Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I used a piece of PVC-like pipe that the light fit into, then I took thin aluminum strips from the nose piece of a couple dust masks to make the details on it. It was a pain to glue them on, but I like the end result. I was also considering using something like foil tape, as it would be less permanent, but way easier to work with.

I'm hoping to get the goggles complete and put up some pics this weekend.

I just ordered the wrap dress fabric Kristen recommended on Ebay yesterday and it shipped out today. :) It says estimated arrival March 3-9th.

Also, YAY PROGRESS!! I've moved forward on something guys! :p

Awesome! I can't wait to see yours done...after all you've been the Mother of this thread!

Please don't hesitate to ask for help if I can assist you in moving forward. <3

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know what the part that holds the cord on the goggles together after it goes through the clips looks like? In every pic it's covered by the head wrap.

Do you mean this little brass part:

goggle%20straps.jpg

i got some thin brass sheet from Lowe's and cut it into short strips and wrapped it round the cord to bind it together and crimped with pliers.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the gloves run true to the sizes they have listed?

yes, I'd say so. I measured around my hand at the knuckle, and going by their chart i ordered the medium. I think they fit perfect.

Hello, I'm new on this forum. I'm actually doing Rey "scavenger" cosplay for the Star Wars Celebration 2016 in London. I've read this all topic and it help me a lot ! Thanks for the tips and advice all of you, you are amazing !

Kristen, I've received the same crinkle viscose from Ebay. I would like to know did you dye it ? (Machine or handwash ?) I've never dye fabrics before, so I'm quite nervous to do it wrong and damage it.
. DSC04697.JPG

I'm curently working on my Peltz gloves too. As my hand are very small (smaller than XS) I've removed some padding to make the gloves less bigger on me, and so I can move my fingers. I had to turn over the gloves mostly 3 times... and cut and sewed a lot (with caution) to do this. It was a really a tough job. Not easy at all, but I'm happy with the result. It's not finish yet, and I still have one more glove to make.

DSC04688.JPG DSC04705.JPGDSC04706.JPGDSC04701.JPG

I add a piece of brown lamb leather for the back, and I've dye for now the gloves in Havane color with Saphir leather paint (french product). I'm thinking about changing the color again, I think it may be too brown to be accurate.

DSC04711.JPGDSC04721.JPGDSC04722.JPG

I've ordered Po-Zu boots tonight, can't wait to receive it ! :D

Attachments

• DSC04696.JPG
    DSC04696.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 71
Kristen, I've received the same crinkle viscose from Ebay. I would like to know did you dye it ? (Machine or handwash ?) I've never dye fabrics before, so I'm quite nervous to do it wrong and damage it.
. View attachment 595748

I hand dyed it.

I put about 3 gallons of hot water into my sink. Then I put in 8 tablespoons of liquid RIT Tan, and about 5 tablespoons of Taupe.

I thoroughly wetted the fabric and put it in. As I worked it with my hands I added a bit more Tan, and then some more taupe. I kept adding bits of each until the colour was as close as I could get it to the picture in the visual dictionary. When it was just slightly darker than that i pulled it out and rinsed it in cold water and dried it in the dryer. :thumbsup

I hand dyed it.

I put about 3 gallons of hot water into my sink. Then I put in 8 tablespoons of liquid RIT Tan, and about 5 tablespoons of Taupe.

I thoroughly wetted the fabric and put it in. As I worked it with my hands I added a bit more Tan, and then some more taupe. I kept adding bits of each until the colour was as close as I could get it to the picture in the visual dictionary. When it was just slightly darker than that i pulled it out and rinsed it in cold water and dried it in the dryer. :thumbsup

Thank you very much ! It will help me a lot ! I'll do that :)

I went for the eBay Rey gloves from Singapore:

overall, they aren't bad for $20.00. They are too dark, but a spot of paint will remedy that. The only details missing that I can see is that there should be a dark brown or black piping along the opening (which i could add) and they seem to be missing the fabric patch on the thumb fronts. (I can add that too).

the main benefit to these is that they are longer (like the D23 gloves) and aren't as bulky as the Petzls (someone can have my pair if they want them).

Is there a link floating around for these? I couldn't find it despite trying several searches. I already have the Petzls but might grab these since they're longer.

I guess theres a PILE of boxes at the house....I head home in a week and have been compiling a stockpile for this for the wife...Ready to see her open it all up and get started

I am in the process of collecting everything to make Rey's Goggles. I know pigskin is used for the top layer. Where are you guys getting your pigskin? Or do you have any fabric left over to spare? It's hard because I don't need to purchase a full yard of it

I ordered the StormTrooper lenses off Ebay but in my option I think its a lil to big. I might have to cut it down.

Also, does anyone have the link or locations of where you bought your arm wraps? I ordered arm sleeves to tack the wrap on.

On other note, my husband surprised me with purchasing Rey's boots!!! I cant wait to get them.

I didn't use pigskin on mine. I just used a piece of cream colored leather from a chair that was getting thrown away at my office. I hit it with sandpaper and alcohol and changed the color a little with acrylic paint, then weathered it after construction. I should have some pics of it in a few days.

....you can see it in this pic at the bottom after I put some gray on it to make it less creamy.

rey-goggles-materials.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of collecting everything to make Rey's Goggles. I know pigskin is used for the top layer. Where are you guys getting your pigskin? Or do you have any fabric left over to spare? It's hard because I don't need to purchase a full yard of it

I ordered the StormTrooper lenses off Ebay but in my option I think its a lil to big. I might have to cut it down.

Also, does anyone have the link or locations of where you bought your arm wraps? I ordered arm sleeves to tack the wrap on.

On other note, my husband surprised me with purchasing Rey's boots!!! I cant wait to get them.

I bought an 8 sq. ft. piece of white pigskin at Tandy because someone wanted me to make goggles for them...so I have lots. I can send you a chunk of it if you like.

The stormie lenses will be covered by the pigskin, and you can cut out only what you want to show...so the size won't matter. besides, they used those lenses for the treal goggles... so the size *is* right.

One detail that some are forgetting when making the goggles is doing the weathering on the lenses. THAT covers up a lot of their apparent size...so keep that in mind.

I originally tried the self stick bandages for the arm wraps, but I didn't like them... they were too bulky. I ended up cutting strips of the Cotton/Hemp Jersey fabric from Dharma left over from my tunic and made arm wraps from that. I wrapped them over the compression sleeves, and then just tucked the loose ends into the sleeves. worked perfect.

Has anyone addressed this seam yet? I'm trying to find out if it's just a 'patch' so to speak, or could it also be on the back?

View attachment 593637

this is the only image online that I can find that shows the seems on her back shoulder area. It is the raglan sleeves as said. Hope this helps.

View attachment 594248

I am loving all the progress everyone is making. Keep up the great work all.

This has been driving me crazy! I've been working towards re-doing the shirt accurately, but this was my hangup. The seams are super obvious when they are at Maz's and she's talking to Finn. But I could never see the seam in the front.

I found this pattern for Simplicity 1063 at Wal-Mart: http://www.simplicity.com/misses-knit-tops/1063.html

The black and white and grey versions have the correct style shoulder seams. The rest of the shirt is off as it's not a henley, but it might be a good reference. I'm going to wing it and see what happens.

I thought I would say you guys are Great on your cosplay costumes right down to every detail, I too love cosplay I play Darth Vader when I play I have the full suit. What impresses me the most is all the help you guys are sharing, I have been reading this thread and love the team around the world helping each other out. I can't wait for Wonderfest coming up in June. I will be there as Vader as usual, Its like becoming another person. Really enjoying this thread. Thanks.....Jim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back