Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

To those who still want Supes to be a boy scout: is there room in this world for that anymore? I mean, would anyone pay to see that movie? I imagine some strapping 50s stereotype telling me to stay in school and eat my Wheaties would be a really lame movie. The world has moved on. It's a much more cynical, jaded place. Nobody who can read actually thinks the words "truth, justice, and the American Way" unironically belong together anymore. Old-school nice guy Supes would be a catastrophically cornball box office bomb, and rightly so.

I would because that is Superman to me throughout my whole life. There is always room for someone who can do good for mankind. It's fine that the world is more jaded and cynical place. I'm not asking that he states "Truth, Justice, and the American Way." However, I would expect that his words and actions stand for truth and justice and that high road approach he's always seemed to hold to himself.

I love that Marvel at least lets the characters be who they are despite what people think of them who inhabit the world with them. They show all that speculation and opinions of the people in the background, but what's at the forefront of the stories are what is happening TO their world where they are desperately needed despite the psychological side of why they should/shouldn't be here. It was stated in The Avengers that they were there to fight the battles they (the people) couldn't. Earth's mightiest heroes. Yeah people are gonna be both pissed off and happy of their existence on both ends of the spectrum, but at the core there's stuff happening bigger than them (the people) that they cannot fend off.

Whether the people love him or hate him, the world obviously NEEDED Superman, or Zod and his people would have destroyed Earth. There wasn't a force on our planet that could have stopped them from it either, and no one can refute that their very existence hinged on whether Superman could stop Zod's people or not. Given yes, if he wasn't there to begin with, Earth might have been completely bypassed as a target, I get that. Could have would have should have... It is what it is and with all that has happened they definitely need him now.

Zod and his people would never have even come to earth if Kal El wasn't sent there.

I am reminded of what the school teacher said to the Doctor in the family of blood, "If you had never come here, would anyone have died today?"

Zod and his people would never have even come to earth if Kal El wasn't sent there.

I am reminded of what the school teacher said to the Doctor in the family of blood, "If you had never come here, would anyone have died today?"

Maybe not then, but Zod did need a new habitable planet to start a rebirth of Krypton's people and was willing to wipe out everyone on Earth to do that. What if Kal El wasn't there and they found Earth later?

What if isn't the plot of man of steel though.

There are untold billions of planets in the universe, without a reason to come to earth, the chances of Zod and his men picking us at random are infinitesimal.

Hell, even in Superman II Zod wouldn't have come to earth if it wasn't for superman.

True but maybe it's best that they came to earth. You are right if superman hadn't been sent in that capsule they wouldn't have come to earth, but they would have completely destroyed another planet full of innocent creatures. So it's probably best that they came to earth, otherwise they probably never would have been stopped.

Where are y'all getting that Zod only came to Earth in MOS because Kal El was here? He was following a list of old Kryptonian colonies to try to find any other survivors of his race. The crashed colony ship that Kal El found is the reason Zod came to Earth. Dunno if that's why Jor El knew about this planet, but I would presume so. Regardless, Zod didn't know the son of Jor El was here when he arrived and started trying to make Earth the new Krypton.

--Jonah

Are you kiidding?

Watch the film again, the first thing Zod does when he arrives on earth is broadcast on every tv in the world that an alien already lives among them, and for him to turn himself over to them.

Remember the whole codex thing?

That is what he was looking for, and he knew the son of Jor El had it with him.

Hell, even in Superman II Zod wouldn't have come to earth if it wasn't for superman.

It has been a while since ive seen it but im pretty sure they dint know until the president while kneeling before zod yelled in the camera, save us superman. Followed by the infamous Kneel before Zod line ofc :p (Altho could take into account that if superman dint throw the bomb into space they wouldnt have been set free in the first place...)

Altho you might be right about MoS cus even tho i loved the movie i have only seen it twice So would have to rewatch.

