Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
So whats your explanation for the water then ????? And Yoda is supposed to be a "Ghost". Why doesn't he help Luke fry Kylo a bit with his newly acquired power. That would have shocked Ren AND LUKE would not have had to DIE!!!! Why waste that energy burning a tree when he could have roasted Ren or even Snoke for that matter. Yoda acts like a bit of git to me.
I'm guessing you're not Taoist.

I literally watched a hypnotist convince a room full of people that one hand was holding a brick (causing their hand to drop) and the other a balloon (causing their hand to rise).

If people in the real world can be convinced that something they can't even see has a physical impact on them (weight, etc.) by a hypnotist, then I have absolutely zero problem suspending my disbelief that a Jedi can trick people into believing they are interacting with a physical object when they are not.

This is Star Wars!!??.....it's fantasy.....as you said,...they add bits on to the Force in every movie,....Obi-Wan sat on a log beside Luke on Dagobah in RotJ......but I think this movie just pushed things into"That's not how the Force works" territory....it jars & feels off

giphy.gif

J

So whats your explanation for the water then ????? And Yoda is supposed to be a "Ghost". Why doesn't he help Luke fry Kylo a bit with his newly acquired power. That would have shocked Ren AND LUKE would not have had to DIE!!!! Why waste that energy burning a tree when he could have roasted Ren or even Snoke for that matter. Yoda acts like a bit of git to me.

The big fans,. that "Love this movie".. cannot answer all the "hows" and "whys"..

Nore ,us critics, are able to either.. and I have no problem with alittle mystery...SW always had that.... but...

My problem with this film was, it just had too many to digest.

Did anyone else think it was cool that Abe Edmondson played a FO Officer,for those that don’t know who he is he was Vyvyan in The Young Ones.That made me grin every time I saw him.

Some of you may remember I got quite a bit of stick from a few people here when I pointed out that seemingly from nowhere everybody in the TFA seemed able to track every ship anywhere they were in the SW universe, and the likely repercussions of allowing that to happen.

I did spot when I watched Rogue One that they had sneaked in a revision of that idea when the " Hyperspace tracker" appeared in the secret project date files on Scarif. Didn't give it a code name though so we would immediately notice it , so very,very deliberate. I did wonder why they did and where they would go with it.
Now I know. Rian built most of his story around it .

But he REALLY didnt think about it at all.

Fuel has never been an issue in SW. Ever. Battle damaged hyperdrive engines, then yes (The Phantom Menace). Causing the sublight engines to fail by damaging and having to shut down the main reactor, then again yes ( The Blockade Runner in ANH). Mechanical problems with the Hyperdrive preventing the jump to lightspeed (The Millenium Falcon in TESB). But fuel ????

DId Rian even bother to check the Star Wars cross sections?? Most propulsion systems are linked to power cells and reactor cores, theres no huge fuel tanks as I recall and nearly all the ships can make multiple jumps into hyperspace. Theres never any mention about a pitstop to get gassed up in any of the mythology, or planets producing it, or tankers supplying it (like in BSG) or infact any problems with energy at all anywhere. They seemed to have cracked it.
So its a huge surprise when suddenly in the eight film it becomes an essential issue.

My immediate solution was, well if they need fuel then why doesn't one ship jump ahead to a fuel dump, arrange for a transport tanker to jump back to the fleet then jump away again? I mean they can't catch that ship, they said they couldn't despite it being completely obvious to everyone there were at least a few different ways they could go about it but the TRUTH is if Rian had asked anyone with any understanding they'd have torn his story to shreds.
Infact most of the underlying ideas behind the entire space chase are the weakest or most misleading pile of rubbish I've ever seen in a SW film. It was embarassing to watch. A single X wing attacking a Star Dreadnaught and nobody launches a Tie fighter from the dozens of SDs around it? Nobody fires a shot at it, yet they can pick off starships miles ahead of them later?

Talking of which I didn't have an issue with the fact there was a collison in a hyperspace jump in TLJ. What I did object to was the overwhelming devastation it caused. And the simple fact that its never been used before.
Why bother with a Death Star? Why bother even attacking a Deathstar when you can simply rig up a devasting hyperspace suicide attack everytime? Those Resistance Captains on the other starships that got slowly picked off one by one, why didn't any of them decide to turnaround and do the same thing? And ,after seeing BB8 suddenly drive the AT ST and wipe out dozens of stormtroopers, why not rig up loads of killer drone robots piloting asteroids with hyperspace engines to wipe out space docks, orbital weapons platforms and every habital city on every planet in the SW universe? After we see what happens in TLJ what point is there in having a massive space fleet when one single ship ramming at hyperspace speeds can destroy virtually the entire armarda?

The way Rian treated the space battles in TLJ was ridiculous and he resorted to some of the most banal scripting explanations to try and cover it up. In many ways its more damaging to the mythology of SW than anything else he did in that film.

