Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

That Luke, even briefly, wanted to kill Ben is not a stretch or contrary to his character. In fact, it's the reason why he the thought the Jedi should end. His Jedi training left him ill prepared for that moment, much like all the Jedi. Remember in ROTS when Palpatine directed Anakin to kill Dooku rather than have him face justice. Then when Mace Windu was given the same choice, he also took the dark path choosing to kill Palpatine. Luke, however, recovered from his moment of weakness because he'd moved beyond the teachings of the Jedi, and knew their limitations.

That Luke, even briefly, wanted to kill Ben is not a stretch or contrary to his character. In fact, it's the reason why he the thought the Jedi should end. His Jedi training left him ill prepared for that moment, much like all the Jedi. Remember in ROTS when Palpatine directed Anakin to kill Dooku rather than have him face justice. Then when Mace Windu was given the same choice, he also took the dark path choosing to kill Palpatine. Luke, however, recovered from his moment of weakness because he'd moved beyond the teachings of the Jedi, and knew their limitations.
Exactly. Be it Anakin or Mace, when faced with someone "too dangerous to be allowed to live", the Jedi had a habit of making a mess.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to wait and rent this when it comes out on DVD.
I'm hearing too many negative/divisive things to be excited about it.
I'm not a Star Wars fan anymore, anyway.
There's only been 2 movies I really liked...

I think this movie is going to be more like RotS in its legacy. It'll be divisive now, but in years to come we'll comb through it and realize just how brilliant it was.

I think I'm going to wait and rent this when it comes out on DVD.
I'm hearing too many negative/divisive things to be excited about it.
I'm not a Star Wars fan anymore, anyway.
There's only been 2 movies I really liked...

Why dont you go and watch it? Give yourself a chance to formulate your own opinion about it.

Like any SW movie it has its flaws but I really liked what they did here. For one they managed to made the movie unpredictable. It has more surprises in the plot that I would have imagined. Almost every theory out there was wrong. I agree that it was too long and would have been improved by a more effective editing work. The way Kylo Ren is been explored the more interesting the character has become for me. He is the REAL bad guy every one was expecting. It gives also much more depth to the Luke Skywalker figure. The cinematic quality of it was much more beautiful than TFA. The scenes of Luke's life at the Island are nothing short of gorgeous.

SW fans are getting more and more obsessive about the franchise, I think a lot were pissed about the movie due to its unpredictability. TWA was criticized due that it was too similar to ANH, too formulaic.....this one tries to explore new directions while staying true to the SW universe and get criticized for that. One of the things I liked is how it establishes that the Force is a more wide concept and not the sole exclusivity of a certain lineage. Its no longer the story of the Skywalker family. New heros are coming, new adventures.

A true fan live Adam Savage has nothing but good things to say and we all know how honest he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNdk7JJY6mg

The story arc of who Snoke is and about Rey's parents are also another of the most common critics and that they were not really answered but think of this....do we know the origins with detail of Obi Wan for example? It was never an issue but now, suddenly, not knowing similar things about a character in SW is a big issue! Why? Dissing SW films has become the new cool. A last thing...the fact presented about Force projection is not new. It was presented years ago in the Expanded Universe already. Some SW should really inform themselves a bit more! LOL!

Last edited:
Because those things were never made a deal of by JJ's mystery box directing style. As they were in TFA. It didn't bother me, because I know JJ never finishes what he starts. I had plenty of other reasons to hate the movie.

The story arc of who Snoke is and about Rey's parents are also another of the most common critics and that they were not really answered but think of this....do we know the origins with detail of Obi Wan for example? It was never an issue but now, suddenly, not knowing similar things about a character in SW is a big issue! Why? Dissing SW films has become the new cool. A last thing...the fact presented about Force projection is not new. It was presented years ago in the Expanded Universe already. Some SW should really inform themselves a bit more! LOL!

