New First Order vehicles revealed

It certainly worked for Rogue One, but I wonder how long the Disney poo-bahs will give KK a blank check to fix things before asking, "Why do these things need such massive and expensive fixes in the first place?" I mean, for all intents and purposes they're shooting all of "Han Solo" twice. That's an expensive boo-boo that under normal circumstances would cost people their jobs (not just the directors). I guess Disney will keep the faith as long as the movies and toys make bank, but KK's margin for error has got to be getting thin.

Possibly, yes. Although I think you're spot on that as long as the movies keep being as successful as they have been, KK's position will be safe (as is Disney's investment). At the end of the day she wants the same as all of us. That is, to make the best possible Star Wars films. Still a good way off, but very much looking forward to seeing how the Obi film shapes up.

Hello Guys

If I may venture an opinion here. To be honest, I am not completely on board with the direction these new films are taking. In TFA (and probably will get chewed for this) what I saw was a rehashed narrative and unused or color swapped ship designs. I agree with the members who say we should see the franchise as a whole, but up to ROTJ the ship/vehicle designs have evolved and been influenced by the narrative (Sleek and regional designs during peacetime and heavy greeble laden ones that reflective of a militarized era). In TFA for example, the Resistance and the FO only manage one fighter type, shoe box transports and far shots of an interesting looking shuttle what gives?? I'll admit the TLJ teaser just gave us a glimpse but Disney is continuing this trend (RM A-wing design and production TIE Avenger for the TIE Silencer).

What I am saying is that artist and builders in the previous films went to great lengths to come up with designs that sparked our imagination and made their mark. I don't see that with these new films and really miss it. At the moment I saw the speedy blockade runner being chased by the massive Devastator in the 70's (Yes I know I am old haha) I knew I was in for a ride. Even in the PM, ATC and ROTS the ships and vehicles were varied, cool and made sense. However, if we see the TLJ Teaser, we get rehashed A-Wings, Oversimplified frigates, gorilla type walkers and whatever you want to call the podlike speeder. I don't want to be derogatory here,but there is an apparent sense of laziness in these new films that even transcend to the narrative. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a female lead but not the instant jedi mix we got on TFA (Yes, she is a mechanic, a great pilot and she knows in 35 minutes what to Luke learned in 3 films) come on!

I know it is impossible to recreate the same magic as before, but although Lucas tenure had it winners and losers (Ewoks or Jar Jar anyone?) he was successful in capturing our collective imaginations. I see more interest from our members in kits releases from previous films than in what is to come. I would love Bandai to release a 1/72 B Wing or a 1/350 Blockade Runner or even a 1/72 U-wing for example. I think that Disney has shown more focus in merchandising the new films rather than truly developing the intellectual properly (a flaw that also afflicted Lucas at one time). I just hope that in the process the franchise doesn't deteriorate into some unrecognizable string of films instead of being the sci-fi treasure it has been up to now. Thanks for given me the opportunity to express my opinion and hope I did not offend anyone in the process. Take care and Peace!!!

Outside of the TIEs (because, yeah, there's just no excuse for those), I'm not sure I would agree it's laziness per se on the new films. It seems more a combination of 'well, the fans like them walking things, right? And gotta have X-wings...people will riot if there's no X-wings in the film because people like things they already know, right?' and a lack of a single strong voice, like a Lucas for example, leading the design and pre-viz team, going 'okay, this ship is the product of a society that is like X', drawing on their work, picking up maquettes to look at them from all angles and saying 'this works from this drawing, this bit works from this one, I don't like the back end of this ship, and that doesn't work because it doesn't look functional. Try taking this from here and combining it with this other one (stamp-stamp-stamp - 'rejected'-'rejected'-'good!'). Other than that, totally agree.

Thanks Timmythekid. I think you are correct. A strong single voice is needed for proper visual development. I would not expect a SW film with no X-Wings, come on is like Star Trek without the Enterprise but I would've like a Resistance fleet formed of various fighter types (Y-Wings and B Wings for example) and wouldn't object to different TIE designs for the FO either in TFA. In the trailer for TLJ I saw only one type of frigate and one type of fighter. I mean for these films the visual elements are key and I think to an extent Disney is dropping the ball. When Sci-Fi rebooted Galactica the visual elements and production design enhanced the series beyond the original (albeit Lucas injunction) I just dont see that in the new SW films. Lets hope that the narrative on the TLJ and SW IX pick up the slack. I know they have the potential to do so look at RO it was better than TFA.IMOHO.

I think most of the lack of vehicle inspiration is due to the creative direction and team they used on TLJ. Doug Chiang has been in some way a large chunk of helping with most of the SW movies and shows recently and I have not read much with his involvement during TLJ. If you read articles on the design of the U-Wing, he went through 100's of designs trying to develop something new and also that would fit into the time period oh Rogue One.

Star Wars has leaned heavily on taking concepts of the military vehicles and using it to help inspire the ship and vehicle designs. I hope the new AT-M6 works out well but to come up with a design using a silhouette of a gorilla and having it bought of in a matter of days or a week...that doesn't take a whole lot of "creative" talent.