Youre kidding me right? JJ brought up tons of questions in TFA that I liked, and was waiting 2 years to see where they go. You know, he is telling a story after all, and thats what this new trilogy is supposed to do. Out with the old, in with the new. Fine. I get it. It wasnt just *me* wanting things answered, its the entire point of a trilogy/story. What in gods name did they explore? Canto Bight? Im talking about PLOT points of TFA, you know, the new trilogy. If Anakins saber was worthless, how did it "call" to Rey in TFA? How did Maz even get it? Who is Snoke? Why is he so powerful? How did he scramble the remnants of the Empire into the FO? What caused Ben Solo to turn to the dark side? Who are Reys parents, why is she so adept in the force? There are a ton of things that JJ set up to find out, the creative and interesting part of TFA, to be rubbed out in TLJ by Rian. Like many have pointed out, its stupid, and not "edgy" or "fresh" or even fun. Not only that, but its a disservice to the fans, because all of their favorite characters go out with a whimper. And its not like this is the second in a trilogy of movies we have never seen before, there are 7 other movies to come out before this. Was Yoda so powerful in life that he can control the weather in death? Did Yoda know Rey took the books, and thats why he burned the tree? Luke just died of exhaustion? Cmon. JJ now has to figure out how to end the mess Rian did. And as far as we know, this is the only trilogy we get with these new characters.

And +1 to why they didnt have a droid pilot the ship to jump to light speed into the other ships. They had 2 others ships to do that with, why the last one? The volley of lasers drove me insane. What happened to tractor beams too? Why didnt the FO use those?

Colin Trevorrow could have been sacked because he was someone who had these (our) concerns & he voiced they were going in the wrong direction

J

Still got no answer about the ice fox...

Since Crait was a salt planet, and not snow.. I sort of wondered if the Foxes were actually crystalline and not ice?

They did go to lengths to point out that it wasn't snow on the ground... both with the Resistance fighter tasting it and remarking "salt!" and with Finn and others flying open cockpit ships with no cold weather gear on.

So I've kind of wondered if they were meant to have not been ice necessarily but maybe crystalline?

Since Crait was a salt planet, and not snow.. I sort of wondered if the Foxes were actually crystalline and not ice?

They did go to lengths to point out that it wasn't snow on the ground... both with the Resistance fighter tasting it and remarking "salt!" and with Finn and others flying open cockpit ships with no cold weather gear on.

So I've kind of wondered if they were meant to have not been ice necessarily but maybe crystalline?

Yes,,....it was called the Crystal Fox through production

I read or hears somewhere....that because of the environment on that planet, it had evolved with salt as it's main dietary intake

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin Trevorrow could have been sacked because he was someone who had these (our) concerns & he voiced they were going in the wrong direction

J
Youre probably right, and what you just said really took the wind out of my sails regarding the direction they are going with Star Wars. I dont have any desire to see 9, let alone the new trilogy Rian is working on. What a bummer.

And when someone says "but the old movies still exist", when they release something that sucks, tarnishes the legacy of the original product. Tell me after watching the prequels you dont think of Darth Vader being a whiny little turd. Tell me you see it through the same eyes as you did before. Same thing with Luke. It takes away from the original movies because you see what he becomes... his sacrifice was for naught. :facepalm

Has anyone brought up the fact that they went to go hire a slicer when Astromechs can hack into pretty much anything?

Also, is BB8 in the cardboard box another Kojima-related easter egg? Snake does that in Metal Gear Solid.

I called them icefox yes... but I know it was salt..

My question was why was there one that cared about waiting for the people to follow it... I think the same one that stopped running in the salt, to turn and look at the explosions

- - - Updated - - -

Yes,,....it was called the Crystal Fox through production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLGTo9tPPco

I read or hears somewhere....that because of the environment on that planet, it had evolved with salt as it's main dietary intake

J

Im cutting back.. as of right now... my salt intake

I called them icefox yes... but I know it was salt..

My question was why was there one that cared about waiting for the people to follow it... I think the same one that stopped running in the salt, to turn and look at the explosions

e

Ahhh, Okie. Sorry... I'd missed the original question, and didn't mean to sound snarky. :)

It is kind of funny that it seemed to be looking to see if someone was following it. I guess we will have to make up our own assumptions.... so really it's whatever you like I guess. Perhaps The Force was influencing them to help save out heroes?

Ahhh, Okie. Sorry... I'd missed the original question, and didn't mean to sound snarky. :)

It is kind of funny that it seemed to be looking to see if someone was following it. I guess we will have to make up our own assumptions.... so really it's whatever you like I guess. Perhaps The Force was influencing them to help save out heroes?

Oh my good Lord... Another question that has to be answered by my imagination:confused...this movie makes my brain hurt... :ninja

With all do respect to RJ and Disney.. I personally did not go to the movies (spend money and eat extra butter popcorn) to have to make up my own movie in my head... I do that enough already...lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back