New First Order vehicles revealed

If there's any franchise in the history of franchises that should be immune from a reboot, it's Star Wars. It's one of the few movies that you can legitimately say it's odd that someone hasn't seen it. There's no need to reboot or kickstart a story that everyone already knows the background to. It's actually valid to prejudge Episode IX based on the disaster (MO) of TFA.

As for designs, I've noticed with CGI ships tend to get less and less detailed. Look at the trailer for TLJ and that capital ship, how free of greeblies it is versus the 80's Nebulon B, which was beautifully ugly. Just one example. I think if designers had to piece together and make actual 3d models, designs might be better. Or worse, lol.

On a slightly different note, What gets under my skin is the fanboy hater culture that's out there. I'm not just talking Star Wars. It's even worse with marvel and DC. These guys will tear stuff apart and prejudge an entire film after watching a 30 second teaser trailer. It's ridiculous.

On that we certainly agree. I'm less convinced that "fans" should play any role in how a story is told, particularly Star Wars. Art shouldn't be made taking a poll or by giving into the demands of a committee of self-appointed hyper-obsessives. Fans aren't always right -- and usually they're really wrong. The loudest fans are usually also the first to say, "What they should've done is..." -- which is really about their own arrogance and fantasies that if only their ideas were used everyone would love them. I'll confess -- I've done it. The truth is that no two fans ever agree despite the myth that there is a consensus about what is "wrong" in a franchise.

On that we certainly agree. I'm less convinced that "fans" should play any role in how a story is told, particularly Star Wars. Art shouldn't be made taking a poll or by giving into the demands of a committee of self-appointed hyper-obsessives. Fans aren't always right -- and usually they're really wrong. The loudest fans are usually also the first to say, "What they should've done is..." -- which is really about their own arrogance and fantasies that if only their ideas were used everyone would love them. I'll confess -- I've done it. The truth is that no two fans ever agree despite the myth that there is a consensus about what is "wrong" in a franchise.

Well said! I completely agree!

I agree with both of you. It's been getting tedious lately on a few forums. Nothing seems to please some people. We'll spend countless hours rationalizing how tech works from the OT but then pick apart everything new and say "it doesn't make sense" ect.

Chris

I, for one, am not saying that, but as a prequel fan all I can say is the complaints here are WAY mild compared to the last 18-plus years. I've said many times I have high hopes for TLJ. I also really liked R1. I even liked some of TFA, but, no, I'm not thrilled that JJ is back to make IX. JJ is an excellent craftsman and he's good at executing other people's ideas, but he's cowardly (there, I said it) when it comes to coming up with anything original. And the way he made and promoted TFA by so gleefully throwing Lucas under the bus when Lucas is the entire reason ANY of these folks are even making a paycheck off Star Wars gives me no sympathy toward him. That being said, I hope he makes a great film.

That's what's ironic is that all the people who've bashed the Prequels for years are the same JJ fanboys who jump out to defend it and try to smack down the people complaining about TFA. In at least a couple cases they got people banned over it. Hate the Prequels all you want, but just AOTC or ROTS by themselves had more good ship/vehicle designs than all of the Sequels will put together!

What makes Star Wars different from other franchises goes to the heart of sci-fi nerd psychology. Though nerd culture is more mainstream now than it was 40 years ago, there's still a negative connotation with being a "nerd" -- particularly when it comes to sci-fi. It's still perceived as more "normal" to go to an NFL game than it is to a sci-fi convention. Sci-fi has a long history of being a niche genre, and some of us grew up either being closeted about our sci-fi interests or indifferent to the taunts and teasing from others. When Star Wars came around, however, it became a hit not only with the usual sci-fi nerds, but with the "normals" as well. That's a big part of what makes it great. Here was a movie that we could enjoy as part of the larger "normal" culture. "Hey, the jocks like this movie too!" Star Wars made us all feel cool! Which is why, then, some fans feel threatened when Star Wars suddenly isn't cool. Ewoks. Not cool. The prequels. Not cool. Jar Jar. REALLY not cool. Were any of those things subjectively worse than anything we watched in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Star Trek or any other sci-fi we loved? Hell no. But because they were in Star Wars -- this awesome franchise that made us feel we finally had a seat at the cool kids table -- it became uncomfortable. Did these things really ruin Star Wars, or did they ruin the happy glow of acceptance we felt from others about Star Wars? To me, that's the fundamental source of Star Wars fan conflict. In order to feel validated -- that Star Wars is still cool and, by association, WE are still cool -- these less cool things must be invalidated, even destroyed. The prequels must be shunned. Jar Jar MUST be ridiculed. George Lucas, because he allowed these things to happen and made us feel threatened, must be exiled from his own work and history rewritten to suggest he wasn't even responsible for any of the cool things to begin with. It's a heresy, we're told, for George Lucas to alter his own films even though he made and paid for them. It's perfectly acceptable, however, (and certainly not hypocrisy) when some fan alters and distributes them because he's erasing the flaws and restoring "cool" to them. It's a crime against cinema history if even a frame is changed on the originals, but if Jar Jar were edited out of the franchise, well, history will survive. Because it feels good to be cool. It feels good to be accepted. 'Oh, do you find this one part over here to be not cool? Here, I'll destroy it for you. There. I killed Jar Jar. That felt good. See? All cool again. Like me. I'm one of you."

I'm beginning to suspect that Disney is getting nervous about The Last Jedi. We're in mid-September and there has only been one teaser trailer. The Force Friday stuff has been meh. There's very little buzz given this is the studio's biggest tent pole film of the year (to say nothing of the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time). Given the production problems on Rogue One and Han Solo, and the money they've dropped to fix them, they may be willing to let The Last Jedi be whatever it is and hope Episode IX can atone for any mistakes. I think this is Disney sending a message to investors: "Even if this next one is a disappointment, we've got a safe clean-up hitter for the next one."
100% agreed! Way too quiet!