I think it will work as long as it doesn't walk like a gorilla. The worst design IMO is the Heavy Scout Walker. It just looks ridiculous. Here's LEGO showing how it walks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdJ9g-v0rQ :facepalm
Honestly? I think the only reason that thing hasn't seen as much wrath as it deserves is because we are still collectively in denial of it's existence.

Is it like a fist? A crab?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

980x.gif

Honestly? I think the only reason that thing hasn't seen as much wrath as it deserves is because we are still collectively in denial of it's existence.

Is it like a fist? A crab?

At the risk of sounding like a contrarian, I actually find the Heavy Scout Walker intriguing -- mainly because it's different (which is very George Lucas). Granted, I haven't seen the CG asset from the film or seen it in motion (it could still suck) but I like that they're at least drawing inspiration from something different in nature. It would've been more disappointing to me if they had just beefed up the standard AT-ST design as another OT homage. I'm willing to give this one a chance -- for now.

Don't forget, the Heavy Walker scout could wind up on the cutting room floor like the First Order Snowspeeder, or at least relegated to a blink and you'll miss it appearance like the Tie Striker or background only like the TFA Walkers.

it's probably one of the reasons Bandai stuck with the obvious releases and skipped taking a risk on a ship like the Tie Striker that no one notices in the movie unless you look really hard for it

I think most of the lack of vehicle inspiration is due to the creative direction and team they used on TLJ. Doug Chiang has been in some way a large chunk of helping with most of the SW movies and shows recently and I have not read much with his involvement during TLJ. If you read articles on the design of the U-Wing, he went through 100's of designs trying to develop something new and also that would fit into the time period oh Rogue One.

Star Wars has leaned heavily on taking concepts of the military vehicles and using it to help inspire the ship and vehicle designs. I hope the new AT-M6 works out well but to come up with a design using a silhouette of a gorilla and having it bought of in a matter of days or a week...that doesn't take a whole lot of "creative" talent.

Does anyone know if he is even involved in TLJ? I really enjoyed looking at the Art of R1 and see all the design iterations he and his crew put into the designs of the U-wing. It would be an absolute shame if LF/Disney didn't have him involved in TLJ.

I find it hard to judge a design well from the Lego interpretation- they have to be built from so many cubes with a handful of custom shapes. I like having a military force with a number of different vehicles, just like in real life. I am hoping the Heavy Scout Walker looks better on screen.
Still mostly bummed out about what I have seen for the new movies- I want to crave model kits of new vehicles and with a couple of exceptions there is not much I want on my shelf...

Does anyone know if he is even involved in TLJ? I really enjoyed looking at the Art of R1 and see all the design iterations he and his crew put into the designs of the U-wing. It would be an absolute shame if LF/Disney didn't have him involved in TLJ.

I would like to think that Doug Chiang isn't involved because if he is, he's asleep at the wheel or something. I don't see anything even approaching even the Prequel concept art out of these movies. I've heard people say some of the best stuff from TFA was in the concepts book, but I'm not going to buy one to see.

I find it hard to judge a design well from the Lego interpretation- they have to be built from so many cubes with a handful of custom shapes. I like having a military force with a number of different vehicles, just like in real life. I am hoping the Heavy Scout Walker looks better on screen.
Still mostly bummed out about what I have seen for the new movies- I want to crave model kits of new vehicles and with a couple of exceptions there is not much I want on my shelf...

People keep saying that, but the LEGO stuff is always the same shape as the real version. A LEGO X-Wing doesn't look different than a movie X-Wing, other than being built out of LEGO. I can't see ANY way they could salvage this steaming pile of a vehicle with a model or CGI model!

I would like to think that Doug Chiang isn't involved because if he is, he's asleep at the wheel or something. I don't see anything even approaching even the Prequel concept art out of these movies. I've heard people say some of the best stuff from TFA was in the concepts book, but I'm not going to buy one to see.

People keep saying that, but the LEGO stuff is always the same shape as the real version. A LEGO X-Wing doesn't look different than a movie X-Wing, other than being built out of LEGO. I can't see ANY way they could salvage this steaming pile of a vehicle with a model or CGI model!
I've got both the TFA and rogue one books. The TFA concept art is a lot better than rogue one.

But you'd be amazed at how many "concepts" are simply made by rearranging recognizable parts from OT ships.

They aren't designs at all.

I've got both the TFA and rogue one books. The TFA concept art is a lot better than rogue one.

There's a reason for that. The concept work on Episode VII started before George sold the company, so a chunk of that stuff in the TFA book was from before Kennedy and JJ threw out everything George had planned and they decided to make "The OT Nostalgia Rewakens" instead.

There's a reason for that. The concept work on Episode VII started before George sold the company, so a chunk of that stuff in the TFA book was from before Kennedy and JJ threw out everything George had planned and they decided to make "The OT Nostalgia Rewakens" instead.
That makes perfect sense.

*Fires up season 5 of the clone wars*

Oh yes, you can also see the differences in both TFA and R1 books. Art of R1 designs look like its for a budget movie. Honestly, with JJ back for Ep9. Don't expect to see awesome new ships anymore. Ships he approved in his Trek movies and TFA really were awful. Hope he surprises but don't expect anything.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back