SNL Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base

All the buckles need replaced, just like yours. So far I've only found replacements for the front two locking buckles. I'm going to buy some neon orange fabric, open a seam and place it over the black padding inside.

I haven't written the guy about getting a more accurate one in exchange because unfortunately i've already started work on mine. Technically, he didn't lie to anyone. The vests are the same as in the pictures for the sale. Black buckles and all.

If i can find some fricken paint that will stick to the buckles I'm going to paint them. I'll remove them not by removing the seams on the straps, but by cutting a small gap into them where the straps wrap around them, that way I can slip them off and then back on after painting. They'll end up cut looking like this.

https://www.ahh.biz/hardware/milita.../locks_ladder_repair_25mm_plastic_milspec.php

Last edited:
Finally getting around to sharing some pics of my Matt - and my son as Matt's alter ego...
Matt and Kylo.jpgMatt and Kylo 02.JPG
One thing I've noticed is most of the glasses posted aren't the correct shape... they should be flatter on the bottom and droop down across the top. Even mine aren't perfect but close.
IMG_6560.JPG

Cheers
Steven

Egon Spengler

It's true that he posted a picture, but he's still calling it the SNL vest and it's not. And that's what we were all expecting.

At the very least maybe he can get the right orange hardware and/or provide a reasonable discount for the discordance. Especially since we all have to do work either way to get the vests right.
mluder

Nice work. Where did you get that wig?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'd be very happy if someone could find the ladder locks in orange. I can easily open some seams and add orange fabric over the black padding. Just sucks that we sepnt the money on something inaccurate.

Yeah I'd be very happy if someone could find the ladder locks in orange. I can easily open some seams and add orange fabric over the black padding. Just sucks that we sepnt the money on something inaccurate.

Yeah, I thought I finally had a mostly screen accurate build. Even after replacing the hardware it will never be the "real" thing.

I know what you mean, but as long as I can replace or repaint the locks and add neon over the padding I'll be happy with it. Just wish I didn't need to.

Yeah, it'll work for what I need it for. Conventions/fun/charity.

I think the next thing I'll work on is trying to figure out what the "wrench" that gets kicked is.

More experimentation. This time I'm going to paint them white with Kyrlon fusion, let that dry, and then hit it with orange plasti-dip spray.

Just to see the durability I've hit one of the buckles I've already bought replacements for (the front snapping ones) with the plastidip all on its own.

Fingers crossed.

I also contacted the seller. He says the manufacturer of these packs only have the buckles in black now. Orange is no more. Sucks.

More experimentation. This time I'm going to paint them white with Kyrlon fusion, let that dry, and then hit it with orange plasti-dip spray.

Just to see the durability I've hit one of the buckles I've already bought replacements for (the front snapping ones) with the plastidip all on its own.

Fingers crossed.

I also contacted the seller. He says the manufacturer of these packs only have the buckles in black now. Orange is no more. Sucks.

Funny how they seem to have ran out right when the Matt craze started. What a coincidence....:rolleyes

Anyways, hopefully some kind of paint will work. I don't want to have to get them reproduced in a material that can be painted.

So far, and I need to test it further, but it seems like a nice coat of white Kylon Fusion on the buckles, and lightly layering waiting about 30 minutes between coats, of orange plasti-dip spray seems to be pretty durable. It can be scratched off but it takes a good amount of force and is nothing the buckles should encounter while being worn, but I don't recommend it for the two front snap buckles as it does peel off from the tension.

Thanks. I searched through hundreds of wigs and I am positive I found the right style. The wig I have is ginger blonde but I found a better color (same style but it was listed after I bought this)

search terms on eBay
Butterscotch Golden short women ladies daily natural fluffy Wig FTLD167

the last code should get you right to it. They are not shipping right now but will in a few weeks after Chinese New Year.

I just got one of these wigs. Looks great. It's definitely close enough to what is on screen. Sheds a little bit. But I guess that's okay for the price.

The cap+wig squeeze my head a little too much. I need to try a larger cap first. But there is a possibility that this wig won't work with a head larger than 24". Mine is about 24 1/2"

You should be able to snip one of the elastic bands in the back to increase size. I haven't because it fits me.

So far, and I need to test it further, but it seems like a nice coat of white Kylon Fusion on the buckles, and lightly layering waiting about 30 minutes between coats, of orange plasti-dip spray seems to be pretty durable. It can be scratched off but it takes a good amount of force and is nothing the buckles should encounter while being worn, but I don't recommend it for the two front snap buckles as it does peel off from the tension.
Has anyone else confirmed the success of this or another way to paint the buckles (or buy new ones). I ordered my vest and it is on the way, but gotta change those buckles...so bummed(it was a bit pricey).

Well, going to give it another shot. I'm going to "paint" the buckles with superglue and then paint them white, then neon orange. Wish me luck.

I don't think the seller on Ebay should advertise it as a SNL Matt the Radar Technician vest anymore as it's not accurate at all. Here are the differences I noticed
and why I am waiting for the original one to come back in.

1: Matts vest does not have black buckles (I bet they are a bitch to paint and replace)
2: Matts vest has a much finer mesh, if it is mesh at all.

matt_vest.jpg

Paul

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back