3D Printed Functional Iron Man Mark III

just blown away, i was watching your youtube videos before i joined here lol. just love all of your work, tell you one thing i am a huge superman fan but i think this suit once finished would be so sweet to own lo. when does your production plant open. ;)

First off; Wow, you have made some incredible stuff here. I, like so many, am incredibly jealous of your skills.
I am curious though, the CAD screenshots look like SolidWorks, is that what you're using?

I mean, I use SolidWorks for my design work, but I am nowhere near your level. Not to sound like yet another freeloader, but are you planning on releasing any of the CAD files? I only ask because in the process of making my own suit, the helmet is the thing I've struggled with most & I have a 3D Printer turning up in a month or so.

But seriously though, I am amazed. I think the little mechanism for opening the forearm laser is my favourite so far.
Consider me incredibly intrigued and thoroughly subscribed. I look forward to future progress.

just blown away, i was watching your youtube videos before i joined here lol. just love all of your work, tell you one thing i am a huge superman fan but i think this suit once finished would be so sweet to own lo. when does your production plant open. ;)

Wow, thanks man. And, yeah - a production plant would help me accomplish so much, lol. As soon as I have the funding, I'll just start giving away suits, lol.

First off; Wow, you have made some incredible stuff here. I, like so many, am incredibly jealous of your skills.
I am curious though, the CAD screenshots look like SolidWorks, is that what you're using?

I mean, I use SolidWorks for my design work, but I am nowhere near your level. Not to sound like yet another freeloader, but are you planning on releasing any of the CAD files? I only ask because in the process of making my own suit, the helmet is the thing I've struggled with most & I have a 3D Printer turning up in a month or so.

But seriously though, I am amazed. I think the little mechanism for opening the forearm laser is my favourite so far.
Consider me incredibly intrigued and thoroughly subscribed. I look forward to future progress.

Wow! Thanks so much. I really appreciate the kind words. :)

To answer your questions - yes, I will be making the cad files available. Or, at least the .STL files for people to print themselves. However, they are going to remain under wraps until I get my own suit printed, as it would suck to see someone else use my own files to build a suit before me, lol.

And, I use Autodesk Inventor, which is virtually identical to SolidWorks. I sat down for a weekend about 8 months back and taught myself how to use it. It's become my most valuable tool yet, I think. The technique for making the helmet is adding a front and side view of the helmet into the software. Then, map out all of the necessary points with a 3D sketch. Change the view point so that the points line up with both the front and side images. Then, connect the points with lines/splines/arcs, and then create surfaces from the curves. It takes some finessing to get it just right, but that's what it took to make mine. Then I had to separate the pieces so that I could make the base of the skull rotate up inside the helmet - again, lots of planning and tedious work, but it pays off! :)

OMG THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING BUILD!! I Will be getting my first 3d printer in December and would love to print your amazing designs please share it with the world =D , How many pieces did it take to print the helmet? You said your using a maker bot and that has a limited size so i'm curious how you put it all together.

I'm fairly certain he didnt use the Makerbot Rep2 for this...

I believe he has access/uses the local universities 3D printing lab/equipment.. :)

OMG THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING BUILD!! I Will be getting my first 3d printer in December and would love to print your amazing designs please share it with the world =D , How many pieces did it take to print the helmet? You said your using a maker bot and that has a limited size so i'm curious how you put it all together.

I'm fairly certain he didnt use the Makerbot Rep2 for this...

I believe he has access/uses the local universities 3D printing lab/equipment.. :)

xl97 is correct. The Replicator 2 was, and remains, useless. But, thankfully, the local university opened a 3D print lab in February, and they can handle some much larger and more intricate models. Thanks for the compliments jayjayn, and for the clarification xl. :)

Hey everyone! Just want to inform you that I've finally created my own website:

www.therealtonystark.com

I have been updating progress on this suit on my blog posts there, so feel free to check it (and my other creations) out at your convenience.

However, I will post the latest pics here for those of you who could care less about my website, lol.

Here is the leg armor. This was the most complex portion of the suit, requiring a lot of pre-planning to ensure I can achieve all of the functionality intended.

There are multiple moving parts contained within the tight space between my leg and the armor. If you watch the Mark II suit up scene, you'll notice a series of flaps moving on the back of the calf.

I designed a custom mechanism that would enable the flaps on my suit to mimic the motion seen in the movie. This required the armor to be able to separate from the endotech underneath, and the mechanism that opens the "vent doors" to be contained on the armor piece that moves away from the endotech. So, it was a challenge.

I have managed to pull it off though, and the only things I still need to do are make the toe-section of the boot pivot, add the boot armor, and then enable the back half of the boot to clamp around my leg once I step into it.

Progress continues!

View attachment 228755View attachment 228756View attachment 228757View attachment 228758View attachment 228759View attachment 228760View attachment 228761View attachment 228762View attachment 228763View attachment 228764View attachment 228765View attachment 228766View attachment 228767View attachment 228768

Yup. This is officially too too awesome :lol:cool

I'm totally floored! :wacko Just awesome stuff!:D

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention I've subscribed to this thread!

I don't know quite how I have missed this thread but I'm so glad to have found it. THIS IS AMAZING!!! My mind has been blown and reassembled and re-blown several times so far. Subscribed and watching with awe! :popcorn

hopefully he is still working on it, and the big reveal is coming....
then all our heads will explode from sheer awesomeness
1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion_zps626fe49c.gif

hopefully he is still working on it, and the big reveal is coming....
then all our heads will explode from sheer awesomeness

I hope so. I've been following his work for some time and he has really helped me think differently about how I prototype.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back