Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

I wouldn't mind a poster of that one!

The lens flare in the first jjtrek was horrendous...

It was.

We all know it.

(I love jjtrek and most other Trek all the way back to the original series. Just not as much as OT SW)

I GARAUNTEE that Star Wars ep7 will have less lens flare than Star Wars ep1....

Period.

Well this anyone did watch it a second time, and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth.

Just because you hate something, dont assume everyone else shares your opinion.

Yeah I own both JJTreks on blu and having watched them multiple times. I love them.

Ben

Also sick of hearing the whine about not building starships in space.

You don't build submarines underwater.

Not the same thing. For one thing there is no need to build a sub underwater, it doesn't serve any practical purpose to do so. Secondly, it's physically not possible to build a sub underwater even if we wanted to. A starship, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast and should, realistically, be built in space or at least assembled in space from components built on Earth because you're wasting a lot less energy and effort doing so due to the lack of gravity in space. Of course that is until JJ turned the Enterprise into an oversized SSN which also serves no practical purpose what so ever.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
To me, building the enterprise on earth, using it as a submarine and doing all those canon-defying beaming tricks is akin to someone coming along and making a movie where batman has Superman's powers.

Or its akin to someone in the 21st century knowing everything about starship building in the 23rd.

I doubt the guys who went up in the first hot air balloon could wrap their heads around the feasibility of the space shuttle.

Off the top of my head in TOS the enterprise;
Flew in atmosphere in earth low enough to be filmed by a starfighter.
Was modified to travel between galaxies cruising at warp 15.
Was shrunk down to the size of a model, and subject to gravity at the same time.
Was held in place by a giant god hand.
Got shot multiple times on an almost weekly basis without ever showing signs of damage.
Flew near dark stars with no ill effects.
Time travelled.

Basically the enterprise did everything the script required it to do that week, but none of that was in a JJ film so I guess its ok.

Also sick of hearing the whine about not building starships in space.

You don't build submarines underwater.
Invalid comparison. Utterly. A submarine is not trying to break Earth's gravity to operate in its intended environment, masses several dozen times less, has the buoyant effect of salt water to help it maintain appropriate depth, etc. A staple of both science-fiction and planned long-range space missions for decades, on the other hand, has been building a ship never intended to operate in atmosphere or gravity outside of both. Space stations with null-gravity furnaces to make perfect alloys with no settling. Microgravity assisting in moving massive components more easily. Mining asteroids for raw materials so as to use less energy/fuel to get it to the construction site. And so on.

What I've seen in Trek fiction over the years had, around the TOS/pre-TOS era, the primary hulls built on the ground and boost into space on their impulse engines to be mated in synchronously-orbiting drydocks with the warp engines that were some 90% of the ship's mass (and the secondary hulls that supported them, where applicable). YOu wanna build something the size of a movie studio lot, meant to operate in space, and massing fifty times more than a modern aircraft carrier on some scaffolding outside of Riverside, Iowa, go ahead. It won't make it not about the worst approach for such an endeavor. :p

Flew in atmosphere in earth low enough to be filmed by a starfighter.
Not that low deliberately, and climbed to altitude ASAP.

Was modified to travel between galaxies cruising at warp 15.
By ultra-advanced aliens.

Was shrunk down to the size of a model, and subject to gravity at the same time.
By ultra-advanced, extradimensional aliens.

Was held in place by a giant god hand.
By an ultra-advanced alien once worshipped as a god on Earth thousands of years before.

Got shot multiple times on an almost weekly basis without ever showing signs of damage.
Okay, that one I'll have to check on to determine the actual spans between various combats...

Flew near dark stars with no ill effects.
This one I'll have to abstain on, as I (and very few people, really) have any notion how close is too close.

Time travelled.
This one I'll give you, as time travel has almost never been depicted well in fiction, and Star Trek slings conflicting and mutually-exclusive models of how it might conceivably work into the same mix. Any one element I'd want to fix in Trek, it's the time-travel stuff.

Basically the enterprise did everything the script required it to do that week, but none of that was in a JJ film so I guess its ok.
No running to TOS for a bye. Since that series ended, we've had higher standards set by the majority of TNG and DS9 (Voyager and Enterprse are more iffy), but beyond that what I have is a general disdain for contrivance, coincidence, serendipity, and lack of motivation or believability (in the characters or the setting) standing in for writing.

They could have been so much better with so little effort. And as I've said, I did enjoy a lot of elements and moments in both, but they were all combined together into what were, ultimately, seriously bad films. This is said as someone who cried and how good Chris Hemsworth's George Kirk was and how much it hurt to watch him die, who loved this version of Captain Pike, who loved the terrific renditions of Spock and McCoy and Chekov, who was dazzled by the Enterprise taking off out of the ocean even as my brain was shrieking at how ludicrous that was...

But I've made the study, deconstruction, appreciation, and pursuit of what makes a good story my life's passion. These weren't it. They dropped the ball, and there was no reason to.

I like you, @glunark, and I agree with you on a lot. Definitely not this, though.

Meanwhile, I hear there's a new Star Wars flick coming out soon or something... :$

--Jonah

Last edited:
But once you accept that the enterprise can be in the earths atmosphere, no matter how briefly, then you also accept that the earths gravity is something the enterprise can cope with, and that gravity is the same on the ground as it is in the air.

Also, in terms of the show itself, nothing was ever mentioned about the enterprise being built in space, that all came from non cannon books.

Hell even the plaque on the bridge says it was made in San Fransisco.

Aaand the JJhaters are grasping at straws. It's a freakin movie meant for freakin entertainment. And damn did that shot of the Enterprise being built on earth look awesome.

