JFcustom's FOAM files

I did not get to finish my Halloween Bossk project so I had to throw together a costume in a flash. Thanks to JF's files I was able to piece together a Quick Dredd costume. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

The helmet took about 4 hours from printing templates to paint to get done. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the whole costume when it was done. :(

JF's C-3P0 files helped do a good helmet for my son's 3P0 costume as well. These files rock!

Attachments

• Dredd Selfie.jpg
    Dredd Selfie.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Kids 1.jpg
    Kids 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 345
View attachment 258204

I wanted to do the Hawkman but really got off on the sizing. I thought my daughter still looked so cute in it though.:)
First attempt wasnt to bad, had alot of trouble around the eye area, plus alot of glue clean up to do.

Should I leave the size alone? I increased that build by 10%, hindsight I should have maybe stepped it down.

I'm kinda lost in why you would increase the size. There is a "Measure Distance Between Two Points" option if you right click on the 2D screen. You can then measure on the inside to see how it would fit.

I'm kinda lost in why you would increase the size. There is a "Measure Distance Between Two Points" option if you right click on the 2D screen. You can then measure on the inside to see how it would fit.

Learning the program as I go, I did measure between two points and felt like I needed to go bigger. I didnt calculate, just hit the "increase by 10%".
Im just gonna chalk it up as a learning mistake and not be in such a rush next time. I tried the Hawkgirl and didnt re-size anything, but..... Im learning that the size of the foam makes a difference depending on the build. So while its not perfect Im proud to have even finished it. :)
2013-11-24_20-34-26_785.jpg

Ahhh.... that is awesome btw!

With sizing... you can't just hit the print button. You have to measure depending on who you are making it for. It also helps to cut the templates out of paper and see how they fit to your face before applying it to foam.

Looks like everyone is having fun with them. :D Keep it up...

Like Durkness said, I did the cap cowl as a test to see if I could use 3mm foam sheets, and when I printed out the template it seemed huge, so I taped it together, and it fit pretty well, so I'm gonna print it again and make a go of it with 3mm sheets I have lying around, I imagine the thin foam should produce a fit similar to the printer paper

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

On the Hawkgirl I used 10mm and 6 mm foam,(mats that come from Harbor Tool Freight), its what I have at the moment. I think its way to thick and made the build process tough when it came to making all the wing "tips" on the back. If I was gonna re-do it, Id probably use 3-5mm thick.

I watched the video on sizing How To Scale Pepakura.mp4 - YouTube Im sure there are more out there, I found it helpful.

photo (1).JPGphoto.JPG

Finally finished my first project after failing miserably on the deathstroke helmet which is completely due to the fact that I fail at following directions. But here it is Mark IV biceps. I feel like I did some of the hills and valleys wrong. Please comment on any tips to make it better.

Just a quick question.

Is there a way to print the files out in a different colour? Like is there a way to change the alien head black to say blue as I have tons of blue ink.

WOW!! As a newbie to all this pep/foam building, I was a bit unsure of making an attempt as I had only seen some erm.... "interesting" costumes but these are amazing!! A great big thank you to ALL! who've contributed here, and swayed a foam/pep virgin to give it a go!

I'm based in the UK and happy to point in you in the right direction for good foam etc if you need help, I've tried numerous different types of foam over the last few months so got numerous sources depending on what you're looking for.

Oh heck yeah.... now you have me excited about airbrushing mine. That paint job looks awesome. I've been waiting on claws for 2 months.... as soon as they land I am finishing mine too!

I'm based in the UK and happy to point in you in the right direction for good foam etc if you need help, I've tried numerous different types of foam over the last few months so got numerous sources depending on what you're looking for.

I am newer to foam building, but what research I have done I have found that this site has good prices on really good quality foam. 72"x48" sheet of 1/4" (~6mm) is only $21.99. Hope this helps.

Cross-Linked Polyethylene Foam, Closed Cell Foam Padding, Foam Rubber Sheets

Oh heck yeah.... now you have me excited about airbrushing mine. That paint job looks awesome. I've been waiting on claws for 2 months.... as soon as they land I am finishing mine too!

I follow your builds and seeing your wolverine cowl gave me that little nudge to build my own. Great job on all of your foam builds. If you find some decent looking claws somewhere let me know. I may be forced to just build my own if I can't find any.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back