Obi-Wan never asked that question. To Luke and his story it was an essential question who he was and where he came from. And the audience was invited to think so, too, because he was painted as a young boy living with his uncle and aunt. In most human beings the first question to spring to mind is "why is he alone?", isn´t it?
Rey is introduced in a similar manner, and we are even shown painful moments from her past connected to her parents. So, similar to Luke, the question is raised who Rey´s parents were and why did they leave that little girl on such a remote planet, in a wasteland, having to fend for herself?

It IMO is what Hitchcock out out there as a big nono, messing with the audience and their expectations in a bad way.

Because those things were never made a deal of by JJ's mystery box directing style. As they were in TFA. It didn't bother me, because I know JJ never finishes what he starts. I had plenty of other reasons to hate the movie.
How are you blaming JJ for creating new things to write about and explore, when Rian Johnson snuffed out everything? He ruined not only 8, but also 9. Like I said in the other thread, he wrote JJ into a creative corner. So now JJ was to fix what he tried to start with 7.
CT1138 I think youre the only person I have ever see, that thinks ROTS is "brilliant". :wacko

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you blaming JJ for creating new things to write about and explore, when Rian Johnson snuffed out everything? He ruined not only 8, but also 9. Like I said in the other thread, he wrote JJ into a creative corner. So now JJ was to fix what he tried to start with 7...

Rian did to JJ what JJ did to Roddenberry and Lucas, and I love it. The bad part is that JJ now has to finish it up which he usually sucks at anyway.

Obi-Wan never asked that question. To Luke and his story it was an essential question who he was and where he came from. And the audience was invited to think so, too, because he was painted as a young boy living with his uncle and aunt. In most human beings the first question to spring to mind is "why is he alone?", isn´t it?
Rey is introduced in a similar manner, and we are even shown painful moments from her past connected to her parents. So, similar to Luke, the question is raised who Rey´s parents were and why did they leave that little girl on such a remote planet, in a wasteland, having to fend for herself?

It IMO is what Hitchcock out out there as a big nono, messing with the audience and their expectations in a bad way.

You confirm what I said before. Since the expectations of some fans were not complied its considered a bad movie. Why should Rey parents be important? Because you expect them to be?? LOL!! Some fans seriously think they own the story line! Well, here is the reality of things.....they dont own it. Rey's parents are not important....she is. Just as Obi Wan parents were not....he was. The movie went its own way instead of what some fans wanted and thats the beauty of it. Surprise! I loved that Luke tossed the saber behind its back. To me that was a way of saying to these obsessive fans...."there, thats what I REALLY think of this crap!"" LOL! Fans were putting out all kind of theories about the saber and guess what.....Luke didnt gave two ****es about it! Take that! LOL!

How are you blaming JJ for creating new things to write about and explore, when Rian Johnson snuffed out everything? He ruined not only 8, but also 9. Like I said in the other thread, he wrote JJ into a creative corner. So now JJ was to fix what he tried to start with 7.
@CT1138 I think youre the only person I have ever see, that thinks ROTS is "brilliant". :wacko

Rian did to JJ what JJ did to Roddenberry and Lucas, and I love it. The bad part is that JJ now has to finish it up which he usually sucks at anyway.

I've rethought this, and since TLJ came out, I actually think JJ wanted Rian to do exactly what he did, just snuff out the questions JJ left lingering, because being JJ, he can't come up with answers. He's the executive producer and made a very public statement about how amazing Johnson's script was and that he wished he was directing TLJ.

Either that, or just everyone at LFL has major problems with the truth, which I don't doubt for a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rethought this, and since TLJ came out, I actually think JJ wanted Rian to do exactly what he did, just snuff out the questions JJ left lingering, because being JJ, he can't come up with answers. He's the executive producer and made a very public statement about how amazing Johnson's script was and that he wished he was directing TLJ.

Either that, or just everyone at LFL has major problems with the truth, which I don't doubt for a second.
I'm still amazed that Disney is allowing a serialized trilogy to be plotted out one at a time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm still amazed that Disney is allowing a serialized trilogy to be plotted out one at a time

This is seriously messing with my mind, man!