Ben

I work in theatre production. And there's an old adage that says, "parameters inspire creativity" it's an idea that we have seen work time and time again. Those parameters are what allow you to write a coherent script, creating a world that doesn't fry the brain. To present challenges that the audience can overcome with the story.

What bothered me the most about jjtrek is they modified parameters as he went, to serve whatever whim they had with the story, simply for a thrilling staging ground. presuming that the audience would be along for the ride.

That MAY have worked if the film was made in a vacuum, with nothing preceding it. But it wasn't. There were a lot of parameters set out by years of canon. Even withing the film itself.

If someone wants to split the star trek stuff out I will happily continue the debate, but I think we have derailed this star wars thread enough.
at 464 pages, I'm pretty sure it'll get back on track.

Besides, getting Abrams to do this is a bold choice. You can't talk about this movie without debating his credentials

But once you accept that the enterprise can be in the earths atmosphere, no matter how briefly, then you also accept that the earths gravity is something the enterprise can cope with, and that gravity is the same on the ground as it is in the air.

Also, in terms of the show itself, nothing was ever mentioned about the enterprise being built in space, that all came from non cannon books.

Hell even the plaque on the bridge says it was made in San Fransisco.

That is a point that I'll concede to, it shouldn't have happened and the Enterprise should have been built in space but if you're going to show it not only enter a planetary atmosphere but also submerge itself underwater it starts to make some sense to build it planet side. On the other hand, how do we know that they aren't using some form of shielding to support itself in the atmosphere and underwater in which case it once again makes building it planet side pointless and a waste of energy and effort.

As for being built in San Francisco, it's possible the major components for the Enterprise were built in SF and then boosted into space and everything assembled at the Utopia Planetia shipyards. Sort of like how many Japanese or American cars have many of their components manufactured domestically and then all of those parts are shipped overseas for final assembly.

Finally, to bring things sort of back on topic, where do you all think they built the Star Destroyers or the Death Stars? We know for a fact that the second Death Star was built in space, presumably so was the first. I'd argue that like in the original Treks, capital ships like Star Destroyers were all built in space in orbital shipyards.

That is a point that I'll concede to, it shouldn't have happened and the Enterprise should have been built in space but if you're going to show it not only enter a planetary atmosphere but also submerge itself underwater it starts to make some sense to build it planet side. On the other hand, how do we know that they aren't using some form of shielding to support itself in the atmosphere and underwater in which case it once again makes building it planet side pointless and a waste of energy and effort.

We see the enterprise supported by gantries until completion, we have that technology today, are you telling my scaffolding takes more energy and effort than sending all those pieces up into orbit, where anyone who has to work on the ship has to wear a spacesuit?

shipbuilding1.jpg Very large ships are built right now on earth, some of these ships are so long, certain waves at sea can cause them to break their backs because they are unsupported, but while being built, they are supported, and so was the enterprise, I say this not from books, or conjecture, but because its right there in the film.

18npd3blrexjapng.png

As for being built in San Francisco, it's possible the major components for the Enterprise were built in SF and then boosted into space and everything assembled at the Utopia Planetia shipyards. Sort of like how many Japanese or American cars have many of their components manufactured domestically and then all of those parts are shipped overseas for final assembly.

Utopia Planetia shipyards is an invention of TNG, and was never once mentioned in the original series, the ships plaque plainly says...plaque-e.gif
Not built on earth, then sent up bit by bit and assembled in orbit, again what you suggest maybe plausible, but there is nothing in the original show to suggest that is what happened, if your sources are non cannon novels than you also have to accept other novel suggestions, like Kirk and Spock being lovers, or Spock fathering a son with that woman he had sex with to keep them both warm.

79 episodes of TOS never once suggested starships were built in space, and that plaque infers they weren't.

The 1G that you feel on the earth's surface is a pittance to the G forces the enterprise would experience in day to day travel through space, even with we leave warp speeds out of it, just sub light speeds would place far more strain on the ship than measly old gravity.

Inertial dampeners and structural integrity fields hold the ship together in space, and while it wouldn't have had those while under construction, that is what the girders are for.

Finally, to bring things sort of back on topic, where do you all think they built the Star Destroyers or the Death Stars? We know for a fact that the second Death Star was built in space, presumably so was the first. I'd argue that like in the original Treks, capital ships like Star Destroyers were all built in space in orbital shipyards.

Star destroyers are over a mile long, super star destroyers are 15 miles long, to make those on a planet you would have to have a shipyard that countered the curve of the planet, much as my own local humber bridge curves with the earth to help with its mile long span.

Since you wouldn't want a curved ship, they would be made in orbit, and a death star would have to be, since they are the size of a small moon, only a tiny fraction of them would even be in the atmosphere, and the weight would probably crack the mantle.

We have seen star destroyers in the atmosphere though in games, and star wars rebels, plus we saw the other proto star destroyers take off from the ground in the clone wars, so even if not built on the ground, we know a planets gravitational field is no problem for them.

The point remains though, we see the enteprise built on the ground, whether that deviates from your personal head cannon, or some novels wrote by people with only a passing familiarity with star trek, its right there on film, it was made on the ground in the reboot, and there is nothing to suggest it wasnt made on the ground in the original.

If anyone TLDRs, I wouldnt be at all surprised.

79 episodes of TOS never once suggested starships were built in space, and that plaque infers they weren't.
Was it ever suggested that the enterprise could take off from a planet? I realize that they ended up in earths upper atmosphere in the one where they went back to 1969, but I don't ever recall the ability to land and then take off from a planet.

Am I wrong about that?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back