Looking for a Greeblie....Jumanji Ruby Roundhouse

Jaina_Organasolo

Hello lovely RPF ers...

I have been working on a Ruby Roundhouse costume (Jumanji) and am trying to identify a box on the Harness. The shape is so specific I believe it to be something rather than a sculpted piece covered in Carbon fibre. It's obvious that the buttons and joystick are Playstation.

I've had a few suggestions so far..likely culprits are retro gaming stuff or possbly a retro phone battery cover?

If anyone knows what this is, please shout up!

Thanks for looking.

greeblieruby by Julia Tromans,

View attachment RRH05.jpg
Hard to say what it is but the auction description says
resin, plastic, urethane, component features pieces from a PlayStation controller.
You can see all the surface distortion from the cf fabric under the urethane.

You can get carbon fiber looking stickers at the auto supply store.
Make a plastic or foam mock up of the shape and cover it.

In the making of vid on the DVD the costume designer says that D.J.s costume has bits of carbon fiber and PS pieces on his belt so most likely they used real carbon fiber since movie productions like to go expensive.

For Bravestone's pants they used the $250 (US made) pants instead of the $48 (Chinese knockoffs) both made of the same material, only difference is the logo on the side.

Whilst I can't find anything specific, and it's more than likely a custom part - it looks like it could potentially be some kind of carbon fibre key case?
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 23.52.58.png

Kinda related, I'm looking to replicate the belt, which also has similar greebles on it. Can I ask if you've managed to find an accurate "rhino skin" material for the belt? What did you come up with? I have one of the screen-used costumes from Propstore if you need any measurements. Mine didn't come with a belt (or the shoulder greeble!) though..

Oooh...Lucky You [emoji7]
I got a little frustrated that the promo auction picture has a belt on it but none of the costumes do that were sold.

I think the greebles are things covered in Carbon fibre and resin but what..who knows. Theres a real bumpy thing at the front. Theres decent FIDM photos floating about (with the gloves on backwards..lol) of the belt.

The buckle is a cobra buckle for sure.

As far as I can tell, the belt is the same leather as the harness, I'm not a leather expert but people have suggested a chrome tanned upholstery leather..so not sourced yet.

At this point I have SA boots, SA shorts (which my bum may not fit in), SA gloves and a mock-up of the basic top (which is being handed to a seamstress friend to do the hard stuff). I think I found the top perforated fabric but it's no longer avaliable.

Can you tell me if the perforated stuff is black or gun metal? I think it's Gunmetal.

I will happily keep this updated as/when/if I find things.
Kinda related, I'm looking to replicate the belt, which also has similar greebles on it. Can I ask if you've managed to find an accurate "rhino skin" material for the belt? What did you come up with? I have one of the screen-used costumes from Propstore if you need any measurements. Mine didn't come with a belt (or the shoulder greeble!) though..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also..If you dont mind me being cheeky, can you take a photo of the harness flat and maybe show how the little strap attaches to it across the front...It would help a ton. Measurements I will probably have to scale to me anyway.

Thank you.

Thanks for Confirming the Gunmetal..sadly I found the fabric I think but it is no longer being made and they can't order anymore, so I'm having to go black :(

Will let you know what I come up with leather wise. :)

I think we may have made that. I think it's actual Kevlar / Carbon weave in clear epoxy resin, over a vacuum formed piece. The black button was a large snap.

Thank You :)

If I know its made I can stop looking - are you sure the button is not a playstation joystick? It matches :)

I think we may have made that. I think it's actual Kevlar / Carbon weave in clear epoxy resin, over a vacuum formed piece. The black button was a large snap.

here's a few more more, and showing the harness inside out. I never realized till I got it, that it fastened in the front..!

The wrist wrap is actually half of a bandana / handkerchief, the cheapskates! lol.

ruby - 1 (2).jpgruby - 2 (1).jpgruby - 3 (1).jpgruby - 1 (1).jpg

Yes, Global Effects made this belt and Dwayne Johnson's belt.
Here is a picture of the vacuum form tools used for Ruby's belt buckle and vest piece. These were pieces we have in out tool collection or are part of a tool we had. Once vacuum formed in plastic, the parts were covered with the Carbon / Kevlar fabric you see under the tools in the picture. This material is normally used for composite layup (Like fiberglass) Once the plastic was covered with the fabric (Probably spray glued down) the whole piece was coated with clear epoxy resin (Bar top epoxy would work) The buckle piece was attached over a "Cobra " buckle. And, yes, all the buttons are from a PlayStation controller.
jumangi.jpgjumangi2.jpgjumangi3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back