Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I'm only going to comment in this thread once because I know it's about to devolve into the same SW back and forth that's been going on for the last 20 years since the Special Editions and I don't need to stick around for that.

Personally, I am fine with JJ coming back to finish out the trilogy. Even with it's flaws I thought TFA was a fun movie and it was light years ahead of the prequels in every way, shape and form. Given the choice between him and frowny Jurassic World boy I'll take JJ every time because he's familiar with the characters and he knows how to deliver action/sci-fi spectacle on a level that few in Hollywood can match. I'm just interested to see how Mark Hamill feels about this because he definitely wasn't the biggest fan of how JJ handled Luke's character in TFA.

Nobody doubts the energy he puts into his films , but he also constantly sacrifices story structure and honest scripting choices for terribly misjudged and poorly thought out action sequences and character direction in an efffort to be cool and to out do the original source material and himself.
I had alot of faith in him for TFA but there are moments in it that I simply cannot stand to watch now. Kylo Ren stopping a lazer bolt mid air, Han leaping out of hyperspace literally next to a mountain, Poe shooting down ten Tie fighters in ten seconds, a giant pokemon Deathstar ten times the size of the original that destroys entire solar systems that sucks the life out of the stars as well now!!!!!! I could go on but if you've read my posts in the TFA thread you'll know what I mean.
I hope Kathleen Kennedy has got her story group on speed dial because JJs also apt to royally screws things up for the future by introducing massively unexpected technological and character leaps in capability that often destroy the logic of the script and have horribly disabling consequences for later storys.
I've got to admit I'm filled with disappointment.

PS Even more now that I have read Rian turned it down.

Last edited:
He'll open the box, and we'll all be blinded by lens flare.

And we all know what happens when you open a mystery box:

Belloq1.jpg

I think JJ is a good showman and even better mimic, but I don't have much faith in his ability to tell an original story. Hopefully, Johnson's movie will force them to go in a new direction for the finale.

YES!!! YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can hear everyone whining already, but I'm super excited. I love JJ...

I hope he just closes this out brilliantly and shuts everyone up. He said he was jealous of the episode 8 script... and I bet a lot of that is the freedom to not be beholden to the safe reboot.

I believe in JJ... I've loved him since Felicity...

So stoked.

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I hope he just closes this out brilliantly and shuts everyone up. He said he was jealous of the episode 8 script... and I bet a lot of that is the freedom to not be beholden to the safe reboot.

So stoked.

I 100% agree with you here! My last post in this thread was "bring back J.J. and Kasdan." No Kasdan as of yet. But I love that J.J. is coming back. He saved Star Wars and made episode 7 feel like Star Wars. I have all the faith in him.

In JJ I trust! Huge fan of him. I'll put my life on the line that we will be left with a cliff hanging ending for ep9...

And as for the posts above about him answering questions "LOL good luck"

...Never will happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more concerned about this little tidbit...
Chris Terrio, who co-wrote Argo and Batman v. Superman, will co-write with JJ.

On a side note, I hope JJ watched Rogue One, and learned a little about filming space battles. Also...please for the love of all that is holy...don't include another Death Star.

I'm only going to comment in this thread once because I know it's about to devolve into the same SW back and forth that's been going on for the last 20 years since the Special Editions and I don't need to stick around for that.

Personally, I am fine with JJ coming back to finish out the trilogy. Even with it's flaws I thought TFA was a fun movie and it was light years ahead of the prequels in every way, shape and form. Given the choice between him and frowny Jurassic World boy I'll take JJ every time because he's familiar with the characters and he knows how to deliver action/sci-fi spectacle on a level that few in Hollywood can match. I'm just interested to see how Mark Hamill feels about this because he definitely wasn't the biggest fan of how JJ handled Luke's character in TFA.

To be accurate, Mark didn't have an issue with JJ's handeling if Luke, he had an issue with Luke's absence from the film. He also realized he was wrong about that when he saw the final product.

So stoked.

I'll stand by my assertion that TFA was more or less a soft re-boot of ANH with far too much similarity to the original source material.

I understand why it was done and it was done well and I did enjoy TFA, but if I wanted to watch ANH, I'd stick in my Harmy blu-ray.

Hopefully now that the franchise is in full swing, it will give him the a little more leeway to do his own thing as opposed to just doing a close copy... but for the love of all that is unholy, I hope he fixes his pacing and stops telegraphing everything...

My biggest complaint about TFA was that there was no suspense - oh no! Han and Fin have been captured... what's goi... oh wait... here come x-wings....

I'll stand by my assertion that TFA was more or less a soft re-boot of ANH with far too much similarity to the original source material.

I understand why it was done and it was done well and I did enjoy TFA, but if I wanted to watch ANH, I'd stick in my Harmy blu-ray.

Hopefully now that the franchise is in full swing, it will give him the a little more leeway to do his own thing as opposed to just doing a close copy... but for the love of all that is unholy, I hope he fixes his pacing and stops telegraphing everything...

My biggest complaint about TFA was that there was no suspense - oh no! Han and Fin have been captured... what's goi... oh wait... here come x-wings....

There was a brief moment I wanted James Gunn. I've stated a million times my love for Guardians Vol 2.

But where Marvel let Gunn write and direct the movie he wanted to make, Disney would hold him back too much.

I feel like JJ has earned Disney's trust at this point and wouldn't be as controlling as they would with someone they see as a "up and coming" director.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back