Maybe JJ and Kasdan can get together for IX and rewrite ROTJ like they did ANH[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm beginning to suspect that Disney is getting nervous about The Last Jedi. We're in mid-September and there has only been one teaser trailer.

I'm not so sure that's the case at all mate. Both TFA and TLJ released their first teasers around the same time, and in TFA's case the trailer dropped in October. I suspect the same will hold true for TLJ, and IX will follow the same pattern. If rumours are to be believed, the higher ups are very confident in this film.

I'm not so sure that's the case at all mate. Both TFA and TLJ released their first teasers around the same time, and in TFA's case the trailer dropped in October. I suspect the same will hold true for TLJ, and IX will follow the same pattern. If rumours are to be believed, the higher ups are very confident in this film.

I mentioned earlier, TFA's teaser came out in November 2014, over a year before the movie's release. It's second full trailer "Chewie, we're home" was dropped at Celebration in the summer of 2015. TLJ's teaser didn't come out until April of this year (six moths later than TFA's timeline) and we still haven't seen a second trailer. So they're most definitely behind, trailer-wise. Is this proof of anything? No. But my suspicion is based on a number of factors: the extensive and expensive re-shoots on both Rogue One and Han Solo coupled with the decision to drop Colin T and replace him with J.J. on Ep IX. Confidence is sometimes measured more in actions than in rumors. I could be wrong. I HOPE I'm wrong. If I am wrong, I will absolutely say so. I really want TLJ to be the best Star Wars film yet. :cheers

I mentioned earlier, TFA's teaser came out in November 2014, over a year before the movie's release. It's second full trailer "Chewie, we're home" was dropped at Celebration in the summer of 2015. TLJ's teaser didn't come out until April of this year (six moths later than TFA's timeline) and we still haven't seen a second trailer. So they're most definitely behind, trailer-wise. Is this proof of anything? No. But my suspicion is based on a number of factors: the extensive and expensive re-shoots on both Rogue One and Han Solo coupled with the decision to drop Colin T and replace him with J.J. on Ep IX. Confidence is sometimes measured more in actions than in rumors. I could be wrong. I HOPE I'm wrong. If I am wrong, I will absolutely say so. I really want TLJ to be the best Star Wars film yet. :cheers

Fair play. I'm quite happy that the folks in charge (namely KK), aren't afraid to make big changes if things don't appear to be going well. It seemed to work for Rogue One, and if what we hear about Han Solo is true, then I'm also glad the change in director was made. I guess it's also because I'm not a fan of Trevorrow at all, so this news pleased me somewhat (not that I like to see anyone being sacked). Not that JJ was my preferred choice but it is what it is now and hopefully he learned from his mistakes in TFA. I do think TLJ will be fanatastic though. I very much like RJ's output and have confidence in that he will deliver. Really hope I'm right :)

Yes, but TFA didn't have a Star Wars movie to interfere with when its first teaser dropped. Lucasfilm wasn't going to release anything about TLJ while they were still promoting Rogue One.

A better comparison would be Rogue One's ad campaign

Teaser Trailer- 4/7/16
Trailer 1 - 8/11/16
Trailer 2 - 10/13/16

Looking at it that way, we're only about 1 month "past due" on the first trailer. The shakeup on Han Solo and Episode IX is probably factoring into this.

Honestly, I would be very happy if they just released one trailer, I hate spoiler-filled trailers (or trailers that show off all the cool scenes before the film).

for comparison, the phantom menace
nov 13, 1998 - teaser
mar 12, 1999 - trailer
may 19, 1999 - release

Yes, but TFA didn't have a Star Wars movie to interfere with when its first teaser dropped. Lucasfilm wasn't going to release anything about TLJ while they were still promoting Rogue One.

Looking at it that way, we're only about 1 month "past due" on the first trailer. The shakeup on Han Solo and Episode IX is probably factoring into this.

All good points. Again, it's not just the trailers, but a feeling based on cumulative events. There's no doubt that firing two (really three) directors in a span of a little over two months -- in the case of "Han Solo" when they were literally two weeks away from wrapping production (factoring out VFX, that's got to be over 70% of the film already in the can!) -- has undoubtedly been a Jango Fett-style seismic blastwave throughout Lucasfilm HQ. It's surprising they're releasing a film at all! :popcorn

From everything I've heard, Kathleen Kennedy and Disney are very happy with The Last Jedi, so much so that Rian Johnson seemed to be under serious consideration to direct the next movie after Colin Treverow was dropped. I haven't heard anything about any major retooling of TLJ. And I think the schism between TFA's reception and the prequels is that for those that did like TFA, they liked it on a very emotional level, even if they were aware of its narrative and other flaws. Whereas you could appreciate the prequels perhaps on a storytelling/world-building level but the way they were made seemed to distance people emotionally. So I think maybe fans' feelings are hurt a bit more when they have to defend TFA. :)
Speaking of modeling(!), I bought three of the TLJ kits out of curiosity. The AT-M6 at least has a decent amount of parts for this sort of thing but overall these are much more primitive and toy-like than even the earlier Revell kits. But I have to say the A-Wing is pretty neat. My only problem with it is the scale of the engines, which I assume is something carried over from the film design--I always thought the whole idea of the A-Wing was to put huge bulky engines on a little sports car body, but the engines on this one are kind of tiny. I think I will buy another one and add engines that are more to scale with the original A-Wing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back