Yeah boy I really hope we get to see more scenes of people arguing over whether Thor should be allowed to help defend Earth since his father had something to do with that tesseract ending up here from Asgard. FALSE GOD!!!!!! if it wasn't for the family of Odin we wouldn't have been in this mess!

Yeah boy I really hope we get to see more scenes of people arguing over whether Thor should be allowed to help defend Earth since his father had something to do with that tesseract ending up here from Asgard. FALSE GOD!!!!!! if it wasn't for the family of Odin we wouldn't have been in this mess!

There's some fun irony in your post lol

Jerry Siegel was once asked where he came up with the idea of Superman in the 1930s, and he answered with "Being unemployed and worried during the depression and knowing hopelessness and fear. Hearing and reading of the oppression and slaughter of helpless, oppressed Jews in Nazi Germany". Understandable when you realize that Jerry Siegal was himself Jewish. So to honor his creation that stemmed from such harsh times, Batman v Superman features a bunch of soldiers wearing World War II Nazi helmets with Superman's logo brandished on their shoulders... who appear to be serving Superman.

nazisupes_zpszg2dinpf.png

I picked up on the helmets too,and they stick out if you know such things because the rest of their equipment is pretty much modern military SWAT and BAM! a Nazi helmet? hn..odd.

I honestly wouldn't read too deeply into that.

I can almost guarantee you that they needed to pick up helmets in bulk for the soldiers and the Nazi style was the cheapest/easiest to find from a prop warehouse.

Jerry Siegel was once asked where he came up with the idea of Superman in the 1930s, and he answered with "Being unemployed and worried during the depression and knowing hopelessness and fear. Hearing and reading of the oppression and slaughter of helpless, oppressed Jews in Nazi Germany". Understandable when you realize that Jerry Siegal was himself Jewish. So to honor his creation that stemmed from such harsh times, Batman v Superman features a bunch of soldiers wearing World War II Nazi helmets with Superman's logo brandished on their shoulders... who appear to be serving Superman.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/lordJeyl/nazisupes_zpszg2dinpf.png

who's to say that this isn't:

A: dream/nightmare sequence

B: group of actual Neo-Nazi type soldiers who have latched onto the ideology of Superman being the Master Race, and decided to follow and worship him on their own.

I just do not see them giving Superman Nazi soldiers that he approves of. Also, just because they kneel to him doesn't mean he wants them to be kneeling to him.

I don't know how/where/when they fit in the film but it IS odd since you'd have to go looking for WWII era German helmets,now maybe thirty plus years ago? yea I could see them being the one choice besides American pot helmets (maybe could snag some Brit ones though) but now days?

Um no,the easiest to find would be some type of kevlar ballistic helmet,so a WWII Nazi job sticks out a lot.

Lemme go look at the trailer again-be back.

Okay dunno why but that scene just looks so familiar to me,it also reminds me of North Africa during the second world war.

And for what's worth they're using German G36 carbines so maybe some weird alternate history?

Guess we shall see.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking forward to this.
It gives me a new appreciation for MoS.
Not that I like MoS any better now, but I appreciate it a little more.

I don't know how/where/when they fit in the film but it IS odd since you'd have to go looking for WWII era German helmets,now maybe thirty plus years ago? yea I could see them being the one choice besides American pot helmets (maybe could snag some Brit ones though) but now days?

Um no,the easiest to find would be some type of kevlar ballistic helmet,so a WWII Nazi job sticks out a lot.

They aren't going to buy REAL helmets. Nazi or otherwise.. It could cost a fortune.

A shop that I worked at was hired to provide helmets in the past, and after some scouting a local prop house had a surplus of reproduction Nazi helmets. We ended up making a custom lid and producing them for the film, but if they didn't have the budget they'd have had repurposed Nazi buckets as well.

As I said, I'm sure the costumers went out and found the easiest and cheapest helmets they could in bulk, and they were reproduction Nazi helmets.

I know someone who worked on the costumes for the movie and I'll ask what his take on it is.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back