Captain Cold - CW The Flash

I wanted to share some information with anyone who's looking to add a screen accurate holster to their cosplay - I believe I've managed to ID some commercially available portions Captain Cold's (and Heat Wave's) gun belt and drop leg holster platforms.

It appears that they both use the same Tactical Tailor Cobra Riggers Belt in black and the Safariland Single Strap Leg Shroud, model 6004-10 in black. As for the final part to which each gun actually mounts - I can't imagine it being anything other than a custom piece.

CaptainColdHolsterDropLegPlatformID.pngCaptainColdHolsterBeltID.png

Neither of these pieces is exactly budget friendly for the average cosplayer - $80+ and $50,respectively, on Amazon.

I'm planning on picking up a Cobra buckle, the V-ring found on the belt, and velcro, and making my own belt. Doesn't look too tricky. A quick search of the interwebs shows you can pick up an authentic Cobra buckle for $20ish... and I also found a polymer version of the buckle on the Mil-Spec Monkey website for about half that. And I'm thinking of ordering the Safariland piece and using it as a template. I've been wanting to try out working with Kydex, so no time like the present.

CaptainColdHolsterDropLegPlatformID.png

CaptainColdHolsterBeltID.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested in buying the prototype if you're still interested in selling. Let me know what you're asking for it, and maybe we can work something out.
Thanks.

Sorry man, but I don't think I'll be selling it quite just yet. I found the perfect LED solution for the side bars and will be trying those out before selling anything off.

I had tried LED strips before (just the overpriced 2-LEDs-per-inch crap ones from RadioShack) and was not happy with the results. I tried diffusing using all sorts of ways but couldn't get the uniform lit bar the show's gun has.

Today, I stumbled upon this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...llong-3w-high-power-linear-cob-led/1005/2426/

It is the PERFECT size for the light bars on the side of my Cold Gun! I just ordered a pair of them and they should be here by the end of next week.

Each piece took 6-9+ hours, times seven pieces, times two for each shell half, plus the 8-9 hours for the front panel/bits/cover. Pretty much a solid week of the machine constantly printing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Had some fun sweating myself into an early grave at El Paso Comic Con in the full Captain Cold outfit.

Can't really see it, but the pants are accurate, as is the sweater under that parka.

Had a lot of people comment on the Cold Gun and more than a few say I should do kit runs. As always, I'm open for commissions for those interested.

Had some fun sweating myself into an early grave at El Paso Comic Con in the full Captain Cold outfit.

[url]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/shawngealow/18057900_10212823200243419_8387003154702800661_n_zpsvkbv3zep.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/shawngealow/18034085_10212823199883410_1751677613706829427_n_zpsgd13aqn5.jpg[/URL]

Can't really see it, but the pants are accurate, as is the sweater under that parka.

Had a lot of people comment on the Cold Gun and more than a few say I should do kit runs. As always, I'm open for commissions for those interested.

Looking great all around!

Had meant to reply to the post on the LED bar but never got around to it apparently (doh!)

So how did it work out for you? Happy?
I'd considered going with EL tape myself, but this looks much easier.

Congrats! I'm sure the sweat was worth it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That LED bar is PERFECT. I tried EL tape and wire and decided the light output was just way too low. The LED bars, though, are ridiculously bright. I used an 11.1V RC battery to power them amd had to use a resistor to lower the voltage, it was so bright. I HIGHLY recommend those bars to anyone making a Cold Gun. Perfect size and brightness!

That LED bar is PERFECT. I tried EL tape and wire and decided the light output was just way too low. The LED bars, though, are ridiculously bright. I used an 11.1V RC battery to power them amd had to use a resistor to lower the voltage, it was so bright. I HIGHLY recommend those bars to anyone making a Cold Gun. Perfect size and brightness!

Awesome! I'll plan to get those ordered. Thanks for sharing [emoji1360]

Guys! Holy crap... are you ready for this?! Thanks to this week's episode of Flash and all of those great close ups of Snart's and Barry's feet, I've been able to ID not one, but TWO pairs of screen worn Captain Cold boots! Yay me!

I'm going to gather my reference photos and post them up sometime today. And the best part is that you can still get both style of boot on Amazon.

Knew it was just a matter of time until the right screen capture and a little luck came together =)

Natalie

Okay, here's the first boot, worn in Tuesday night's episode Infantino Street.

It's the Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 Side Zip. You can really see all the detail on the back of the boot - check out the photos. (Below, not sure why they won't show up in the body of the message like the others... whatever).

I was 99% sure on a second boot, but I found a BTS shot from LoT that doesn't match the BTS shot I have from S1 Flash. The tread pattern is pretty definitive, so I'm wondering if there is in fact a third boot in the mix.

So, knowing the folks outfitting the Arrowverse at large are known to stick with a brand that works for them, I started looking carefully at the other Magnum boots to see if I could find something with the very distinct tread that can be seen in a BTS of Wentworth from S1 of Flash. Jackpot! Boot two I ID'd as the Magnum Response II 8" Side Zip.Check out a few reference photos and the boot photo and it looks pretty convincing. And in the wardrobe test shots I think you can see the Magnum on the tongue before it was covered or removed.
5283-pair.jpga7c2b717694b68806d5ae45fd89926ed.jpg58a86d175ad3295360e546f50910642c.pngCC_SABoot_2.jpg

Now this is what makes me think there might be a third pair of boots:
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 7.49.11 PM.png
The detail on the heel doesn't match either of the other boots, but it certainly looks similar. I'd think it was also a Magnum boot, but I haven't been able to dig that one up.
Yet.

Attachments

• 5870-standing.jpg
    5870-standing.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 436
  • 5870-back.jpg
    5870-back.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.06.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.06.06 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 430
  • FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 440
  • CC_SABoot_1.jpg
    CC_SABoot_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 409
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.38.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.38.35 PM.png
    973.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Hey 4219 Industries-

How was the battery life on the LED bars?

I'm getting ready to order those, as well as this power supply:
Talentcell 12V DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip/Light/Panel/Amplifier And CCTV Camera With Charger, Multi-led indicator Black (3000mAh)[/h]
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A24OIV2F0TL1K3

I'm hoping it will end up being lighter, smaller and cheaper in the long run not having to keep replacing batteries.
Was wondering what your experience was with the battery you used.

I'm no electronics genius, I only figure out what I need to to get what I want to work. Wondering if I should order this as well:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ry_of=1005-all_accessories#tab/Specifications

Any issues with heat either?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I keep meaning to share these progress shots with you guys, but always get distracted and never get it done.

I'm pretty pleased with the way my goggles turned out. I learned a few things in the process, so I could probably do a better job, but they're good enough and I can always go back and play if, by some miracle, I manage to not finish this at 2am the night before the convention.

IMG_2436.jpgIMG_2413.jpg

Those goggles look great! Where'd you get the silver side pieces?

As for battery life... I'll let you know as soon as the first charge feom my batteries runs out! I've worn the costume several times since getting the light bars and I haven't had to recharge even once.

Thanks!

After a bit of trial & error and lots of patterns, I made them. Yay me, LOL.

Awesome on the battery life. If you used an 11V and what I'm getting is 12V I'm probably in good shape. Though I know there's more to figuring that out accurately, I'm calling it close enough.

Oh and I forgot to ask... Did you just leave the LED on or were you switching it on and off at all?
Thanks!

Stayed on probably 90% of the time.

For batteries, the 12 or 11 volts just says how "powerful" it is. The mAh value is what you should look at for duration. You can have a 12V battery but if it has a lower mAh value than mine, it won't last as long.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back