of this build.. i got to escape..

So seeing this video, hearing your expressions when opening it up.. brings complete happiness, and the highest level of accomplishment. i haven't felt this in years.

Your a good friend Trent. thanks for everything, I couldn't have done this with out you and thats the gods honest truth!!

and everyone in here with all your comments, thank you so so much. I live in a pretty small world, dont have many friends, and LIVE for this forum.. you are all very important to me. and i really appreciate your friendships.

-Halliwax

so now back to my joking internet self. I cant top trents unboxing video. i think my favorite part was him setting up everything for the unboxing including a garbage can for the peanuts. and once he got about halfway through opening it he says "screw it" and starts throwing the peanuts on the floor!! LOL!!! classic!!

but here is a video i made a few days before i shipped it off to him. i had a little over a week in poly-ing the box... we had 3-4 weeks of record high humidity for us.. i honestly in all my life cant remember it ever being this bad here were i live..

i would do 1 coat of poly after i got home from work (around 10pm) but when i would get home from work the following day, the humidity would do something to the poly and turn it a milky white... i would sand it all down and start over. i seriously did this 5 times... thats 5 nights.. after the 5th failure i poly-ed it right in my room.. smelt like hell but with the cold basement cranking and my father cranking the AC, the damn poly would run.. i couldn't win. I ended up finally getting it on the 7th time, and ironically i did it back out in the shed with my duel fans blowing all day..

I cant take credit for the box, pixel piper made a box like this a few years back for a build he did. i love his design so much i wanted to build one like it. so i didnt come up with the design, that pixels great thinking.

the video below just explains every step ive done to bring it to this level. I would work on Trent's V2 any chance i got. the chemical age was the hardest part for me. NOT the actual physical part, but finding the time to do it.

Chemical aging takes me all day, and im serious. if i start at 9am im done 9-10pm at night. its a all day affair. the past 15 weeks i managed 4 job sites, worked every single day and night (except 9 nights, i even worked 4th july and memorial day) if i had the night off, i was tinkering with this. realistically the hours in this i couldn't tell you.. there is a lot.

even though this video is my second attempt, i did miss a few things that i just through in as captions.

there is a few easter eggs in there so its worth the watch. this isn't the end, i still have a few more videos i need to pump out for the tutorial. I have a lot of seat time this weekend baby sitting my dad( he is now doing freak'n awesome!!), so i will FINALLY tweak this tutorial with new photos ive had for months. so be on the look out

https://youtu.be/yterPQoLxts

Speechless Danny ... :)

This place (and after all the V2 too :) ) is great community and you illustrated well this.

MTFBWY

My lighting in my basement apartment sucks.. a few years ago I bought these super high lumens LED drop ceiling panels

They were crazy bright and dimmable.. when I installed them all, and turned them on they interfered with my Cable tv and WiFi...

I ended up ditching the huge led panels, and bought 6” cans with 6” retro fit led RF free leds..

Still had the same problem, I ended up going with 4” leds and they don’t bother my tv anymore.. just really really sucks for lighting.. I really need to run new cable wire so I can re install the huge led panels again..

78e4d6f24a0d2ec72515fa0119b8bf99.jpg

1d5d4cfaf6f99045932afaf352e19bc2.jpg

b092d91fcb3c27b8bd284563a9f60fad.jpg

35f0bfd6bf95f85f3927aa96b7757880.jpg

ab3915e43989a9b55262383e26388d37.jpg

d0e06f2689e295cac1f804702e8c8eca.jpg

3c286d795571fafe443a86a5934e1f84.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Speechless Danny ... :)

This place (and after all the V2 too :) ) is great community and you illustrated well this.

MTFBWY

thank you buddy, to quote han solo

"its true... all of it..."

;)

My lighting in my basement apartment sucks.. a few years ago I bought these super high lumens LED drop ceiling panels

They were crazy bright and dimmable.. when I installed them all, and turned them on they interfered with my Cable tv and WiFi...

I ended up ditching the huge led panels, and bought 6” cans with 6” retro fit led RF free leds..

Still had the same problem, I ended up going with 4” leds and they don’t bother my tv anymore.. just really really sucks for lighting.. I really need to run new cable wire so I can re install the huge led panels again..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/78e4d6f24a0d2ec72515fa0119b8bf99.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/1d5d4cfaf6f99045932afaf352e19bc2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/b092d91fcb3c27b8bd284563a9f60fad.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/35f0bfd6bf95f85f3927aa96b7757880.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/ab3915e43989a9b55262383e26388d37.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/d0e06f2689e295cac1f804702e8c8eca.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/3c286d795571fafe443a86a5934e1f84.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

thank you buddy, to quote han solo

"its true... all of it..."

;)
"I know"

[emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]

-Halliwax

https://youtu.be/yterPQoLxts

Man that really means a lot to me. I totally get needing hobbies to escape from reality sometimes. Needing to tinker and make things with your hands makes you feel in control of some small tangible thing when you need it. I really appreciate all the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears you put into building what is literally the most perfect V2 replica I've ever seen. I honestly had no idea I was getting such a sweet deal. I just figured you'd maybe age it chemically, bang it up and down the driveway and slap some paint on it. I'd have been totally happy with that. But the amount of focus and attention you put into it really makes this special man. Other props may come and go but I'm never letting go of this one.
I've literally spent all evening pausing through the videos and screen shots, comparing mine to the real deal and literally EVERY SINGLE details is there. I can't wait to get some really good pics of it to show off just how freakin close this thing is. You really outdid yourself man. You're a good dude, a great friend, and a very talented prop builder. I'm stoked your dad is doing well. I hope he continues to heal and improve quickly, you deserve some highs after all these lows man.
Cheers.

