Star Wars Anthology (Boba Fett Origin)

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Rumor: Boba Fett Origin)

I think it'd be cool to see Daniel Keys Moran's story about Boba Fett from "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" played out on the screen, especially now that Harrison Ford is old enough to play an older Han Solo. Moral characters who are put into morally gray situations are always interesting to watch.

I think that'd be awesome.

SB

Lucasfilm needs to make this easy. Joe Johnston has gone on record recently sayuing he wants to do a Fett film. He helped build the Fett costume, directed the Rocketeer and Captain America: The First Avenger. Let him have it!

He not only helped build the costume but also was integral in designing the character. I am a great fan of Johnston the artist, although perhaps less so of Johnston the director...but he's considered the "father of Boba Fett" and has expressed his interest so it would seem logical. I think he has a better grasp than most in regards to Fett.

Lucasfilm needs to make this easy. Joe Johnston has gone on record recently sayuing he wants to do a Fett film. He helped build the Fett costume, directed the Rocketeer and Captain America: The First Avenger. Let him have it!

But he also gave us Jurassic Park III.

I see Fett as the Wolverine of the Star Wars universe. He's a cool character in concept, with a mysterious background, but once you know the "real" story, he won't be anywhere near as interesting.

I would rather they not even go into his background, honestly. We've gotten too much of that already.

They should start the film with someone blasting a hole in the top of the Sarlac and pulling Fett out, as he crawls weakly on the ground someone we don't see pulls the helmet off his head, says "That belongs to me" then kicks him back in.

Then you see the helmet being put on another suit of mandalor armour and the voice sounds like the Fett we used to know before he was redubbed.

Haha! Interesting idea! There had been some rumors of possibly retconning the character, either by making "Boba Fett" a mantle that gets passed along (which might make more sense post-ROTJ) or something a bit similar to your idea, where someone kills the clone and takes the name for himself. The old EU strongly hinted that "Boba Fett" likely wasn't this guy's real name anyways but that's all gone now. I personally wouldn't mind if they did something like that but I doubt they will. I think Pablo Hidalgo even said something along those lines though I suppose things can change.

I see Fett as the Wolverine of the Star Wars universe. He's a cool character in concept, with a mysterious background, but once you know the "real" story, he won't be anywhere near as interesting.

Like the Space Jockey in Alien. I was far more happy seeing them as a mysterious alien we knew nothing about that was somehow fused to a chair. Once you find out its just a bald guy in a suit all the coolness goes out the window!

I agree that the mystery is important. I will NEVER get over the force being explained as "midi-Chlorians"! ruined it for me! lol
glunark, I LOVE this idea! it would be very kewl to see something like this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Right, either you leave it mysterious/mystical, or you don't rely on it at all. I thought the explanation of the Force worked fine. It's basically magic. Cool. I can get behind that. But don't then mix your magic with pseudoscience. It's like trying to explain a joke. I already got the punchline. Further explanation just ruins it.

Meh.
Boba Fett was one of my favorite characters as a kid, but I despise what George did with him in the prequels.
Completely destroyed what could and should have been a really cool character to explore.
Can't get excited about this. Couldn't care less.

Meh.
Boba Fett was one of my favorite characters as a kid, but I despise what George did with him in the prequels.
Completely destroyed what could and should have been a really cool character to explore.
Can't get excited about this. Couldn't care less.

See, that's the thing. I don't think Lucas' explanation that Fett is himself a clone of another bounty hunter whose father was murdered by Jedi and who takes up his mantle is -- in and of itself -- at all problematic. It's one of many possibilities for a cool origin story. The problem was George's awful direction of a child actor and the goofy script. "Get him, dad! Get him! Fire!"

As with many other aspects of the prequels, the general idea isn't bad. The problem is in translating that idea to the screen. Consider an alternative where Boba Fett as a child exhibits no childish characteristics at all, but is almost more like a young Spartan warrior or something -- treated as and expected to behave like an adult warrior. He never has a childhood, he's taught combat from birth, basically, and his father is equally revered and feared by him. Think about a character like Kurt Russel's in Soldier.

Instead, Lucas basically had him portrayed and written as your average kid, and it just comes across as corny. Same problem with Anakin as a child. The portrayal came across more like "Adorable Sitcom Moppet." The concept, though, is still decent. Anakin starts as an innocent and ends as a monster (only to be redeemed at the end by his own son). A more down-to-earth protrayal (one which, for example, excludes stuff like "Yipee!!") would've worked better.

Regardless of how we may feel as individual fans towards these characters and if their story's should remain shrouded in some sense of mystery, Disney bought these character IP's and will make efforts to monetize them. And that's pretty much it, everything else is navel gazing.

Don't get me wrong, pre-prequels I would have been totally on board with a movie about how Han Solo and Fett first met.
I always imagined they had a history of competing for bounties, hated one another, but were often forced to work together because they both worked for the same crime boss.
Plus, since I'd always imagined that Han rescued Chewie from Fett on a slaving deal gone all kinds of wrong, Chewie knows Fett, too, and the dynamic between the three of them could be all kinds of spaghetti-western cool.

I never needed to see Fett as a child. And now that I have, I can't unsee it.
The mystique behind Fett is ruined. He'll never be cool again.
Now all I'll ever see is that dumb kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of how we may feel as individual fans towards these characters and if their story's should remain shrouded in some sense of mystery, Disney bought these character IP's and will make efforts to monetize them. And that's pretty much it, everything else is navel gazing.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum.
My bad.

It's understandable and expected that Disney wants to make money but I feel like we can get still have a good Fett movie without delving any more into how "he came to be". An origins story is not necessary, in my opinion. His presence was totally unnecessary in AOTC (and even TCW) but the damage is done. Let's just leave any "origins" story at that (but please lose the Kiwi accent). I still think "The Man With No Trilogy" would be a good model to follow in regards to Fett.

It's understandable and expected that Disney wants to make money but I feel like we can get still have a good Fett movie without delving any more into how "he came to be". An origins story is not necessary, in my opinion. He was totally unnecessary in AOTC but let's just leave any "origins" story at that. I still think "The Man With No Trilogy" would be a good model to follow in regards to Fett.

I agree, which makes me wonder if the "origin" part of this story may not really refelect what they have planned. But it is true there are folks at LucasFilm who would like to re-boot the character by having the Boba we met in he CW and AOTC be killed off and a new person take the armor prior to ESB.

Oh wow. I had heard rumors of this but wasn't sure how factual it was. I'm conflicted on the matter. On the one hand, I dislike Boba's presence in AOTC and TCW but on the other hand, I think it could be a slippery slope if they start retconning and rebooting things that are already established as canon (whether we like it or not). Where would it end? Admittedly, if the rumor is true that the man we see in TESB killed the clone and took his name, that technically wouldn't invalidate what has already been established prior. How would that be portrayed on screen? Would it be shown or just mentioned? Clarification would probably be needed.

If they rerelease the OT and Tem Morrison's rather stilted VO is gone and Jason Wingreen's is restored, that will be telling! Lol!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back