Survivor Second Chances

The challenge in and if itself wasn't dangerous. Joe passed out, likely because he was holding his head back for so long. He just had eaten a BBQ so it wasn't what that doc said about low blood sugar. I miss the days when they actually starved these people. Now everyone looks like they actually gain weight and are given ample grooming opportunities.

Well, I still see people losing weight. Spencer's girlfriend commented to him last night, "You look so skinny!". And Abi-Maria's figure is en fuego after 30 days of Survivor. Not sayin' she didn't have a great figure at the start of the show, she did. I'm just sayin' her butt and abs are in primo shape now. Did you see her walking into the ocean last night?! I think you'll see the stark contrast in all of the finalists figures when you watch the Reunion Show. But I agree with you, I like when they starve these people. And I like it when it rains non-stop on them! lol

You mentioned grooming. They must allow the girls to shave their pits on a fairly regular basis, cuz I don't see anything growin' there on these girls. And nobody ever has gross teeth, either. When Tasha smiles I wonder how can her teeth look so perfect and clean and white? Not just her, but many castaways this season and other seasons. The producers like to show us footage of castaways using sticks to pick their teeth, but I suspect there's some brushing of some sort goin' on behind the scenes.

One last thing, bryan, you still have the best signature on this site! I say it to myself all the time. :thumbsup

The Wook

ps~To Guri, that sucks. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I watch the show on cbsdotcom, which they make available each Thursday. And when I went to google to get to cbsdotcom (i shoulda gone there directly), my eyes wandered ever so briefly, and I saw thumbnails of Savage on all these news articles. I looked away and watched the ep, but sure enough, Savage went home. I feel for ya.

I saw an interview with Joe and he said after the BBQ he became ill with a stomach bug. Had a fever, chills, and the like. So it seems like he was severely dehydrated going into that challenge. Pretty dangerous to be in that condition and standing in the hot sun for so long, having to focus like that. Luckily he recovered. If he wasn't in good shape, it could've been worse.

I saw an interview with Joe and he said after the BBQ he became ill with a stomach bug. Had a fever, chills, and the like. So it seems like he was severely dehydrated going into that challenge. Pretty dangerous to be in that condition and standing in the hot sun for so long, having to focus like that. Luckily he recovered. If he wasn't in good shape, it could've been worse.

That makes more sense. I will say this, and it drives my wife nuts as she likes manufactured drama and danger in reality TV, but these people are NEVER in any real danger. I'll miss Joe but he was a garunteed $1M winner and had to go. Now it's really wide open. Abi reminds me of my ex-wife, small, cute, and TROUBLE.

That makes more sense. I will say this, and it drives my wife nuts as she likes manufactured drama and danger in reality TV, but these people are NEVER in any real danger. I'll miss Joe but he was a garunteed $1M winner and had to go. Now it's really wide open. Abi reminds me of my ex-wife, small, cute, and TROUBLE.

Oh, I gotta disagree, Bryan. We've seen many people medi-vacced outta the game over the years. We've seen people pass out from the dangerous trifecta of heat exhaustion, malnutrition, and sleep deprivation, not to mention people falling out of coconut trees, and falling face first into fires, with burns so bad their skin is hanging in long strings off their fingers. You're right, there is a lot of manufactured drama. But there's also real danger on Survivor.

The Wook

Oh, I gotta disagree, Bryan. We've seen many people medi-vacced outta the game over the years. We've seen people pass out from the dangerous trifecta of heat exhaustion, malnutrition, and sleep deprivation, not to mention people falling out of coconut trees, and falling face first into fires, with burns so bad their skin is hanging in long strings off their fingers. You're right, there is a lot of manufactured drama. But there's also real danger on Survivor.

The Wook

Yeah, more so in the past.

Dehydration and sunstroke are nothing to scoff at. In general, I'd say yes, the participants are in little danger. But, that combo, then add the fall on top of it could've led to pretty horrible results. Now, I don't know whether Joe disclosed his condition prior to the challenge and received medical clearance to participate. I'd speculate he didn't as its doubtful any medical professional would allow that. Most likely some producer said, "hey, are you ok?" and he said yeah, and that was it.

Just watched it. Sad to see Joe go, but everyone was gunning for him. It was funny for me to see the reason Joe gave to vote out Abi, but really there was no other person who was more of a threat that he could try to point to so he didn't even seem to ahve a way to try.

That scene with Joe and his father had me tearing up, though; so sweet.... and then Spencer and telling his girlfriend he loved her over and over... D'awwww!!!

Tasha is my favorite girl right now but I just KNEW as soon as they say, 'all girl alliance' that SOMEONE is going to turn on them. It never works. GIrls are rarely if ever loyal to each other.

After last weeks 2 hour show, this week seemed so short!

Reality TV is something where I would rarely, if ever, want to see the same episode twice, but I am seriously thinking about going back and getting maybe seasons 1-3 again. Just to see how much the game has evolved. It seems like a lifetime ago.