Man that really means a lot to me. I totally get needing hobbies to escape from reality sometimes. Needing to tinker and make things with your hands makes you feel in control of some small tangible thing when you need it. I really appreciate all the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears you put into building what is literally the most perfect V2 replica I've ever seen. I honestly had no idea I was getting such a sweet deal. I just figured you'd maybe age it chemically, bang it up and down the driveway and slap some paint on it. I'd have been totally happy with that. But the amount of focus and attention you put into it really makes this special man. Other props may come and go but I'm never letting go of this one.
I've literally spent all evening pausing through the videos and screen shots, comparing mine to the real deal and literally EVERY SINGLE details is there. I can't wait to get some really good pics of it to show off just how freakin close this thing is. You really outdid yourself man. You're a good dude, a great friend, and a very talented prop builder. I'm stoked your dad is doing well. I hope he continues to heal and improve quickly, you deserve some highs after all these lows man.
Cheers.

Now that this journey is over trent, we gotta come up with a new project!!! What the hell are we gonna do now?!

Thanks for all those kind comments, seriously sad to see it go.

What we need to do a find a nice matching leather glove!!

Btw, your camera. Holy hell is that thing serious!!!

What we need to do a find a nice matching leather glove!!

I was thinking about this this morning, If you find it please share. I'd also love a Luke one from TLJ for my Graflex. :)

I was thinking about this this morning, If you find it please share. I'd also love a Luke one from TLJ for my Graflex. :)

I got one on the way, I’ll update with what I think of it this weekend

4A77C979-9AB9-4EC8-9233-F9B99B148DF8.jpeg6A745E79-A8CA-42C0-BC22-7D9C4F4E129C.jpeg2C78A29B-93DC-4E9A-B406-AE71C787608D.jpeg43221C4B-66BC-4B43-A0EE-90986F39668D.jpeg

Just wanted to say thanks once again for your thread Danny! I believe this is the fifth (and LAST!) V2 I’ve finished. This one is for Chris.

Couldn’t do it without your mega helpful thread and Trent’s wonderful stencils... even if I have PTSD style flash backs to weeding out every single little island. :lol

View attachment 838563View attachment 838562View attachment 838561View attachment 838560

Just wanted to say thanks once again for your thread Danny! I believe this is the fifth (and LAST!) V2 I’ve finished. This one is for Chris.

Couldn’t do it without your mega helpful thread and Trent’s wonderful stencils... even if I have PTSD style flash backs to weeding out every single little island. :lol

Mold maker!!! Glad to see you back!! That came out beautiful!! Great work there buddy!!

I’m really glad my tutorial helped! That’s what it’s there for

Halliwax, what was done to weather that lever?

Little bit of a process (nothing serious) I’ll write down the steps tonight

Guys...
I...
I'm literally speechless. I can't even begin to describe how awesome this is. Thankfully I filmed the whole thing and am uploading it now.

halliwax is a genius, artist, master craftsman, and a true friend. Brother I cannot thank you enough for this. I'm truly humbled.
I normally don't say things like this because it comes off as bragging, but since this is not my work, I can say it without bragging. I truly believe that I now own THE most accurate V2 replica on the planet right now. I have seen some AMAZING work done on these things, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the details. and like I said I don't mean it braggy in anyway, I'm simply stating a fact that he literally did make me what is the most accurate replica in existence right now. I can't wait to get some really close comparisons to the real deal.

Part 1.

Part 2.
I've gone through this thread a few times now and I'm still just in awe of how this came out. It's amazing, I can only imagine how it looks and feels in person

Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Alright guys, this took me much longer then I wanted. Had a few guests come over while filming so it will also explain why I missed a few things and went back

Please also excuse me in this... I totally look and sound like a meth addict.. you have to all understand, I was wicked excited for this lol

Really couldn’t go back an fake another unboxing so I just rolled with it

These “gRaffers” tape adapters are freak’n awesome!! I’m so excited over this little greeblie!

But what I love about it is you can install it, or remove it if you want to locked it back up with the tape

It also makes a great piece to display if you don’t want to put it on the actual V2.

BUT with it installed we now have a spinning emitter again just like it is in the pop culture quest video!!

Which means we can simulate more pictures!!

Can you tell I’m still wicked excited?!

I don’t know how I’m gonna go to bed now, gotta be up early...

Didn’t forget ya, I’ll write up something quick tomorrow for ya, simple stuff ;)

I've gone through this thread a few times now and I'm still just in awe of how this came out. It's amazing, I can only imagine how it looks and feels in person

Thank you very much for the kind comments. I put everything I had into this build. The V2 is everything to me... this one in particular saved my life, literally. So seeing it go was tough..

I got more in the works, Saturday afternoon I’ll be back in the shed.. acid dipping away and swatting mosquitos..

Thanks again for the positive support it means a lot to me!!

Ok gang, honest opinion on the glove

3c0d59c9ffa3dc49e469656d31544fda.jpg

2aafd734b7dad3a046da8382c585794f.jpg

e0d8d6bf5e6e666ee20a140e798ecb18.jpg

db1b2f2fbab2cc845c8a3101e0719c01.jpg

80b9edb85134dfc9c5deef0910b0a14c.jpg

4782d63c94ab907bf3b1fcecc860869b.jpg

Some reference

d57778f1b545573b8758b7c5111ea5c9.jpg

The seam line around the thumb part I think matched really really good

At first I thought there was a split in the cuff, but when he pulls it over the hand you can see there isn’t a split

3b5cb0e831a6e58c772fbfd1bac72b78.jpg

86344342d054bb50bdd2af6afbb8de6d.jpg

f3392a53e4e64732578c927fc5f5ec6e.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back