I totally thought that they had sat in a room with an army of writers and hammered out the entire trilogy.
I mean, why wouldn't you?
It's not really that different from writing an outline for a single screenplay:
Act 1, Act 2, Act 3.
Now take each act and divide it into three of it's own acts and you've got yourself a trilogy.

I can not believe they didn't do this... it's a no-brainer.
The biggest franchise in the WORLD, and they didn't have a plan???
WTF???

This actually is along the lines of something I was thinking about, Rian really did lessen or undo a couple of things that JJ did.

The biggest and most significant (to me, at least) was the magical Skywalker lightsaber? Tossed over Luke's shoulder like yesterday's trash and split in half. The original idea that this lightsaber was found floating in space and all that and had some big mysticism attached to it was kinda lame (in fact, I still think it was backlash that had them scrap the idea). Rian dealt with all that perfectly... although I'm not sure about splitting it in half.

Kylo Ren's helmet? Even Snoke made fun of it. The ripping off the Falcon's new rectangular dish. (A stretch, I know). Knights of who?

Only this time, for good or for worse, he will have too. :)

I compare TFA(being the first movie of a trilogy) to JJ going grocery shopping: "Oh, this looks nice! Oh, this will be good to have in stock! Oh, maybe this will come in handy! Aah, can't leave the store without this!"...

Along comes RJ who's tasked to actually cook a meal and he finds a pantry filled to the brim with the most unlikely and diverse ingredients.
Can't blame the man for discarding half of the goods and only use the ones he deems essential to the recipe he has in mind.

Maybe JJ will repurpose some of the stuff still left in the pantry to make for a delicious dessert, who knows?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You confirm what I said before. Since the expectations of some fans were not complied its considered a bad movie. Why should Rey parents be important? Because you expect them to be?? LOL!! Some fans seriously think they own the story line! ...

No, you did not read what I wrote thoroughly enough. Yes, it is about "expectations of [...] fans", but not the "I have been a lifelong fan, so gimme", but the kind of expectation that is created by the plot of a movie. The difference, again, between the topic of Obi-Wan´s parents and Rey´s parents is that Obi-Wan´s parents never played any role in all of those stories he was featured in. The question was never raised.
Rey on the contrary is introduced as a girl with a longing for her parents, someone who is lonely yet hopeful. The parent question is part of what we know about Rey. And the average curious mind IMO does seek answers in such a situation.
Again, a movie is allowed to play with the audiences expectations, but it is a thin line to walk.

Regarding the lightsaber toss, I cannot tell you why but I would have accepted it more if he had looked at it for a shot while, turned around and had tossed it into the sea. If you want to get rid of something, wouldn´t you toss it away for good, especially if you have really bad memories connected to it?

Regarding the lightsaber toss, I cannot tell you why but I would have accepted it more if he had looked at it for a shot while, turned around and had tossed it into the sea. If you want to get rid of something, wouldn´t you toss it away for good, especially if you have really bad memories connected to it?

I felt the same way about this. I think this falls into the comedic missteps. Had he thrown it into the sea it would have had a bit of weight behind it and shown just how much he was rejecting the ways of old. Instead flipping it over the shoulder punctuated (poor) comedic timing over the drama of the character.

Last edited:
The Last Jedi has continued to score a 92% at Rotten Tomatoes despite, what its IMO nitpicking and over analyzing what in the end is a fantasy movie with a story line originally created for children! LOL! It seems despite the "critics" most people that have seen it have enjoy it. IMO, some fans will never be satisfied and will forever be ruminating about the magic of the original trilogy. The story has evolved to find a new audience and it seems its doing fine.

- - - Updated - - -

This is seriously messing with my mind, man!

I totally thought that they had sat in a room with an army of writers and hammered out the entire trilogy.
I mean, why wouldn't you?
It's not really that different from writing an outline for a single screenplay:
Act 1, Act 2, Act 3.
Now take each act and divide it into three of it's own acts and you've got yourself a trilogy.

I can not believe they didn't do this... it's a no-brainer.
The biggest franchise in the WORLD, and they didn't have a plan???
WTF???

I cant believe you are reaching conclusions about something you have yet to see for yourself. Are you a Force user or something?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back