I still remember how I got into it--someone had some inside info on it several months before it ever even aired and told me about it. I thought it sounded stupid. One night there was absolutely nothing else on tv and I flipped over to it. I think it was about the second or third episode of the first season. Was instantly hooked. Haven't missed an episode since.

What was your first experience with Survivor?

My husband and I didn't start watching Season 1 until it was a few episodes in. We've watched every season since then. And all of LOST, which I see as a scripted version. haha!

I don't remember every episode, though and I forget a lot of people from various seasons. I would probably watch a season or two over again if it ever went off the air, but they have 2 new seasons a year, so there's no need. I can't watch more TV than we already do as it is! (still behind on Agents of Shield and Once Upon A TIme)

I've seen every episode since the beginning of Season 2. There have been about a half dozen occasions over the years where I watched an episode twice before watching the next episode. Perhaps 3 occasions when I was confused by what happened on an episode, and the other 3 or 4 times were episodes in which Russell had so thoroughly outsmarted his competition, on his way towards blindsiding the top dog in the majority alliance which had been gunning for him. I would just sit and marvel at the seemingly impossible things he was able to accomplish with virtually no allies, but only through sheer willpower, strategic maneuvering, and social manipulation. Russell was the only player I've ever seen who made me question myself, "Could I beat him?". I rank Russell's first 2 seasons as the 2 best seasons of television--all genres of shows--I've ever seen. It's the most riveted I've ever been in front of a TV.

The Wook

ps~Some day I want to get the complete first season. Even though I know how it ends--I've seen clips of that "snake eats rat" speech many times over the years--do you think I still will enjoy it?

Last edited:
I rank Russell's first 2 seasons as the 2 best seasons of television--all genres of shows--I've ever seen. It's the most riveted I've ever been in front of a TV.

Blech. :lol

ps~Some day I want to get the complete first season. Even though I know how it ends--I've seen clips of that "snake eats rat" speech many times over the years--do you think I still will enjoy it?

It will seem mild now... back then none of us had any idea how strong the feelings run on survivor or how difficult it really is or how sometimes people just have 'moments' but will actually not hate someone after the show... none of the people on the show had even WATCHED it, so they had no idea either...

So when she said that it was jarring and jaw droppingly awful and cruel, even if understandable and some were glad she said it.

And all of the things Richard did to deserve it will likely seem petty compared to your favorite dude.

If I went back and watched it now it would be for the same reasons you give, Laspectors - to compare how the game has changed. But I think that will be the biggest entertainment factor... other than that it will be a bunch of boring scenes of them trying to figure out how to build fire and build a shelter and eat... all the things they know we don't care much about anymore.

Blech. :lol

Knew that would get rise outta you. :) But it was not hyperbole for effect, it's truly how I feel about those two seasons.

I wonder, if your husband felt the same exact way about Russell that I do--hypothetically speaking--would you have divorced him after Russell's 1st season, or 2nd season? lol

The Wook

I should point out, an all-girl alliance has made it to the end: Season 6/Amazon. It was my first season (I only watched about 4 or 5 seasons in full, but I watch episodes every so often now), and they were specifically noting on the show that an all-girl alliance had never made it to the end, and it was a first. Now, if only Christy had've made up her mind (or even lied to both sides) and not gotten voted out at final 5...

I know the editing can have a significant effect on how a person comes across to us in our living rooms, but I've got to say that Abi-Maria seems like she has matured a great deal since her first season. I hear a lot out of Spencer and others about Abi's instability, immaturity, and batschit craziness, but that's not who I was seeing this season--particularly of late. I think she's shown remarkable restraint in not lashing out to those who belittle her. I like Abi, and I'm sorry she's gone. She seems like the kind of girl I'd like to date.

The Wook

This is the best spoiler ever! I think I might start watching the season again!

I know the editing can have a significant effect on how a person comes across to us in our living rooms, but I've got to say that Abi-Maria seems like she has matured a great deal since her first season. I hear a lot out of Spencer and others about Abi's instability, immaturity, and batschit craziness, but that's not who I was seeing this season--particularly of late. I think she's shown remarkable restraint in not lashing out to those who belittle her. I like Abi, and I'm sorry she's gone. She seems like the kind of girl I'd like to date.

The Wook

So, according to an interview with Probst, next week's finale is supposed to be "historic." The guesses I've seen so far have been
2 HII's getting used at Tribal, possibly eliminating all votes
or
a tie at Final Tribal Council

The former would be interesting to see how they deal with.

I would agree that Abi didn't go as wacko on camera as they showed in the past, but she was downright mean and nasty quite a few times and was always a potential to go off. The only thing that kept her calm, I think, was her friendship with Wentworth.

When Tasha and Jeremy ASKED her if they could speak alone, I was thinking - they do not get it at all. You never, ever, ever, say that to a crazy paranoid person.

And yet, she felt so safe that she voted for Keith instead of Tasha? Something was happening there that we didn't see. That made no sense at all.

The finale is on Wednesday, that's what I heard.

Dessa, I agree with your second guess. Should be interesting!

I'm hoping it's Tasha and Spenser with the tie.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back